Bucking zj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bucking zj

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Dantheglassman

Bucking zj

93 ZJ full time transfer case. The front diff has been replaced. (before) I bought it.
I installed the front drive line today, and I think the front Diff may have a different gear ratio then the rear. The Jeep pulls left, and right tires squall when I turn. Seems like the rear tires are turning faster then the fronts.

Seem right the right diagnosis?

Dantheglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Definitely check your gear ratios . If no tag , you have to pull the cover , and look for the stamping with the tooth count on the crown gear . Ex : 3:73 would be 41 crown , 11 pinion . 41 divided by 11 equals 3.727 or 3.73 .

Another possible cause is the viscous coupler in the t-case itself . Common failure .

If you pull the front drive shaft again , make sure you use your e-brake to park or it can roll away
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you were running without a front shaft your VC is gone. Going to need to either replace it or swap to a different t-case.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Dantheglassman

Both front and rear have tags. What am I looking for?
Dantheglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

3:73 on both . Only other option would be 3:55 . It will be on one corner of the tag . You may need to clean it up with sandpaper or something to see the numbers .
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Kg6mov is right though , if you were running w/o a frt drive shaft , that VC is done also . Only 96+ can get away with that .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.