Bushing gap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bushing gap?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Bushing gap?

I got 26mm MOOG front sway bar bushings. I went out to see if it would fit. When on the bar, there is a small gap and the bushing doesn't fully wrap around the bar. Is this normal? Would the gap close when I put the bracket back on?

Unread 09-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

It's normal and it will close when you put the bracket on.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
It's normal and it will close when you put the bracket on.
GREAT NEWS thank you!
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

So I'm trying to put the bushings in and I'm having a little problem. When I get the bracket on, and tighten down one of the bolts MAYBE two threads in, I go to start the other and it doesn't want to reach to thread into the hole. I've tried pushing the bracket with all my force, nothing. Tried taking the nut off the top of the sway bar link to get more room/freedom to push, still nothing. Tried using vice grips to clamp squeeze the bracket and frame, nothing. Any ideas? Should I get 28MM bushings? I measured the bar and came with 26MM and I'm using 26MM...It's supposed to be an easy replacement...
phpqp75j6am.jpg

phpzgzkxtam.jpg

Unread 09-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

found that the new bushing doesnt want to fit flush with the bracket when full seated like the old one does. This I THINK causes my problem
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

My front poly bushings were universal so I used the brackets that came with them. They did have a small gap until tightened down but the gap was maybe 1/16" to 1/8". Is the bracket making the gap in the bushing open up in that first pic? That looks like more than a small gap. How did you measure your sway bar? I use my digital caliper but you can use an adjustable wrench (crescent) adjusted tight on the bar and then measure the gap. When you say it won't sit flush when fully seated do you mean that it sits in the bracket with just a small gap but sticks out past the mounting flange? The poly is harder than rubber so it can be harder to get everything bolted down but it sounds like you may have some other issue.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
found that the new bushing doesnt want to fit flush with the bracket when full seated like the old one does. This I THINK causes my problem
Make sure all rust is cleaned from behind the bracket . The new bushing fills it up pretty good . I've had issues getting them back on occasionally . I suggest a dab of grease on the bracket side of the bushing . Also , if you can apply some pressure via a jack/wood block , you won't have an issue getting them on . Most times , I can apply just enough force pushing against the bar .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

It was the rust issue...that stuff is like cancer
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
It was the rust issue...that stuff is like cancer
You're all bolted up I assume ?

Your gonna notice a nice improvement with these new bushings . I change them regularly . Twice so far on the Slate 5.9 and soon due again in 4 years . Typically , they are soft and worn out in about 15-20k .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
You're all bolted up I assume ?

Your gonna notice a nice improvement with these new bushings . I change them regularly . Twice so far on the Slate 5.9 and soon due again in 4 years . Typically , they are soft and worn out in about 15-20k .
Yup! Now time for the rear! All four bolts are rusted and can't be removed with a 19v battery impact wrench, or ratchet and I have no access to air tools. I think I literally have to breaker-bar these all the way off with brute force...

Does anyone know if the rear bolts are the same spec as the front? I'm just going to buy 4 new ones to replace em...
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Yup! Now time for the rear! All four bolts are rusted and can't be removed with a 19v battery impact wrench, or ratchet and I have no access to air tools. I think I literally have to breaker-bar these all the way off with brute force...

Does anyone know if the rear bolts are the same spec as the front? I'm just going to buy 4 new ones to replace em...
Grade 10.9, M14 x 2.0 x 105mm (lower arms)

I used a jack and a ratchet to get my bolts off and a good amount of PB blaster.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Grade 10.9, M14 x 2.0 x 105mm (lower arms)

I used a jack and a ratchet to get my bolts off and a good amount of PB blaster.
I was actually talking about the sway bar bushing bracket bolts BUT I'll probably need that information soon anyway. And I broke one bolt already, the other three are still in.
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

I was actually talking about the sway bar bushing bracket bolts BUT I'll probably need that information soon anyway. And I broke one bolt already, the other three are still in.
Oh lol woops

No idea why I thought that.
Maybe somebody secretly replaced my coffee with decaf. And the Browns are winning, so something is definitely off today.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Well...the extractor snapped inside the broken bolt...guess I gotta take it to a mechanic Thursday to get it fully fixed...joy...
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Rear sway bar was worthless to me. I never noticed it gone.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.