Budget for a Newbie first GC Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Budget for a Newbie first GC Build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: Budget for Newbie first GC Build (see details below)
$2000 - $3000 in the first year 4 33.33%
$3000 - $4000 in the first year 1 8.33%
$4000 - $5000 in the first year 1 8.33%
$5000 - $6000 in the first year 3 25.00%
over $6000 in the first year 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
genehubert

Budget for a Newbie first GC Build

GCs can be built from mild to wild as we see on this forum. It all depends on the user's end use and pocketbook.

For a newbie with basic mechanical skills and tools (but no fabrication tooling) to get started, it would be interesting know about what should be budgeted to spend AFTER purchasing a GC to set it up to do the following:

1. Comfortable to drive on the road and even pull a tent trailer once in awhile.

2. Not necessarily a every day driver and especially NOT a commuter.

3. Not a Rock Crawler, but able to do the Rubicon or Moab by using by-passes at the most difficult sections, stacking rocks and getting a pull from time to time. Not designed to travel difficult trails without some type of help and advice from a more experienced friend.

4. Within a budget that YOU can afford and still go off roading without building major debt! (remember to be honest since your name is not on the poll).

MUST BE DEPENDABLE and not TRAILERED even for cross country trips like between the Rubicon and Moab. The end use level is within reason and not taking chances that could result in trailering home. But sure could come home BENT.

If you have the time, when you poll list what you believe to be the basic needs for the build that resulted in your estimated budget with your recommendations so that whatever is done will not be reworked later. Example:

1. Rock Guards or Sliders
2. 32 x 11.50 Tires and Canyon Rims from a TJ
3. 4.5" lift with shocks (Long Arm or Short Arm preferrence based on your real disposable income)
4. 4.56 gears with lockers
5. Axle swap if you feel it is necessary for the 35 or al 44 (this is important, since it is one of the major issues discussed)
6. Adjustable Track Bars
7. Quick Disconnects
8. Bumpers and skids
9. 231 Transfer
10. Recovery Equipment

Of course this is not all the items that a newbie will be budgeting for. On the other hand, maybe it is more than you think shoud be. So PLEASE add your suggestions as you poll.

Also items like: Emergency Equipment (first aid/fire), Recovery Equipment, Jacks and Storages, CBs, GPS, Racks, Cooling Systems, Engine Improvements and so on.....

Thanks for sharing

genehubert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

There's a lot to weigh here. I'd go to www.kevinsoffroad and start shopping. The JKS stuff he sells cannot be beat. His sliders are tough as nails as well.

If you include pricing to get things like the gears and lockers installed, you could be looking at a lot.

Don't bother with Canyons, get aftermarkets with proper backspacing. I prefer steel because they don't shatter when you bump a rock incorrectly.

I'd say for all you are suggesting $5000.

You don't need to have all that stuff, and can get the lift, tires, discos, sliders, and work your way slowly from there. But that's up to you. If you want all that stuff, it costs money. I wish I could get more than I got, but money is something I don't have much of.
Unread 08-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

The hardest thing to do is get started, this place is great for getting ideas on which way you want to go. I think I got mine where I want it, withthe exception of a little bigger tire, but I can deal with that for awhile.

Basically it goes like this:

You lift it with a BB, then you go wheel it. Realize you don't have enough flex and/or ground clearance and your banging up your underside.

Bring it home, get skid plates and sliders, and search for a higher lift. Figure out a way to get it lifted to 4.5" of lift, then you need bigger/better tires to fit under that lift. Then you get some quick discos for more flex...then you rub, then you trim, then you rub, then you trim...Then you have to add the bigger steering stabilizer to account for the bumpsteer, then you wheel it more and decide that your tired of getting stratched all over the front from trees, so you put on a heavy duty steel bumper (maybe with a winch). Oh and I forgot to mention with bigger tires you can't fit the spare in the spare tire well anymore, so you need to find a place to mount it...in comes the rear bumper with tire carrier or the roof rack. I'm sure i forgot about another $2k or $3k of stuff in there but here are the most important things to remember:

1. Have fun along every step of the way, if not, Why are you doing it!
2. No matter how many times you think your happy with your current setup, there are always room for improvements.
3. Everything in moderation!
4. Enjoy the people you meet along the way, they will help you immensely and you never meet a better group of people

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.