Building my own a-arm spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Building my own a-arm spacer

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Building my own a-arm spacer

Just installed a 3.5" lift and I'm doin a total budget build, but doing it right and not cutting any corners. The prices for the a-arm spacers are a little much and plan on building my own. Teraflex - $146, IRO - $99, KOR - $95, Rusty's - $95. I need to take some measurements, but I could buy all the material for $15, actually my brother has plenty of 3/8" or 1/4" steel for this part. Now, I'm not complaining, other than the teraflex price, the rest are reasonable considering; material cost, supply and demand on WJ's, labor, the cost of running a business, and making quality products in the US isn't cheap. I know first hand as a co-owner of an american company designing and manufacturing high performance audio equipment for harleys, Hawg Wired, it isn't cheap.

So, has anybody made their own before? And does anybody have some input or reasons why I shouldn't? I'm going with 3/8" or 1/4" steel and plan on trying to duplicate Rusty's spacer. Aluminum 2" stock is too expensive or I'd just go that route. Here's the pic I'm basing my idea off of. Plus I like little projects like this, keeps me busy without spending too much money. I'll post pics when i get it done, probably in the next weekend or two.

rw303_01.jpg  

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Coming soon: 31" KM2's | 15x8 Cragar V-5's

Nightcrew #236 | Blue Jeep Club #232

"those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"
UrbanOffRoad124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

As long as you're a competent welder it should be a breeze. IIRC the spacer is actually 2.25" high. I'd recommend buying a new upper a-arm joint and using it to help you model the spacer in order to insure the bolt holes line up perfectly...

Oh, and you do know what this means right??? (The "****, I can make that for 1/2 the price" attitude )

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
As long as you're a competent welder it should be a breeze. IIRC the spacer is actually 2.25" high. I'd recommend buying a new upper a-arm joint and using it to help you model the spacer in order to insure the bolt holes line up perfectly...

Oh, and you do know what this means right??? (The "****, I can make that for 1/2 the price" attitude )
if means if he's a good welder and can do this quickly and easily, he can potentially make some good money
Unread 07-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I have to admit that I have seen those aluminum block a arm spacers before and thought what a rip off myself. I can make those in like an hour and it wouldnt cost much at all. I am all for lift companies making a profit and all but that spacer is plain murder.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEinSoCal View Post
if means if he's a good welder and can do this quickly and easily, he can potentially make some good money
I just bought a welder and am going through the same stage. I'm setting up a rear axle and building a skid...I'm easily saving enough money so that the welder has "paid for itself".

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
UrbanOffRoad124
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post

Yeah, the weldng isn't a problem. My Lincoln 3200HD and me are pretty close and we work well together I'm actually gonna pull out the stock plate that mounts to the differential tonight to take some measurements. The wife and kid are dead asleep so it's play time for me I realize this will take a little bit of work to get it right but making it strong enough is no problem, I'll make sure it's over kill. I just need to get all the holes lined up properly on the first pass. Some company's make a 2" spacer, others make a 2.25". I figured I'd make it 2.25". I'll keep you posted on the data I gather and if this pans out, I'll post pics when I'm done. To some people, it may seem like a waste of time to save $100 bucks, but I think of it as a fun little project when your on a tight budget. I don't have new parts to install, they're all on my Jeep, so lets make some

'02 WJ | 4.7HO | Limited | QDII | 3.5" Lift (BB+OME Springs) | JKS TB | JKS Quick Disco's | JKS BPE's | RC Nitro 9000's | Rusty's SS | K&N FIPK | 40 Series Delta | Cat-Delete |

Coming soon: 31" KM2's | 15x8 Cragar V-5's

Nightcrew #236 | Blue Jeep Club #232

"those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand"
UrbanOffRoad124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Just keep in mind, the Ball Joint in the rear comes really close to the floor boards at full compression with the suspension stock. Basically NEED to BS however tall the spacer is.
IIRC, the IRO is 2.5", I am planning on cutting the one I have down to 1.5".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.