Budget Boost - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Budget Boost

So i bought a 1.75" budget boost. now, my question is what is the best possible way to go about installing it? am i goin to have disassemble the entire front end to install em or could i just use spring compressors to take the springs out and put them in?

Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
R.I.P. Ratmonkey...Your now wheelin with the angels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM
fisher1630
1997 ZJ 

This has been covered many times, but since I just got done doing this 2days ago I will help you out. The back is the easiest, disconnect sway bar and shocks and you can easily get the springs out and put them back in with the spacers. The front, disconnect shocks, sway bar and track bar, I needed a spring compressor to get the springs back in with the spacers. All in all pretty simple, soak stuff with nut buster in advance and take your time. Impact gun comes in handy.
post #3 of 63 Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

a lift and impact makes it a hell of a lot easier but if you dont have access to it just soak everything down in pb blaster every day a few days before installing it. then for the front i just disconnected the track bar and lower control arms. for the rear i only disconnected the track bar. idk if you have upcountry or not so ill warn you anyway. the trackbars are a real ***** to get to line back up perfectly so a come a long is also a big help to get the track bars lined back up

'96 ZJ Orvis 5.2L (Mossy Oak Edit.)- UC+2" BB, Thrush Turbo, 2 12s, Lots Of Stickers
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.

post #4 of 63 Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
fisher1630
1997 ZJ 

I did not disconnect the rear trackbar or any control arms. Also for the front track bar just have someone give you a hand and turn the steering wheel to get it lined up.
post #5 of 63 Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Put the front on jack stands, remove the tires, disconnect the sway bar, disconnect the shocks, and unbolt the brake lines. Jack the opposite end of the axle you are working on as far as it will go and make sure you unbolt the spring retaining clips. At this point you should be able to take out the bump stops or may not have to take them off. Every jeep is different. You may be able to slip the spring of with out compressing it and slide the bb onto the post. Reinstall. Do the same for the other side and if you use compressors be safe and don't take your head off.
post #6 of 63 Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Garage
thanks for the advice and tips...and i realize that this topic has been covered many a times on this forum...really i juss lookin for some pointers in making this job a lil easier

Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
post #7 of 63 Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Garage
ok so i started tearing down the front end but i ran out of daylight by the time i got to the track bar so im letting that soak in PB blaster. now quick question: the bolt circled in red...that is the trac bar bolt correct? and sorry in advance if the pic comes out big but i dont think is should.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_07112.jpg  

Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
post #8 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

yes

Jacob

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED
post #9 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

I just did a bb and recommend changing your track bar if its original, or at least replace the bushings. If its more than two inches, you'll probably need an adjustable track bar. Might as well do all that while you have it apart. Make sure you torque it down to 40 pounds. All this prevents death wobble.
post #10 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 11:05 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojop79 View Post
I just did a bb and recommend changing your track bar if its original, or at least replace the bushings. If its more than two inches, you'll probably need an adjustable track bar. Might as well do all that while you have it apart. Make sure you torque it down to 40 pounds. All this prevents death wobble.
I just talked to Nick Kolak about how far off the axle would be with a 2" bb and he said "Hi,

No - they are not necessary at 2" of lift. The axles won't even be off-center by 1/4".

Nick"

I wouldn't worry about it.
post #11 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojop79 View Post
I just did a bb and recommend changing your track bar if its original, or at least replace the bushings.
i do indeed have new bushings for the track bar as well as a new drag end link. but i ran into a problem with the drag end link. seems like the new one i have is a thinner on the end where it threads in at. so i gotta run back up to 4 wheel parts and see if they can switch it out and give me a proper one...ya know, maybe one that will actually fit

and i almost wanna go get an impact wrench to bust the one nut loose on the passenger side of the trac bar. even after letting it soak for 2 or 3 days in PB blaster i still cant that mofo to bust loose.

lunch time

Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
post #12 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
VolcomPunk
1996 ZJ 

Garage
juss for reference....the drag end link on the RIGHT is my NEW one and the one on the LEFT is my OLD one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0714.JPG  

Green Jeep #337
WakeUpNow
post #13 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

I just talked to Nick Kolak about how far off the axle would be with a 2" bb and he said "Hi,

No - they are not necessary at 2" oft lift. The axles won't even be off-center by 1/4".

Nick"

I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, like I said anything over 2" might need one. I did a 2" and I don't think my axle moved any.
post #14 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomPunk

i do indeed have new bushings for the track bar as well as a new drag end link. but i ran into a problem with the drag end link. seems like the new one i have is a thinner on the end where it threads in at. so i gotta run back up to 4 wheel parts and see if they can switch it out and give me a proper one...ya know, maybe one that will actually fit

and i almost wanna go get an impact wrench to bust the one nut loose on the passenger side of the trac bar. even after letting it soak for 2 or 3 days in PB blaster i still cant that mofo to bust loose.

lunch time
That track bar bolt is hard. Are you removing the track bar while on jack stands? Try doing it with wheels on the ground. Same when re-installing the track bar. We made the mistake of trying to do it while in the air and it was a pain!
post #15 of 63 Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just put a breaker bar on it it will come off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.