buddy wants a ZJ, cant decide what engine - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > buddy wants a ZJ, cant decide what engine

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

View Poll Results: What engine?
4.0L 18 22.22%
5.2L 63 77.78%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
I have absolutely no time for FT 4WD. Only reason for it is so city husbands don't have to have their city wives figure out how to throw a lever when the pavement gets a little slick.

Any guess' to how I voted?
That must be why military Humvees are full time 4wd. Because they are all city wives.

Wanting to shift more levers doesn't make you a man but more of a bone head to want to work harder

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #32
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I wouldn't touch a jeep without FT 4WD, even on dry pavement they handle better. Rain? Bad road? No contest.
The 96+ are essentially RWD until the tires slip so you get the best of both worlds.
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #33
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That must be why military Humvees are full time 4wd. Because they are all city wives.

Wanting to shift more levers doesn't make you a man but more of a bone head to want to work harder
That has to be the most DS comparison someone could make. Military Humvees need 4WD a heck of a lot more than all but hardcore Grands do. FT on a dedicated play rig, fine i can go with that. On anything that see's the road? Heck no.

And why anyone would want 4WD that automatically kicks in is besides me. That's worse than FT for Lord's sake. Getting into stuff you might need 4WD for....... throw the lever. It's not rocket sceince, the lever is 4" from my knee. Then guess what.... It's like having FT. Wow. I'm not waiting till I start spinning and don't want my rig to do it for me either Thank you very much..
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
That has to be the most DS comparison someone could make. Military Humvees need 4WD a heck of a lot more than all but hardcore Grands do. FT on a dedicated play rig, fine i can go with that. On anything that see's the road? Heck no.

And why anyone would want 4WD that automatically kicks in is besides me. That's worse than FT for Lord's sake. Getting into stuff you might need 4WD for....... throw the lever. It's not rocket sceince, the lever is 4" from my knee. Then guess what.... It's like having FT. Wow. I'm not waiting till I start spinning and don't want my rig to do it for me either Thank you very much..
What do you have? A 242? maybe they can put more selections on there like FWD so you can drift hahaha

Suit yourself. It's just one persons opinion anyways. No one cares.
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #35
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

L_ you got owned. First rule of holes, when you find yourself in one, stop digging! :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #36
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Besides, there are plenty of vehicles with full time drive trains. Subaru WRX to name one of the most awesome. That thing is a beast and has excellent traction on and off road.
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #37
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny

I don't think you understand what full time 4WD, it's 100% identical to part time 4x4 except the transfer case is limited slip! All 4 wheels spinning all the time! I can tell you the Torsen torque sensing mechanical differential with selectable locker in my Toyota is better than part time 4x4 in every single scenario and I don't have to push buttons or pull levers.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I thought the original Q was engine choice, not x-fer cases lol.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd
I thought the original Q was engine choice, not x-fer cases lol.

/thread
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I wouldn't touch a jeep without FT 4WD, even on dry pavement they handle better. Rain? Bad road? No contest.
You're talking about a JEEP here. It's a purpose built offroad vehicle (well, at least the Wrangler is/was), it's MADE to leave the road, of course it's going to handle like a top heavy brick. It's not a sports car. Last I checked nobody is racing a Jeep in a big time race (there are autocrossers here and there, but it's not hardly made to do that).

I prefer part time 4x4. Less s**t to go wrong inside of the transfercase. Throw a lever and both front and rear wheels are driven at exactly the same speeds at all times while in 4x4.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
driftwood00
1995 ZJ 

I used to have a 94 5.2 and now Im driving a 95 with a 4.0 and I must say, the reliability factor for both are great, but I think that I enjoyed drive the 94 quite a bit more.
driftwood00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Some ppl like the 4.0 but if your buddie is like me, or any other guy I know, he will always want more power. V8 is a start to that..
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

You guys do realize that the economy numbers on the overhead console are off by quite a bit? Mine is off by over 10%. The trip computer might read 22 average, but the actual average will be around 19.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David97 View Post
My 98 5.2 gets easily 300+ a tank. Average around 17-18mpg on the interstate at 70mph
Your math doesn't work... The tank is 25 gallons, so having a range of 300 miles means you're only getting 12mpg. If you're filling it before it's empty and only putting in 20 gallons, that's still only 15mpg. If you were actually getting 17mpg, your tank range would be 425 miles.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #44
a70eliminator

I will never look at another 4.0 ZJ.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOspeed View Post
You guys do realize that the economy numbers on the overhead console are off by quite a bit? Mine is off by over 10%. The trip computer might read 22 average, but the actual average will be around 19.5.

Your math doesn't work... The tank is 25 gallons, so having a range of 300 miles means you're only getting 12mpg. If you're filling it before it's empty and only putting in 20 gallons, that's still only 15mpg. If you were actually getting 17mpg, your tank range would be 425 miles.
May be right. But I easily get 300+ out of a tank. Which is fine by me. Lol

I can careless about my mpgs. I need it so I pay for it. Lol

Plus I have a lead foot most of the time lol.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.