Bump steer after 2" lift. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bump steer after 2" lift.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

Why not? Its rated for 5,000lb. All in with trailer Ill be about 4,300-4,800.

Badmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
Mosher
1996 ZJ 

4.0 has power to pull but i hope you are going to have trailer brakes of some sort because that's alot of weight for the jeep to stop.... i had a 3inch bb in my 96 and had no problem with the track bar or anything
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

Its a double axle car trailer with brakes.

I'm not sure if I have other problems yet, or if I just got a bad alignment.

As soon as I can I will check all the bushings and replace what ever has gone bad.

I don't see any reason why I should not pull a trailer with this rig. Jeep rated it for 5,000lb, and I drive a Semi for a living. SO I know what I'm doing when it comes to towing things.

Thanks.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

4.0 is a dog in a ZJ already. put that much weight behind it and it wont move out from under its own ***. many many guys on here say you should never tow anything even near the rating.
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Make sure you have a tranny cooler.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Have a tranny cooler, don't make a habit of it.

It will pull fine for what it is, but the brakes aren't great and the trans is weak. I don't understand what people on here are on about with trailers, when you connect a trailer to the back of a ZJ it drives like theres a trailer behind it, you were expecting maybe LBJ?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys.
I pull a 2,000lb trailer all the time with my car and its only got a 2.5l motor in it so I see no reason why the ZJ cant pull this trailer one time.

I don't intend to do all the time. In fact this may be the only time I ever pull something this heavy with it.

I will be adding trans cooler before I tow with it. And yes the auto they put in the ZJ is a POS. I'm looking at an AX15 conversion down the road.

Also plans have changed and it looks like I will be pulling a car dolly with a 3,400lb car on it instead of the 1,500lb or so trailer. So my total load weight went down by close to 1,000lbs.

All in I'm looking at closer to 4K tops now.

Still have not found a hitch, or track bars for it yet that I like. Found some that are not bad, and some that are just crap. And a few that I like but are to expensive. But still looking for something I like that's in my price range. I have about 2 weeks before every thing needs to be ordered so I have it all in time to get it all on the Jeep and ready to go.

Thanks guys!
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
Thanks guys.
I pull a 2,000lb trailer all the time with my car and its only got a 2.5l motor in it so I see no reason why the ZJ cant pull this trailer one time.

I don't intend to do all the time. In fact this may be the only time I ever pull something this heavy with it.

I will be adding trans cooler before I tow with it. And yes the auto they put in the ZJ is a POS. I'm looking at an AX15 conversion down the road.

Also plans have changed and it looks like I will be pulling a car dolly with a 3,400lb car on it instead of the 1,500lb or so trailer. So my total load weight went down by close to 1,000lbs.

All in I'm looking at closer to 4K tops now.

Still have not found a hitch, or track bars for it yet that I like. Found some that are not bad, and some that are just crap. And a few that I like but are to expensive. But still looking for something I like that's in my price range. I have about 2 weeks before every thing needs to be ordered so I have it all in time to get it all on the Jeep and ready to go.

Thanks guys!
unless that car dolly has its own brakes, dont even think of pulling it with your ZJ
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

It dos not have brakes.
I want to rent the double axle full trailer with brakes but U-haul will not rent it to me as they show the ZJ weighs 3,234lb in there system and wil not rent me the trailer unless I show up with a tow rig that shows over 3,500lb in there system. But I looked it up and from every thing I can find the ZJ is around 3,800lb give or take.

Mines a 4x4 4.0 loaded Laredo. Its got everything, short only the tow package.

I'm still going to try to get the full trailer.
I think it would be safer then the dolly.
Wish I had another option to use to tow this car but I don't. I don't know any one with a full sized truck.

I still have not come up with a good fix for the bump steer.
Can we get back to that please?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.