Bumper Material - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bumper Material

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Bumper Material

I'm about to build a plated tube bumper for the front of my ZJ. I'm planning to use 1.5" sched 40 black pipe because it's easier to get around here than real tube. I think it should be plenty strong, and I'm going to plate sections of the bumper for strength and looks.

Mounts in the frame rails will be 2 x 3 angle iron.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Bump?

I know black pipe is bad for suspension, not strong enough, but it there any reason not to use it for a bumper? I'm new to metal, I've got some of the skills down but I'm clueless for material.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Bump?

I know black pipe is bad for suspension, not strong enough, but it there any reason not to use it for a bumper? I'm new to metal, I've got some of the skills down but I'm clueless for material.
Its about time you got rid of that gd bumper you have on there

...serious.

Dont use cast. Galvanized pipe doesnt weld too well to plain steel. At least from my experience. Those fumes coming off that galvanized **** i heard is pretty bad for you when ya weld it too.

I think that pipe would work fine. Its not structural so i doesnt have to be anything super heavy.

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Bump?

I used 2x3" rectangle for my frame mounts. (check the build) Heavy angle would work too. I liked the rectangle cause it gives you more to weld to.

^build thread^
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I've been running without the galvy flashing for a while, didn't work right with the kor rad support.

I read your build as reference, I was leaning towards angle over rectangle tube so I would have more access to weld in the nuts. My mig fu isn't high enough to try and weld inside the tube.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I've been running without the galvy flashing for a while, didn't work right with the kor rad support.

I read your build as reference, I was leaning towards angle over rectangle tube so I would have more access to weld in the nuts. My mig fu isn't high enough to try and weld inside the tube.
Honestly welding in those nuts was prolly the worst part of it haha. Then I had one break off. PISSED! You can see in those build pics how I had to chop that drivers side piece up to make it fit. kinda a PITA. Ita all gravy though

^build thread^
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Weld the nuts to a plate, slide the plate inside the box tube and plug weld. STRONG
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I'm not gonna weld to the frame on this one just yet. I want it removable for the next revision.

Current design:
jeepbumper.jpg

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think this one is the tits. Minimal, excellent clearance, room for add ons, and strong. There is a pic of the rear someplace on the web. It's great too.
picture-8.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I like that bumper, it's in my folder of reference images. I just don't want to cut up the crossmember just yet.

Sent from my iPad Nano using JeepForum

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

This is what i'm going for for look, I like the way it integrates with the lines of the jeep, hopefully it will translate to the zj ok. No stinger, and I'll have a skid/radiator guard so I can toss the PITA ****ty factory front skid.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Not bad. If the sheet metal was on top of the tubes covering it I think it would look better though. Or maybe a mix of both. Looks light weight though. That was the most important thing to me after having the ARB bumper. That was a heavy sucker.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Dont use cast. Galvanized pipe doesnt weld too well to plain steel. At least from my experience. Those fumes coming off that galvanized **** i heard is pretty bad for you when ya weld it
Galvanized is good for metal that is exposed to the elements. However when you weld, or burn it, inhaling the fumes can make you sick. Its called galvanized poisoning, and it is no joke. Wear a mask, weld it in a very well ventilated area.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

How thick was the the tube you used riot? I'm gonna end up with tube since the local places don't have 2x3 angle and it's either build it this weekend or wheel without it on the next trip (4th).

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Mine was thick. 5/16 at least. I think you could get 1/4 and be fine

^build thread^

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.