Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

budget boost

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Yardman Harry 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and feel certain this has been ask before, but I'll ask anyway. How difficult is it to install the Budget Boost lift kit? It would be going in a 95 grand cherokee limited. Thanks

#2 ·
Budget boosts are extremely easy to install as long as you have the correct tools. One thing that will help you out on a vehicle 12 years old would be to start spraying your bolts with PB Blaster about a week ahead of time. Spray the Shock mounting bolts and the sway bar bolts.
With a floor jack, jack stands, air tools, and spring compressor (some say this isn't necessary, but I'd have one on hand just in case) you should be able to install the BB in a couple of hours.

I just joined JF too! ;)

#3 ·
The BB is way simple. The first thing I ever did on my Jeep was this. Before hand I never worked on cars at all and knew nothing. I actually did the BB no problem.

#4 ·
Plan on an afternoon if you take your time and do it right. A compressor for the springs make s it really easy, could have done it without it but my neighbor had a set so I used them. Disconnect teh sway bars and shocks on the front to let it really droop and just pry down on one side an d pop in the spacer. Rear is even easier.

#5 ·
you really don't even need a spring compressor....just disconnect the sway bar end links and raise the body and let the axels lower. I could be wrong...but someone on here told me how to do it a long time ago and man it was a piece of cake.

#6 ·
I had a really difficult time doing mine... I had to take off an upper CA then couldnt get the damn bolt back in. It was such a PITA!!! But I have since then gone through about 4 lifts (dont ask) And I can take out the front springs and replace them in 30 minutes flat. 15 if I take off the CA's on the axle end.

Just get some spring compressors though, it makes it much easier and are like 15$ at harbor freight.

#7 ·
haha I had the SAME exactly ****in problem with the CA's. I needed to take one off to lower it more ( had spring compressors already ) to actually get it in. Got the spring in and than took off the compressors and had the HARDEST time getting the bolt to go into the control arm. I guess If you can get the jeep as high as possible it will be easier.

#8 ·
I wouldn't get the cheap compressors from Harbor Freight....thats what they are...cheap. Go to your local auto parts store and borrow their compressors...they do loan them out...if you go that route. Try doing a search on here and see if you can find a good write up with pics maybe to show you how to do this.

#9 ·
Yeah, they shouldnt be called spring compressors. They should be call spring retainers? Let the jeep do the compressing, jack up one side of your axle while the other side is still on the ground, max out your flex, put the spring compressor on the compressed spring, tighten it down a bit, and your done.

Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.