JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Bushing gap? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/bushing-gap-1606457/)

ZJNewbi3 09-20-2013 01:46 PM

Bushing gap?

I got 26mm MOOG front sway bar bushings. I went out to see if it would fit. When on the bar, there is a small gap and the bushing doesn't fully wrap around the bar. Is this normal? Would the gap close when I put the bracket back on?

zjosh93 09-20-2013 02:05 PM

It's normal and it will close when you put the bracket on.

ZJNewbi3 09-20-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zjosh93 (Post 16178281)
It's normal and it will close when you put the bracket on.

GREAT NEWS thank you! :thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

ZJNewbi3 09-21-2013 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm trying to put the bushings in and I'm having a little problem. When I get the bracket on, and tighten down one of the bolts MAYBE two threads in, I go to start the other and it doesn't want to reach to thread into the hole. I've tried pushing the bracket with all my force, nothing. Tried taking the nut off the top of the sway bar link to get more room/freedom to push, still nothing. Tried using vice grips to clamp squeeze the bracket and frame, nothing. Any ideas? Should I get 28MM bushings? I measured the bar and came with 26MM and I'm using 26MM...It's supposed to be an easy replacement...

ZJNewbi3 09-21-2013 12:26 PM

found that the new bushing doesnt want to fit flush with the bracket when full seated like the old one does. This I THINK causes my problem

zjosh93 09-21-2013 07:38 PM

My front poly bushings were universal so I used the brackets that came with them. They did have a small gap until tightened down but the gap was maybe 1/16" to 1/8". Is the bracket making the gap in the bushing open up in that first pic? That looks like more than a small gap. How did you measure your sway bar? I use my digital caliper but you can use an adjustable wrench (crescent) adjusted tight on the bar and then measure the gap. When you say it won't sit flush when fully seated do you mean that it sits in the bracket with just a small gap but sticks out past the mounting flange? The poly is harder than rubber so it can be harder to get everything bolted down but it sounds like you may have some other issue.

newfieZJ 09-21-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 16199017)
found that the new bushing doesnt want to fit flush with the bracket when full seated like the old one does. This I THINK causes my problem

Make sure all rust is cleaned from behind the bracket . The new bushing fills it up pretty good . I've had issues getting them back on occasionally . I suggest a dab of grease on the bracket side of the bushing . Also , if you can apply some pressure via a jack/wood block , you won't have an issue getting them on . Most times , I can apply just enough force pushing against the bar .

ZJNewbi3 09-21-2013 08:52 PM

It was the rust issue...that stuff is like cancer

newfieZJ 09-21-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 16210217)
It was the rust issue...that stuff is like cancer

You're all bolted up I assume ?

Your gonna notice a nice improvement with these new bushings :thumbsup: . I change them regularly . Twice so far on the Slate 5.9 and soon due again in 4 years . Typically , they are soft and worn out in about 15-20k .

ZJNewbi3 09-21-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 16210345)
You're all bolted up I assume ?

Your gonna notice a nice improvement with these new bushings :thumbsup: . I change them regularly . Twice so far on the Slate 5.9 and soon due again in 4 years . Typically , they are soft and worn out in about 15-20k .

Yup! Now time for the rear! All four bolts are rusted and can't be removed with a 19v battery impact wrench, or ratchet and I have no access to air tools. I think I literally have to breaker-bar these all the way off with brute force...

Does anyone know if the rear bolts are the same spec as the front? I'm just going to buy 4 new ones to replace em...

JeepNicholson 09-22-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 16212497)

Yup! Now time for the rear! All four bolts are rusted and can't be removed with a 19v battery impact wrench, or ratchet and I have no access to air tools. I think I literally have to breaker-bar these all the way off with brute force...

Does anyone know if the rear bolts are the same spec as the front? I'm just going to buy 4 new ones to replace em...

Grade 10.9, M14 x 2.0 x 105mm (lower arms)

I used a jack and a ratchet to get my bolts off and a good amount of PB blaster.

ZJNewbi3 09-22-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepNicholson (Post 16221353)
Grade 10.9, M14 x 2.0 x 105mm (lower arms)

I used a jack and a ratchet to get my bolts off and a good amount of PB blaster.

I was actually talking about the sway bar bushing bracket bolts BUT I'll probably need that information soon anyway. And I broke one bolt already, the other three are still in.

JeepNicholson 09-22-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 (Post 16221465)

I was actually talking about the sway bar bushing bracket bolts BUT I'll probably need that information soon anyway. And I broke one bolt already, the other three are still in.

Oh lol woops

No idea why I thought that.
Maybe somebody secretly replaced my coffee with decaf. And the Browns are winning, so something is definitely off today.

ZJNewbi3 09-22-2013 04:31 PM

Well...the extractor snapped inside the broken bolt...guess I gotta take it to a mechanic Thursday to get it fully fixed...joy...

speedbucket 09-22-2013 09:28 PM

Rear sway bar was worthless to me. I never noticed it gone.....

The time now is 01:56 AM.