Build up zj or xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Build up zj or xj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Build up zj or xj?

Hello my fellow JF supporters, i have a 98 zj with a 4" lift and 33s and i love it! I have always been partial to zjs. The available raw power of the v8s and the classy look. I plan on doing a lot of upgrades to my zj. However i want something i can take on the trail and not be worried about beating up a little bit. I have been thinking about buying a xj cherokee because parts are a lot cheaper and easier to find? I plan on keeping my zj forever but i dont wanna trash it on the trails. Am i stupid for thinking this? should i just put the proper amount of money and upgrades to my zj to make it invincible? Or is it a good idea to have both? give me your input, notice i put this in the zj section so hit me with your best shot! i cant make up my mind. Thanks!

Unread 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
eshew
1993 ZJ 

If you dont want to beat up your ZJ, an XJ is a great rig to beat on. They are cheap, easy to work on and tons of fun, just like a ZJ but shorter .

I would say go for it. A few years ago my roommate bought 2 XJ's for $500 each. Both 89's one had a bad motor, the other had a good motor but was wrecked. Did the engine swap in the garage, and 3 years later he still has a great Wheelin rig, fully locked and skidded, with on board air(ac conversion) arb, winch, rock rails, 33's and a 6" lift... and enough spare parts to do just about any trail repair. I think hs has $4-$5k in it and only 140k. Still has an extra trans and transfercase in the garage.
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjBRYCE View Post
Hello my fellow JF supporters, i have a 98 zj with a 4" lift and 33s and i love it! I have always been partial to zjs. The available raw power of the v8s and the classy look. I plan on doing a lot of upgrades to my zj. However i want something i can take on the trail and not be worried about beating up a little bit. I have been thinking about buying a xj cherokee because parts are a lot cheaper and easier to find? I plan on keeping my zj forever but i dont wanna trash it on the trails. Am i stupid for thinking this? should i just put the proper amount of money and upgrades to my zj to make it invincible? Or is it a good idea to have both? give me your input, notice i put this in the zj section so hit me with your best shot! i cant make up my mind. Thanks!

Own one of each...but you will end up modding both of them haha!

We are lifting the XJ this weekend. We bought it for $500 bucks.
LOOK!!! I escaped the kitchen!!!!

HERS: 98 5.2 ZJ Loredo. 249 to 242 Swap. Skyjacker Hydro shocks, Painted Canyons, Bedliner on the rocker panels. Front tow hooks. 2" Budget Boost. 31" SXT a/t.

HIS: Black 88 4.0 XJ Limited. De-striped, roof rack, 31" BFG's. Lifted with 3" rusty's coils, s-10 bastard pack, Rancho shocks up front, and F-150 shocks in back.
Theirs: 85 XJ 2dr 5 speed, v6, junkyard build trail rig/project
1986 F-150 The Purple Beast! 300 I6, tow package, granny stick, 3" body lift and 35" wild country's
ShantasticZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

How much you willing to spend would be a big factor in this decision. Give a price range of what you would likely spend on it

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Nice! thanks thats kind of what i was thinking. i have found a few that are wrecked but still run or have stupid problems that are easy to fix. My buddy has an xj and a commanche and the xj goes places. But a bump or slam here and there on a rock isnt gonna hurt his feelings. Thats what im goin for!
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Well i can only spend about 300-500 a month on my jeep when i save. Im 19 just working, the xj that i have been looking at already have lifts and what not. They just arent locked and skidded
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Nice! thanks thats kind of what i was thinking. i have found a few that are wrecked but still run or have stupid problems that are easy to fix. My buddy has an xj and a commanche and the xj goes places. But a bump or slam here and there on a rock isnt gonna hurt his feelings. Thats what im goin for!
Well start shopping! We picked up the XJ on craigslist, and it came with a couple extra sets of wheels and tires...so selling those is covering the lift, and the tlc we had to put into it. There are deals to be had, you just have to be looking. Good luck.

HERS: 98 5.2 ZJ Loredo. 249 to 242 Swap. Skyjacker Hydro shocks, Painted Canyons, Bedliner on the rocker panels. Front tow hooks. 2" Budget Boost. 31" SXT a/t.

HIS: Black 88 4.0 XJ Limited. De-striped, roof rack, 31" BFG's. Lifted with 3" rusty's coils, s-10 bastard pack, Rancho shocks up front, and F-150 shocks in back.
1986 F-150 The Purple Beast! 300 I6, tow package, granny stick, 3" body lift and 35" wild country's
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

is there and xj year that is best that i should be looking for?
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Thanks! im gonna keep looking i have to save for i bit too
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
ShantasticZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
is there and xj year that is best that i should be looking for?
Head over to the XJ forums.

Unread 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
zjBRYCE
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Head over to the XJ forums.
haha thanks i guess this wouldnt be the place to ask for that.
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Honestly if you want a trail beater just get a YJ. So much easier to put leaf spring perches on some 1 tons and go to town
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.