Bumpy road vs Jeep. Bumpy road wins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bumpy road vs Jeep. Bumpy road wins

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
kwb18
2000 WJ 

Bumpy road vs Jeep. Bumpy road wins

I went camping with some buddies a while back. Took the jeep on a pretty bumpy road and ever since then, I've been blessed with getting to know the good old DW! Before that camping trip, the jeep handled well. Now...not so well....I have already had the tires balanced and rotated. Everything under the jeep looks good. It's all stock so I know a new adj. trackbar would help and possibly some TRE's. Has anyone ever taken their jeep out and then had it act up like DW later? If so, what did you find that fixed it? Thanks!

kwb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Same story - check all of your linkages. Get under there and have a friend turn the wheel back and forth. Just because you're stock doesn't mean that your trackbar hasn't gone poop. Any joint that backs away from the nut is bad, and must be replaced.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
chipmunkchyc04
1995 ZJ 

also, maybe did you bend the track bar on the trail? tires and alignment wont cause deathwobble.... they'll add to it or cover it, but thats not the issue, its a bad part
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

well since u were on a bumpy road.. im assuming ur control arms did a good amount of moving around.. maybe check the CA bushings?
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

Trackbar bushing & TRE's are first to check on the list.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
EmpireTroy

Which bushings are recommended and where do you get them? Energy bushings? I've got a pretty rough jolted ride sometimes (need shocks) but do believe my bushings are shot also.
EmpireTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Before just changing out all the bushings blindly, you should troubleshoot as we've mentioned in the eleventy billion death wobble threads.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
kwb18
2000 WJ 

I'm beginning to think that my LCA's may be loose. I replaced the bushings on them about 1 month before that camping trip. I never retorqued them. I'm pretty sure that i need to tighten them up. I'll do that over the weekend and check back with you guys on what happened. If not that, i'll take it to a 4x4 store here and get some ideas and then fix it myself. Too expensive with them.
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
kwb18
2000 WJ 

Well...just about everything on my jeep was loose. Steering stabalizer, drag link, LCA's, UCA's, trackbar ect...I was amazed at how loose everything was. It tightened up the steering a little but not enough to completely cure the DW. It's at least some what drivable on the freeway now. I think an adj. trackbar is the next thing on the list to put on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.