Bypass factory amp ? HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bypass factory amp ? HELP!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

Bypass factory amp ? HELP!

I am trying to install 4 new speaker to replace the blown infinity gold speakers. I have been reading old threads and speaking to best buy and tweeter and I am see different answers from everyone.... My head unit has a built in 4x50 watt amp.

Option 1: Bypass the amp with speaker wire?
Option 2: Use the amp, it will still sound good?
Option 3: Leave the factory amp, my headunit will recognize, and bypass the factory amp itself?
Options 4: Take out the factory amp and splice the incoming/out going wires together. So that i do not have to bother with rewiring?

Option 4 makes the most since to me, getting rid of the stock amp without the hassle of rewiring from the amp output to the headunit. Some people said that the sound would not be as good but i do not see why. Even if i rewired from the head unit to the amp output, all the rest of the wire would be the old stuff... resulting in the same outcome...right?

HELP>>>>>>

Unread 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Your Head unit is probably 50wx4 max, more like 20 watt RMS. I just installed a headunit and left the amp hooked up. I'm using 2ohm speakers and didn't want to risk anything as my head unit is only rated for 4 and 8 ohm speakers.
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

Yes, my amp is a 4x50w surround stereo. You think I should keep the factory amp, or purchase a better one?
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

And my speakers are 150W Peak Power (35W RMS).

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/speakers/XS-GT1325A
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Option 1 or 4. I've done both. 4 can be a pita because the input colours change on the output side. If you go with 4, go to the dealer and ask them to print off a copy of the wiring for you.
I prefer option 1. It's as easy as 4 and then you know you wont have to deal with old cracked ohm leaking wiring. Your also prepared for any future upgrades. Pull your console and run some wires. Might as well run wiring for a future amp while your at it.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Drparj
2001 WJ 

I just used an aftermarket deck with factory amp and aftermarket speakers, sounds great. I added an aftermarket amp and sub for some more thump
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
BradMB2004

here ya go

10 minutes max

1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxl
Option 1 or 4. I've done both. 4 can be a pita because the input colours change on the output side. If you go with 4, go to the dealer and ask them to print off a copy of the wiring for you.
I prefer option 1. It's as easy as 4 and then you know you wont have to deal with old cracked ohm leaking wiring. Your also prepared for any future upgrades. Pull your console and run some wires. Might as well run wiring for a future amp while your at it.
Even if I run new wire from bypassing the amp to the headunit, all of the rest of the wire is going to be the same old stuff, so it wouldn't even make a difference, unless i replaced every single part of old speaker wire, right?
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

I may be wrong, but i think in some cases, the amp limits the wattage going through the wire?
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
rxl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatRoCk
Even if I run new wire from bypassing the amp to the headunit, all of the rest of the wire is going to be the same old stuff, so it wouldn't even make a difference, unless i replaced every single part of old speaker wire, right?
Correct. Run new wires to the old before the front door then use the old to fish them through the door boot. done
Lift out the center console and run wires through it. Cut a small hole under console in carpet. Pull back seats out, pull carpet up, push coat hanger from hole out the back and pull wires through. Run the wires for rears up the center post into the door boot. Also using old wires to fish. I've owned 20 of these dodge infinity systems so I guess I'm used to doing them.
Or refer to provided perfect pics above and bypass the amp for now using the stock wires. Worked for me on occasion.

Canadian Jeep Club Member #7

99 GC limited
4.7 Quadradrive

97 TJ Sport
4.0 5 speed

99TJ Sahara
4.0 Auto

Sold to a life of blacktop
94 ZJ Limited
I6 Quadratrac
rxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

Thanks rxl, I think I might rewire everything once spring comes back around being that I do not have a garage.

Did everyone else bypass the amp by using the old wire and splicing together?
Did any one ever find a harness to do this function?
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i have all new wiring run to the front doors through the boot. of course i've only got fronts and subs, which is all you need if you have good components.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
sixpackFL
1997 ZJ 

My Suggestion: Buy your own amp(s) to match your speakers and re-wire it all. Using the stock amp on new speakers or using just the head unit will sound terrible. Talk about distortion and no way to adjust it all! It's not that hard and will be better if you upgrade later as well.

I installed a brand new system with some used parts and it really thumps:
Basic head unit running with RCA wires to an Alpine Amp (EQ is critical - Apline 11 Band with BBE and bult in crossovers are best, get a used on e on ebay), Then run RCA wires from the EQ to the amps then good speaker wire to all the speakers. Use monster cable for power if you like but it's not necessary.

This will allow you to adjust the watts on the amps and the head unit plus use the EQ to smooth it all out. It's better to go more watts on the amps and have the amps turned down for better sound. Get one or two 8"+ woofer(s) and a second amp for it to really kick your music right.

"Auto Audio" is a good book and will teach you the basics.

Good luck!
sixpackFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
FlatRoCk
1998 ZJ 

I just bypassed the factory amp using the stock wires. This sounds a little better running from my headunit amp than it did from the factory, but still has lots of bass distortion...
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

you can just install the new head unit and the new speakers with the exisiting amp and wires and it will sound better than the infinity did....no reason to re-do all of it -- i run my door speakers on the infinity amp, my two 6x9's on one amp and then one 12" sub on one amp....
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.