Bypass factory amp ? HELP! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bypass factory amp ? HELP!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
mpsldr05
1998 ZJ 

just thowing this out there, i have a 1998 and the speakers are eh 12 years old now... and just getting the replacement speakers seamed like a much cheaper deal to me, you can get them thru the dealership, and if you need more bass just go to a sound shop and pay the guy the $50 and have him jump into the speaker line alrady in the back of the jeep? yeah you loose quality but you can make up for that with a high quality amp.

mpsldr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
mpsldr05
1998 ZJ 

i mean can the stock one be all that bad if we are talking about replace speakers and amps and headunits that have lasted at a min of around 12 years or so for some of us?
mpsldr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
systemlord
1999 WJ 

I simply put a new head unit in and spliced the speaker wires of the amp input/output wires together. This eliminates the dash tweets though if you want to retain a 4 ohm load. You would think that someone would have come up with a harness to plug the amp input/output by now but it appears that splicing is the only way to go.
systemlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

Unless you are adding a sub, it's fine and sounds goo just replacing the speakers and head unit. Then later if u add a sub you can run the RCA cables from rear of stereo to the back for sub and the amp for the sub. Your aftermarket stereo should have built in cross over so te infinity amp will run stock speaker locations and act as mids and highs while ur bass goes to sub. Has worked for 12 years in mine.
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #20
fjsb55
2005 KJ Liberty 

systemlord - Would you mind posting which pins you spliced to which when you bypassed the amps? I'd like to make sure I get it right the first time.

Side note: This in-door amp setup is pretty lousy in my opinion.
fjsb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
systemlord
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjsb55 View Post
systemlord - Would you mind posting which pins you spliced to which when you bypassed the amps? I'd like to make sure I get it right the first time.

Side note: This in-door amp setup is pretty lousy in my opinion.

I don't remember exactly off hand... But the colors do not match!! It took me about an hour and a half to do mainly because I was very careful to get everything right including the polarity. Do a search of the amp here and you will find the diagram of the input/output of the amp. Simply follow that guideline and crimp or solder the wires together. Once done you can tuck the wires up under the carpet, get rid of the amp and you will never know it was ever there.
systemlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
zowtiak
1994 ZJ 

bypassing the amp

So I guess i thought this would be easier.
I just bought this from amazon. I am guessing it is not as easy as pulling plugs out of amp and putting into this. Or is it...
zowtiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

When I uprgraded/replaced the speakers in my 97(wrecked), I just kept the factory amp. It was more than loud enough that I never had the volume fully cranked, and the sound quality was good. I'd replace the speakers, see if you like it, and go from there. I'd love to swap that amp into my 98, if it was plug and play. I will be swapping the speakers soon, the ones in my 98 are shot.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.