Bump steer after 2" lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bump steer after 2" lift.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

Bump steer after 2" lift.

So I installed some 2" lift blocks a few days ago and then took the ZJ in to get an alignment. After I got it back I noticed it has bump steer every time I hit a pot hole or a bump with just 1 wheel.

How do I fix this?

I searched and found its probably a problem with the geometry of the steering linkage and track bar.
So I looked for a track bar drop bracket but they all say for use with a 4" drop.
Same with the drop pittman arms. They all say for 4"+ drop.

What would be the best way to fix this? With out spending a lot of money.
However I would rather fix it right then save a few bucks for something that "sort of works".

Thanks!

Badmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Your drag link and Track bar have to be pivoting from the same angle. ...if that makes sense

You shouldnt need a drop pitman arm @ 2"

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Did you install an adjustable trackbar? The stock one will have bad geometry at 2"

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

At 2" you should be fine. I would look at your control arm bushings and tighten the track bar. May need a stabilizer. I didn't need to change anything until I got to 4" of lift. They sell brackets for the track bars that are cheaper than adjustables. They say the adjustables are better but Ive had mine for a year and there still fine. Ive also had stock control arms for a year. Im just upgrading now. But 2" that's barely anything. If your even 2" over stock height. Did you measure? Most of the time even with larger lifts you don't get the entire amount of lift. I would be at 5.5'' instead of 4''. Im running 3.5 inch lift springs and a 2" bb. Using 2" blocks on stock used springs you most likely not at 2" of lift. The other thing is did you remove the coil spring insulators? If you left them in you may be higher.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
2" bb will give you 2" of lift. Spacers dont compress like a spring.

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

I suspect you need new lower control arm bushings , that's betting you are running stock . New bushings are a must when lifting IMO , or for any jeep I buy .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

No spacers don't but the used spring does. unless hes just running spacers without a spring? Than would be a rough ride. My new CA's only lasted a year being lifted at 4". A lift puts a lot of strain on the bushings because of the change of angle. So If you have old CA bushings. There most likely feeling the pain. The further you go up the more tension on the bushing as your changing height but not length of CA. But if you plan on going higher don't waste your time on just the bushing or CAs and get adjustables.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

The rest of the suspension is stock.
It has 152k on it. But we checked every thing and all the bushings loot to be in good condition.

I will eventually move to a 4.5 to 5.5" long arm lift kit. This lift was just something to hold me over until I can get the new lift and tires next year.

I did not remove the spring isolators when installing the lift kit.

It tracks good, and rides like stock. But now has bump steer problems.

I also plan to replace the axles with 44s when I do the final lift. And an HD steering setup as well.

Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
The rest of the suspension is stock.
It has 152k on it. But we checked every thing and all the bushings loot to be in good condition.

I will eventually move to a 4.5 to 5.5" long arm lift kit. This lift was just something to hold me over until I can get the new lift and tires next year.

I did not remove the spring isolators when installing the lift kit.

It tracks good, and rides like stock. But now has bump steer problems.

I also plan to replace the axles with 44s when I do the final lift. And an HD steering setup as well.

Thanks for the help guys.
Unless you removed the control arms to inspect the bushings there isn't a way to tell. If they are original and have never been changed then it's sure they are 100% bad. Especially the lowers. Same with motor mounts and trans mounts.

I keep posting this pick because this topic is brought up every other day. These are my lower control arm bushings at 127k. The center was just floating in there not attached. I couldn't tell, other than is handling like crap, until I had them off. Jeep was street driving by a little old Jewish man. Never off road.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

Still can not seem to find a good drop bracket for the track bar that lists a 2" drop.

And as soon as I have some free time and its not hot as hell out side Ill unbolt and check all the control arm bushings.

This truck came from Florida, and was owned most of its life by an older couple. It dos not show any signs that its ever been off road. And I had to lube the transfer case linkage just to get it to work as it had rusted in place in 2wd.

Given all that I don't think that any of the control arm bushings are going to be bad. But you never know. It is 16 years old after all.

I don't really want to spend to much on the stock suspension thou as I plan to replace it. So I hope there is nothing wrong with the bushings.

I know the motor mounts and trans mount are good. I already checked them.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Still can not seem to find a good drop bracket for the track bar that lists a 2" drop.

And as soon as I have some free time and its not hot as hell out side Ill unbolt and check all the control arm bushings.

This truck came from Florida, and was owned most of its life by an older couple. It dos not show any signs that its ever been off road. And I had to lube the transfer case linkage just to get it to work as it had rusted in place in 2wd.

Given all that I don't think that any of the control arm bushings are going to be bad. But you never know. It is 16 years old after all.

I don't really want to spend to much on the stock suspension thou as I plan to replace it. So I hope there is nothing wrong with the bushings.

I know the motor mounts and trans mount are good. I already checked them.
if the control arm bushings have not been changed, you guaranteed they are bad. dont get a track bar drop bracket, do it right and buy an adjustable track bar. you will never need a drop pitman arm on a ZJ
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Iron Rock Offroads double sheer track bar comes with a new bracket and it's much lower than the stock bracket. It gives you a much better angle on the TB. And like I said before. If those bushings are stock originals then they are 100% bad. The uppers may not be so bad but the lowers are shredded.
If they are not then you should enter them in the Guinness Book of World Records for longest lasting control arm bushings in history.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Ok,he said after the alignment it now has bump steer.bet its related to the alignment
dusterdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Badmunky
1998 ZJ 

I did not notice any bump steer before the alignment. But I never drove it with the lift before the alignment. We installed the lift at the shop that did the alignment.

So it could be a bad alignment, but it could be track bar related as well.

Still looking at options to fix it.

I have some time to get it fixed. I don't need it for like 3 weeks. But 3 weeks from now I need to pull a trailer with a 3,500lb car on it 175 miles.
I need to get the Jeep fixed and driving right before then. I also need to get a hitch and get it wired up before then as well. But I don't know what hitch I want yet. I know it needs to be Class III but that's as far as I have gotten. I'm also looking for a plug an play harness for the wiring as well.

Thanks for the help with this guys!
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I did not notice any bump steer before the alignment. But I never drove it with the lift before the alignment. We installed the lift at the shop that did the alignment.

So it could be a bad alignment, but it could be track bar related as well.

Still looking at options to fix it.

I have some time to get it fixed. I don't need it for like 3 weeks. But 3 weeks from now I need to pull a trailer with a 3,500lb car on it 175 miles.
I need to get the Jeep fixed and driving right before then. I also need to get a hitch and get it wired up before then as well. But I don't know what hitch I want yet. I know it needs to be Class III but that's as far as I have gotten. I'm also looking for a plug an play harness for the wiring as well.

Thanks for the help with this guys!
do NOT tow that load with a 4.0L. period.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.