Bump stop to axle distance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bump stop to axle distance

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Bump stop to axle distance

Anyone want to measure the distance between their front bumpstop and the axle?

I had pretty bad/dry rotted bump stops so I replaced them with some Daystar polyurethane ones that I cut to the stock length. It stopped my axle from slamming into the frame but now I seem to hit the stops on bumps all the time. I changed the shocks but it still happens. Someone said I might have weak springs.

When I changed the front brakes yesterday the bumpstop was sitting about 2" off the axle. Is that normal? Should I have cut the poly bump stops shorter than stock because they are harder rubber?

If I'm sitting too low, any recomendations on springs? Not looking to lift it becuase it's only 2wd but I usually upgrade when I can.

zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

*cough* Replace transfer case, front axle, and throw a lift on it while replacing those sagging springs. Just my 2 cents

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Anyone want to measure the distance between their front bumpstop and the axle?

I had pretty bad/dry rotted bump stops so I replaced them with some Daystar polyurethane ones that I cut to the stock length. It stopped my axle from slamming into the frame but now I seem to hit the stops on bumps all the time. I changed the shocks but it still happens. Someone said I might have weak springs.

When I changed the front brakes yesterday the bumpstop was sitting about 2" off the axle. Is that normal? Should I have cut the poly bump stops shorter than stock because they are harder rubber?

If I'm sitting too low, any recomendations on springs? Not looking to lift it becuase it's only 2wd but I usually upgrade when I can.
Measure the center hub to fender. Stock ZJ height is 18" but I am not sure if that's 2wd also. That will tell you if your coils are sagging.
Here is a rough way to measure. Too short and the shocks can bottom out. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/do...stops-1220482/

If you want a 4x4 it's cheaper/easier to just buy one than convert it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Thanks Polka, I have heard several times that it's just cheaper and easier to buy a 4wd ZJ than convert. Mine's just a daily driver so I'll measure the fender height as you suggest and see where I stand.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Jounce bumpers should compress a couple inches, even being Poly. So you want the total up travel to stop just before your shocks bottom out. 2-3" or so isn't bad.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Maybe I just need to take the spring out and check things out up there. I replaced the timing belt and valve stem seals on my girlfriends Lancer Saturday and when I test drove it it handled some bumps my ZJ currently bottoms out on just fine. I'm seriously looking at the springs.
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

what shocks are you using? all are not equal.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I had some Gabriel regular shocks on there and I changed them to Gabriel Ultras about two weeks ago. Didn't really seem to change things. I can bounce the fender and it stops with no up and down oscillation.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I measured the fender to axle centerline distance and the front is at 17.5" and the rear is at 18". An extra half inch in the front would probably fix my bump stop issue. The coil spring isolators are probably old and compressed too but I don't see them compressing 1/2". RockAuto sells these AC Delco front 2wd heavy duty springs for $71 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...421&cc=1181977 What do yall think? Should I get regular springs instead? Is there a better spring source? I'll replace the isolators at the same time.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
I measured the fender to axle centerline distance and the front is at 17.5" and the rear is at 18". An extra half inch in the front would probably fix my bump stop issue. The coil spring isolators are probably old and compressed too but I don't see them compressing 1/2". RockAuto sells these AC Delco front 2wd heavy duty springs for $71 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...421&cc=1181977 What do yall think? Should I get regular springs instead? Is there a better spring source? I'll replace the isolators at the same time.
That should be fine for you since it's stock and 2wd. I wouldn't sweat it. The isolators are .25" I think. You are in the ball park for stock height anyway. Check and see if the V8 coils will fit. They should be stiffer since the v8 weighs a little more.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.