buddy wants a ZJ, cant decide what engine - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > buddy wants a ZJ, cant decide what engine

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: What engine?
4.0L 18 22.22%
5.2L 63 77.78%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #76
XJ90
1998 ZJ 

I had to sell mine back when gas prices blew up

XJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #77
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda95 View Post
I am new to the forum, but not new to Jeeps or 4x4s....and I felt I had to chime in. I have the 4.0, and I can already say I am glad it is the six, not the eight. I have been reading some history, and AMC designed these things to take the 4.0 six, Chrysler stuffed the V-8 into them to keep up with the Explorers and 'Burbans. There was a story on the web a while back about some guys who took a pair of ZJ's all the way to Central America, and they had 4.0s. Everyone I know says the 4.0 is the engine to have, and there are a ton of them out there for parts.

My vote is 4.0, and I shopped for one that way. I wouldn't get a ZJ with a V-8, it seems like overkill. Mine is quick and powerful, and comes off the line with plenty of power. Does 70 on the highway without breaking a sweat, and has oomph for passing.

On a side note, I am doing the valve cover gasket soon...and I only have to do one!
OT...
The ZJ is an all Chrysler design... AMC designed the Cherokee

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #78
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
OT...
chrysler bought AMC because they wanted the ZJ design...
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #79
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
OT...
NOPE. The ZJ was a completed design before Chrysler bought AMC. The ZJ project dates back to 1983. AMC had running prototypes of the ZJ in '87. Chrysler shelved it for 5 years so they could concentrate on their minivans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Gr...ee#Development
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #80
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I like the fact that it is the last AMC designed vehicle...nostalgic. The more I read about AMC the more I like the company...the little car company that tried really hard to compete with the Big Boys. Most of what I have read points out that if they had been able to hang on for another year or two, the ZJ would have been a smash hit and they might have survived!

Does anyone know the difference between the 4.0 and the 4.0 "HO" I have seen in some YJs? Probably covered somewhere else, but I just thought I would ask.
Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #81
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between the 4.0 and the 4.0 "HO" I have seen in some YJs? Probably covered somewhere else, but I just thought I would ask.
the HO had multi port injection and IIRC the "open" cooling system. the eariler 4.0 was the "renix" system (this is discussed in depth in the cherokee forums). it was TBI if im not mistaken
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #82
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
That has to be the most DS comparison someone could make. Military Humvees need 4WD a heck of a lot more than all but hardcore Grands do. FT on a dedicated play rig, fine i can go with that. On anything that see's the road? Heck no.

And why anyone would want 4WD that automatically kicks in is besides me. That's worse than FT for Lord's sake. Getting into stuff you might need 4WD for....... throw the lever. It's not rocket sceince, the lever is 4" from my knee. Then guess what.... It's like having FT. Wow. I'm not waiting till I start spinning and don't want my rig to do it for me either Thank you very much..
You realize that with the 242, the driveshaft is still spinning, right? So even when you're in '2wd', you're not really doing anything except maybe reducing wear on parts.

The 249 is a superior transfercase. The only flaw is VC failure, which is an easy fix.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #83
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post
You realize that with the 242, the driveshaft is still spinning, right? So even when you're in '2wd', you're not really doing anything except maybe reducing wear on parts.

The 249 is a superior transfercase. The only flaw is VC failure, which is an easy fix.
sure the driveshaft is still spinning. thats because its connected to the axle. its not receiving ANY power when the 242 is in 2wd.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #84
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

Which xfer case is the one with the partial CV axle? I have read that the V8 models have a partial CV joint from the xfer case to the front dif?

It seems there are pros and cons to a V8 setup. Sure, power, power...but it seems the six is easier to maintain, and the 242 xfer case is, too. All I know is that if I really need full-time, I pop it into Low and blame the open difs if I get stuck.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #85
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Yes the v8 has cv axles as well instead of u joint ones but those are an easy swap as is a u joint front shaft and a 242 case. Most of us mod our jeeps anyway these cheap strength swaps are nothing for the basic backyard mechanic. The v8s do have stronger transmissions tho in general. Plus the stronger rear axle in certain years. Both much more expensive things to fix than any of the v8s weaknesses.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It seems there are pros and cons to a V8 setup. Sure, power, power...but it seems the six is easier to maintain, and the 242 xfer case is, too.

Exactly what maintenance is easier on the 4.0 that is harder on the V8?

And what maintenance are you doing on the 242 that is harder to do on the 249? The drain and fill ever 24,000 must be tougher on the 249 I guess.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #87
dean477
1998 ZJ 

Stock, DD, occasional lightweight tow. 20-24 mpg. get the 4.0

If your friend plans to lift it, put 33/35+ tires, bumpers, winches, skids, plans to wheel it, tow heavy **** with it, pack it up with 5 people/equipment and a roof rack then by all means get the v8. the 4.0 would be absolutely terrible for this. If your friend wants a lot of power get the v8.

It really depends on his wants, needs, and plans for the vehicle.
dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #88
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I agree with dean, and mine is also my DD. WhiteOut, is the 249 the one with the partial CV axle? I dunno, maybe I was thinking it was harder to do than a U-joint.

As far as ease of maintenance, I was thinking of the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, more room in engine bay for working on other stuff. And, of course, it takes less of everything, like 2 less plugs, fluids, etc. I imagine exhaust manifold gaskets on that V8 can be a pain, too.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #89
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda95
I agree with dean, and mine is also my DD. WhiteOut, is the 249 the one with the partial CV axle? I dunno, maybe I was thinking it was harder to do than a U-joint.

As far as ease of maintenance, I was thinking of the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, more room in engine bay for working on other stuff. And, of course, it takes less of everything, like 2 less plugs, fluids, etc. I imagine exhaust manifold gaskets on that V8 can be a pain, too.
Doesn't 4.0s take more oil than the 5.2? 5.2L exhaust manifolds don't have gaskets from the factory. When I put the new 5.2L motor in, it came with gaskets so I threw them on....I have an exhaust leak now...
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #90
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

The exhaust gaskets are harder to reach on the 5.2 than the 4.0 with the engine installed, Scopez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.