Bumper Build Project For my 95 ZJ: Build Time- 1 Month - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bumper Build Project For my 95 ZJ: Build Time- 1 Month

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

thats a true statement you give polka. if you hit a tree or a deer on the front right corner, its going to want to bend the frame rames a lot easy because its like a cheater pipe on a breakbar setup.. lots of leverage high rate of speed, the bumper is strong than the frame rails and kaboom you bend both rails to the right .. good thinking!

How do you cut your metal? just a cutoff wheel?

sevenscrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
thats a true statement you give polka. if you hit a tree or a deer on the front right corner, its going to want to bend the frame rames a lot easy because its like a cheater pipe on a breakbar setup.. lots of leverage high rate of speed, the bumper is strong than the frame rails and kaboom you bend both rails to the right .. good thinking!

Chop saw or a plasma cutter lol
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post

LOL. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Chop saw or a plasma cutter lol
well the sheets i got cut at my work. We have a full weld shop, and new cutting machines..... lots of scrap! Those are duplicates of my dads bumper for his WJ. He is the shop manager

If you don't know what a ZJ is- you can't afford it! -Beerfest
"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
TMNT2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1/25/12-

Cut out my side pieces to tie into my finder wells. Thought they turned out pretty nice.

This is mine on the top, that i cut out of dads original for his WJ (bottom).

Then i tack welded in the side plates.

I then marked and gathered ideas for my front skid plate. I have decided that i am not going to weld my front skip plant on, but just mount it in many locations so that i can take it off and clean and wash behind it. I have located these three tabs to mount to at the bottom of the frame, and will have to modify my plate for the top.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got my front plate back from the water-jet cutting business down the road... I got '4X4' put in the middle of it. I will put a screen type metal behind it to make it stand out more. I did this, not just for looks, but to let air travel through my bumper. This plate is not going to be welded to my bumper, so i can take it off and clean underneath. I also tack welded and cut out my lower corner pieces, but didn't get any pics of that.. i don't know why but didn't- i can later today.

Tabs i cut out to mount to the bottom of my main support of the bumper. I drilled a hole on each main support and tapped it for the bolt to hold the skip plate in place. i will add more support to the surrounding support of the bumper today with tabs.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Wildspear
1993 ZJ 

TMNT, that is looking very sharp. I like the detail work like the tabs for the skid plate. Not many peeps think that far ahead. I was at the hardware store yesterday and they had "expanded metal" (kinda like a mesh), it was like 8 bucks a roll. That would look sharp behind your cut out. Just have to paint it cause it was bare metal.
Wildspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildspear View Post
TMNT, that is looking very sharp. I like the detail work like the tabs for the skid plate. Not many peeps think that far ahead. I was at the hardware store yesterday and they had "expanded metal" (kinda like a mesh), it was like 8 bucks a roll. That would look sharp behind your cut out. Just have to paint it cause it was bare metal.
Thanks Wildspear.. yea i have a circular cut out metal that we have scrap at work that i am going to put behind the "4X4".. its pretty thick, but almost resembles a bead board type. I should get a hold of a piece this week and tack it behind the "4X4" soon.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ALRIGHT! So about this weekend- I had huge plans of getting a lot done and posting some really detailed pics for you guys/girls, BUT this is all I have...

This is all - although i did more than this: I welded everything together, and never got to start grinding, due to the fact that it wouldn't fit. My un-experiece at welding didn't help. Once i welded the hitch in picture two, it bowed my main supports outward about an inch.

Then, once i fixed that, I got it back to fitting in the mounting holes.. I noticed my passengerside by the finder well was outward and too high. I should have pics of this tomorrow, cause it is still hooked up to my jeep and in the Garage! I was getting frustrated.. so i knew it was best to walk away, instead of pushing futher for more mistakes.

Speaking of mistakes-

It got hot quick while i was plasma cutting for the hitch.. This is exactly how my day was going!

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #24
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So this is pictures of when i went out to the garage last night, that i didn't take on Saturday- The day i was getting frustrated. As you can see there my alignment on the passenger side wasn't looking good.

Well last night, i took it back off.. made my mounting brackets for my skid plate, got my skip plate completely mounted and square. I then got an extra hand by my dad to help me heat up the corner of the passenger side to bend it back. We had to use a strap and a bottle jack to help straighten the bumper. We got it though back into specs that we needed. I didn't take a pic of just the bumper for some reason, but i can do that later this week. Here is one that i got with my dads winch in the front hitch. I won't drive like this on there, and my winch mount will be different. He got this whole unit from Harbor Freight. Not bad looking though.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Look what else i got yesterday for my JEEP!!!!! Spartan Locker for the Rear.

And i bought a used Warn 10,000 lbs winch from a co-worker! its almost there!

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #26
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got my winch cleaned up and ready to make mount for the receiver hitch. I should have pics up by friday.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #27
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2/13/12

I finished framing up and grinding on my bumper. Got the bumper in there and mounted.

Check out the "4X4"- turned out pretty decent!

I will have pictures of the final bumper today. I got it done late last night, and was to dark to get the full idea of the bumper.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Completed!

2/14/12

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #29
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

hoyl **** man that looks AWESOME!!!!! pretty damn good write up to lots of pics, im really hoping ill be throwing one of these up soon to once i get back home to the parents house so i have all the things i need.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.