Bumper Build Project For my 95 ZJ: Build Time- 1 Month - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bumper Build Project For my 95 ZJ: Build Time- 1 Month

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bumper Build Project For my 95 ZJ: Build Time- 1 Month

I have had my ZJ for 8 months now and I have done quite a bit on it so far; made a roofrack with lights and jack mounts, 2" BB (it already had a 3" suspension lift), CB install, 32x11.5x15 BF Goodwrench, Stereo and door Speakers and fixed my Delay on my wipers. But I have a Lerado and no tow hooks on the front or the rear to go wheeling.

My dad has a 2000 WJ and has built a front bumper for his and has the towing package that he puts a tow hook in for the rear; me- NOTHING . So I am going to make a bumper that is a lot like his, that he made, but with a few modifications (we will find out if they are for the best or not).

This is my dads:

So you see what I am aiming for, when it comes to a front bumper. We don't have a lift, but we do have a welder and plasma cutter in our shop- along with any tool Harbor Freight has ever made .

I started this Thread, in hopes to not show you what not to do, but to get an insider of the ZJ. It will be a learning experiance for me, cause I am no welder and by the cuts you will see in the pictures, that i can't cut either. We are signed up to go to a ride with other jeeps on 2/25/12 at Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer, so that is my deadline. So with that being said- Wish me luck!

1/22

Took off the truck cowling for the front bumper and located the frame and where to tie in the main support for the bumpers. I have seen this in my research from other forums.

Started to make a Template for the main tie in for the support from the frame. My support will come out at 4 inches from the original bumper.

I will have more pics up tomorrow or 1/25.

If you don't know what a ZJ is- you can't afford it! -Beerfest
"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
TMNT2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I welded nuts onto the back of my main support that is attaching to the frame. I had to cut out the holes to fit a little better, but once was mounted the Channel iron was pretty level.

I then put a piece of 3x3 angle iron in between the two channel iron supports, to give it sturdiness and will be my main support for the whole bumper.

I then started to play around with the main layout of the front of the bumper...

That is most of the template that my dad used for his, with a few changes. I also hope to add some Fog lamps in the bumper as well as a hitch mount and hooks.

Here is the the first plate..

So far this is where I am..

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
Looks good!
Thanks! i just found this on the web and thought it might be a great add on for my bumper..

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Last night (2/24/12), I put back in my angle iron support to tie in the two mounting pieces that bolt to my frame. I then tack welded the corners and un-bolted and pulled the bumper out.

Even the tack welds made the two pieces of channel iron draw inward. So i got a bottle jack and some timber to straighten the main supports up.

Once I straightened the channel iron back out, i then placed back in and welded the front and back.

I then started to center my main front piece and make sure it doesn't go to high over the area that i am going to tie the top of the bumper into- with just tack welds. (didn't take that picture) So then i just started to tack in the sides and making a bend to form the outside of the turnsignals.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did some editing on 'paint' on the computer today at work.. this is what it will look like, sorta, at the end.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I like the mean and big bulk look it has .

i have a quesiton, im going to be makinga bumper eventually oncei learn how to use my bosses mig welder. I was wondering how you have the corner pieces supported? or arent they suppose to take the impact anyway and are more for just show? and how do you get things congruent on both sides? angle wise.

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Don't ever use MS paint shackles as recovery points!
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
I like the mean and big bulk look it has .

i have a quesiton, im going to be makinga bumper eventually oncei learn how to use my bosses mig welder. I was wondering how you have the corner pieces supported? or arent they suppose to take the impact anyway and are more for just show? and how do you get things congruent on both sides? angle wise.

Thanks- yea i like the 'i should get out of the way' look that it has as well. i don't do much rock crawling but i will have a hitch in the front for my winch to hook in and out of from the front to the rear.

To be honest- i am getting lucky. the drivers side is below my line on the corner, due to the fact that i bent it a little off mark, unlike the passenger side. so i am going to have to make up for that when i put in and weld my top sheet to enclose it. There is a tab on the corners that is attached to the main frame of the chassis. I am going to tie in there by putting some tabs on the inside of the corners to that and bolt it. I should have pictures, once i get to that point. But i will have a lot of grinding before that happens- like i said, i am a beginner welder with little experience.

By the way- keep in mind, these are pieces that my dad had duplicated for when he made his, so I am not have to make any measurements, but am using what i have. My next step- to tie into the finder well, is going to be where i am going to have to make some changes. I should have that done this weekend.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
what is that?

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hahahaha those aren't even good on my drawing.. i went to far forward, that i couldn't press the 'undo' button anymore!

Never Dependable!

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT2210 View Post
what is that?
Microsoft Paint tow points. Was joking about it. I am curious to know how much that beast weighs when you are done.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Id really appreciate those pictures when you get to that point of the build! Thanks. I cant wait to see the final product. I was thinking about when i do get to making a bumper just to do a tube bumper but they seem harder to hide imperfections haha. and i like this look better anyway, it reminds me of the trucks i see by this bridge near the delaware river that has a toll on the bridge, they have a truck with a huge *** push steel bumper fabbed on the front of it i assume for pushing people off the bridge that break down. and they have winch/winchmounts that go in a 2 inch receiver?? interesting

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Microsoft Paint tow points. Was joking about it. I am curious to know how much that beast weighs when you are done.
I have a big scale at my work, and my buddy works in the shipping and receiving part of our shop, so i will have to take it to him when we are done and see what it weighs. so far- just the main angle iron and channel iron is the main weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
Id really appreciate those pictures when you get to that point of the build! Thanks. I cant wait to see the final product. I was thinking about when i do get to making a bumper just to do a tube bumper but they seem harder to hide imperfections haha. and i like this look better anyway, it reminds me of the trucks i see by this bridge near the delaware river that has a toll on the bridge, they have a truck with a huge *** push steel bumper fabbed on the front of it i assume for pushing people off the bridge that break down. and they have winch/winchmounts that go in a 2 inch receiver?? interesting

Not a problem- as you can tell, i like taking pictures. Yea, i had the same idea.. but just to get the bends right and just to even bend the pipe is my problem. i have a pipe bender... (Harbor Freight).. and it can't really bend the pipe i would want. So this is what i came up with. I am thinking about having "4 X 4" up in the lower skidplate to alow some air flow. I hope the bumper ties in well with the jeep when i am done.. if not- Craigslist! and then start over again.

"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would be interested in a bumper that is super beef in the center like your frame rail mounts and has much thinner plate for the corners that bolt to the sides designed to crumple on impact. If you do hit something on the corner it won't torque the whole bumper you just unbolt the corners and put new ones on. It would save weight and look good while the center would hold the winch and recovery points.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.