Building Up my ZJ. Bolts ons and a tune. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Building Up my ZJ. Bolts ons and a tune.

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
mobilefitt
1998 ZJ 

Building Up my ZJ. Bolts ons and a tune.

I just sold my 335i and I am used to paying an arm and a leg for bolt ons and I know there are some company's that offer good items at decent prices in that circle. I am new to jeep modification but I am the original owner of my 98 4.0. About 120K and I want it to run for ever. Nothing special, 2x4 so only used as a daily driver. That being said, I like to have a little fun working on my ride and adding mpg, horses, and torques.

So far, Spectre universal cold air intake, Dynomax Cat back, Flowmaster High Flow Cat, Accell Super Coil, and E3 plugs. I have Prothane Sway Bar Bushings and end link bushings, front and back, New Shocks (dad had them put it, not sure what brand). New Motor Mounts and Trans Mount from Autozone.

Looking to add....New Alternator, Headers, Injector Upgrade, HID Lighting, and a Tune.

I think I got the injectors figured out, reman bosch style. Lighting on the way, and I have an alternator picked out from Autozone with life time warranty. I need help with Headers! Ebay cheapies were available ceramic coated for $180 up until last week when I was ready to buy. They jumped to $600 plus ??? Well that's just not going to happen so now I am looking for the next best deal. I found this header/radiator combo and I was wondering if there was any reason not to try this? I would coat the headers with ceramic paint myself. It looks like the same header they sell for $600 when coated. Any fitment issues with this style header? Please Help....

mobilefitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

just a thought... I have a 96 ZJ 4.0, and painting the exhaust headers is pretty pointless, because when you open the hood, they are hardly even visible. As I recall I think you can only see the tip of one exhaust port. I am no exhaust header expert, and maybe there's a benefit by ceramic painting (heat dissipation?), but if you are doing it for looks, I wouldn't put too much effort into it. Maybe its more visible on the 98, but I havent seen one to know.
AaronButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

ok here we go.
get a good filter like amsoil or afe dryflow on that "cold air intake" spectre and knn are some of the worst filters you can buy
accel coils are junk, it'll burn out within 15k
e3 plugs are junk, stick to the copper core plugs as recommended in the under hood emissions sticker.

why a new alternator? you can get a 150a alt from dodge trucks at salvage yards. the v10 trucks had an even higher amp one that will fit with some grinding on the accessory bracket.
header...if your exhaust is currently cracked go for it. if not, wait till it is.
injectors, check out the neon injector upgrade thread. or ford motorsports early 90's 5.0 injectors.
HID lighting.....either do a projector retrofit or you will be hated by everyone you come in contact with for the rest of your life. plug and play kits are VERY frowned upon on every forum on the net.
tuning...nothing much available except the canned tunes from hypertech.

everything you've done and are planning on doing probably adds up to an extra 5hp at WOT on the 4.0, they don't respond to bolt on modifications and teh stock air intake system already flows as much air as the motor can suck in.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Concentrate on getting your stock ride in good shape. If its your daily driver and you don't have mud fever check all the systems out one at a time. 120K is pretty low miles for a ZJ as they can go much much more. Check all your bushings, stick with stock stuff for the most part cause as Rat said you are not gonna get speed out of a 4.0, unless you stroke it. What you can get is dependability. Check the throttle body and IAC for cleanliness. Have the 02 sensors ever been replaced? Check your trans fluid, adjust bands. You've got awhile before the D35 poops out the pinion bearing and seal. Spend some time cruising the forum as there is a wealth of knowledge from the guys here. I'm a Moparholic so most of the stuff I use is OE but sensors are the things you need to stick with Mopar. Spend your money on getting it in good shape rather than empty promises and pointless modification.
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

The best power per dollar upgrade you can do to the 4 slow is to replace it with a V8. Mileage well be very similar and you'll have more power. Not to mention the V8 responds to upgrades better.
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
nekolin
1995 ZJ 

stroker kit and intake man mod are the best bang for your buck dont get the v8 they are great but the 4.0 is the best if your coming from the tuner seen i still havent been beaten on the drag i even went against the v8 a few times just think of your zj as a straight six and go from there
nekolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do the same mods to a V8 and the 4.0 won't stand a chance. They make tuners for the V8 as well. No replacement for displacement.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

You know what really pisses me off?? You look for headers for a ZJ V8 and all you find is a ton of headers for a 4.0 and none for the 8.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
nekolin
1995 ZJ 

no replacement for displacement huh explain that to all the v8 muscle i blew away in my na silvia s12 with a 1.8 4 banger also if you want tons of power supercharge or turbo the beast but when it comes down to it all you are in the zj section and its way mixed in here some like racing others like offroad i recommend heading to the street jeep forum if want some advice about street tuning otherwise this section is for overall zj tuning the best and the best there is a diff lol
nekolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekolin View Post
no replacement for displacement huh explain that to all the v8 muscle i blew away in my na silvia s12 with a 1.8 4 banger also if you want tons of power supercharge or turbo the beast but when it comes down to it all you are in the zj section and its way mixed in here some like racing others like offroad i recommend heading to the street jeep forum if want some advice about street tuning otherwise this section is for overall zj tuning the best and the best there is a diff lol
It's just like I said, do the same mods to a larger motor and it will be more powerful.
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
You know what really pisses me off?? You look for headers for a ZJ V8 and all you find is a ton of headers for a 4.0 and none for the 8.
They used to be around much more than now. Kolak hinted that the last batch had been made but I think there will be more. There is only really one company doing them now and that's Doug Thorley. They bought the Mike Leech design and continued. They are a great header. Had them on my 95. Really opened everything up and made a big difference.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.