Burning brakes, grinding noise, knocking in rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Burning brakes, grinding noise, knocking in rear

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Burning brakes, grinding noise, knocking in rear

Hey all, just a quick question as to what could be going on. I lifted my ZJ Friday/Saturday and had new brakes put in. The front left brake smells like its burning and at one point my pedal got really squishy. Then whenever I turn all the way to the right it sounds like my tire is rubbing on something but I've checked and it seems there can't be anything for it to rub on. That same tire when I make even the slightest left turn it sounds like metal rubbing metal. As far as the rear end goes it sounds like something smacking my wheel well but again nothing i can see that would hit it. It did it before the lift but now it's just intensified. I know I need a new wheel bearing hub and CV Boot on the front left side, but I don't know if any of that is a contributor. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/k...97-zj-1560500/
KoltenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

When you say "new brakes" what exactly do you mean? Just new pads or more? Caliper could be sticking on the front causing the pads to remain in contact with the rotor. If this is the case, it could be a collapsed brake line or just time for new ones.

As far as the sound you're hearing when you turn left, it sounds like the hub you say is already bad. Jack it up and get that wheel off the ground, grab it at 6 and 12 o'clock and see if there's any play.

Not sure why you'd lift it with it already having these issues though...
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Just pads. Rotors and Calipers were fine. And the knocking was the only thing it was doing before hand.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoltenZJ View Post
Just pads. Rotors and Calipers were fine. And the knocking was the only thing it was doing before hand.
Pads and rotors work together and should be replaced together. After which you should follow the proper bedding procedure. At the very minimum, rotors should be resurfaced. But since rotors are dirt cheap anyway its foolish to resurface.

Sounds like the calipers are not fine. I've lost count of the number of times an old caliper started sticking after replacing pads and rotors. Collapsed brake line is also a possible culprit.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Pads and rotors work together and should be replaced together. After which you should follow the proper bedding procedure. At the very minimum, rotors should be resurfaced. But since rotors are dirt cheap anyway its foolish to resurface.

Sounds like the calipers are not fine. I've lost count of the number of times an old caliper started sticking after replacing pads and rotors. Collapsed brake line is also a possible culprit.
That could be the burning but the rubbing is what's getting me the most, I hate noises so much you'd think I'm crazy.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

"Just pads. Rotors and Calipers were fine. And the knocking was the only thing it was doing before hand. "

So the knocking was the reason for changing the brakes?
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

This is on a 1997 grand cherokee with a 5.2-correct? Stupid question but is the axle still attached at the frame? I have seen a couple mounts break/rust off the frame.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1mj View Post
"Just pads. Rotors and Calipers were fine. And the knocking was the only thing it was doing before hand. "

So the knocking was the reason for changing the brakes?
The reason for changing my brakes was the pads were garbage.
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
This is on a 1997 grand cherokee with a 5.2-correct? Stupid question but is the axle still attached at the frame? I have seen a couple mounts break/rust off the frame.
Yes it is. I found where it's rubbing when I have the wheel turned all the way to the right. So solved that. However when I have it turned left even ever so slightly it makes the metal on metal sound.
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

"I know I need a new wheel bearing hub and CV Boot on the front left side,"

I have found during some repairs I have bent the backing plate for the brakes. This slight bend will allow the rotor/drum to contact the backing plate. If the bend or rust build up is very slight the weight of the turn could cause it to make contact. I am assuming the wheel bearing is loose.

Generic way to test the caliper vs hose problem lift the front end and remove the wheel. Apply the brakes a couple times. Try to spin the left front wheel. How freely does it spin compared to the right front? If there is a large difference release the caliper bleeder. If fluid sprays out the hose is holding pressure. If there is not fluid flow try to compress the caliper. If the caliper compresses hard it is either the caliper pins or piston that is bound up.
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Hey johns, buddy, there's a quote button you can use instead of using actual quotes, it makes it easier for us to tell who is saying what.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

There is a knob on the dashboard that's fixes noise. Its called the volume.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Hey johns, buddy, there's a quote button you can use instead of using actual quotes, it makes it easier for us to tell who is saying what.
Tried it earlier and received an error message. Guess it was user error.
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Tried it earlier and received an error message. Guess it was user error.
Lol who knows? The mobile app isn't the greatest either.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
KoltenZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
"I know I need a new wheel bearing hub and CV Boot on the front left side,"

I have found during some repairs I have bent the backing plate for the brakes. This slight bend will allow the rotor/drum to contact the backing plate. If the bend or rust build up is very slight the weight of the turn could cause it to make contact. I am assuming the wheel bearing is loose.

Generic way to test the caliper vs hose problem lift the front end and remove the wheel. Apply the brakes a couple times. Try to spin the left front wheel. How freely does it spin compared to the right front? If there is a large difference release the caliper bleeder. If fluid sprays out the hose is holding pressure. If there is not fluid flow try to compress the caliper. If the caliper compresses hard it is either the caliper pins or piston that is bound up.
Awesome I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Thanks bud!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.