Broken window regulator rollers? I got a cheap fix for you. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken window regulator rollers? I got a cheap fix for you.

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
RMFK13
1993 ZJ 

Broken window regulator rollers? I got a cheap fix for you.

ok, so the other day, i was gittin ready to go to class.. Put my window down, it was goin down crooked, so i tried to put it back in place and it fell into the door... when i got home, i tore it all apart and found out all the little plastic rollers broke. After calling many many places iv found you cant buy just the rollers, gotta buy the whole regulator for godly amount of money.
Now all 4 of my windows are like this, just the others stay up.. So i got to thinking and came up with this solution, and it worked... very very well. ill be doing my other 3 very soon.
So i went to home depot and bought these, they are 3/4" shower door rollers. flat kinda, although i think round may have worked better, i had to round the edges a bit.
so heres what the package looks like, it comes with two, each front door needs 3 rollers.

you then grind them down a bit... just test fit them inside the tracks till they are a good fit, not too tight but not too loose... you should be able to push them with your finger semi easily.
heres how i made mine fit.
held the metal part with pliers, the plastic spins free around it. and then i just held it evenly against the sanding drum. every few seconds i would test fit it into the track, it took a bit of grinding. you will have to bend up the pieces of metal of the ends of the tracks that keep the rollers from falling out.

ok, i didnt get pictures of this part but...
The regulator arms have nubs... youll need to hack them off... my suggestion, do one at a time, drill out the rest of the post that was in there.. you can also just hit it out with an owl and hammer. install the roller, using some red locktite,(dont want to have to tear the door again too fix a loose screw) making sure the roller is on the side the nub was on, with the nut part against the arm. like so.
here's what it looks like when they are on.

now after you got all three on facing the proper way, you can ut all the tracks back on it, making sure everything is in the right place, and put it all back not your door.. i didnt get pictures of this either, i was in a rush.
and heres a short video of it working..

easiest way to get the window put back inside the track that attaches to the bottom... is roll the window up and down a few times till it gets seated.
any questions, feel free to ask, i will gladly answer.

-Rob

RMFK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
RMFK13
1993 ZJ 

anyone have a picture of the regulator from a rear door? i wanna try fixin those next. but i dunno if its the same or different..
Unread 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
nick62087
1999 WJ 

kudos on finding an inexpensive, yet effective solution.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
RMFK13
1993 ZJ 

thanks.
When i do another window ill get more pictures of the steps.
Unread 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
RMFK13
1993 ZJ 

Tore apart my rear doors today, the rollers on those are fine, but the motors are blown... so i guess i cant fix those.
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
RMFK13
1993 ZJ 

ok so its been a month, and everything is holding up really well still.
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
johnnygoose
1998 ZJ 

Great fix thanks for the idea, I used your instructions but was lucky and was able to drill out the old rivet without removing the regulator. Fixed mine a few months ago and it's still working good, nice to be able to use the drive thru again. Had a hard time finding the roller, now someone is selling them on ebay.
johnnygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

with the motors, you may be able to take apart the motors and clean them well, unless the brushes are worn, but most likely they are just dirty

props on finding a cheap fix for the regulator... sticky maybe?????
Unread 05-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
rednecktrucker

thats better than the setup on my 98 durango. it uses cables to raise and lower the window. whoever designed that needs to have their nuts cut off for designing that chit
rednecktrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
k9fella

Thanks

Thanks to all the helpful posts on this thread. I repaired a window that has only rolled down half way for about two years now. The info I found here was spot on to get the regulator out, fixed and back in. Hardware store had exactly what I needed, and I got a tube of window weld at O'Reillys.

Couldn't have done it without the help here.

Again. Thanks.
k9fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Randy87is

Great idea and nice post

Thanks for the post on this great idea. I was able to replace all three rollers on the driver's door of my '93 Grand Cherokee. I second the earlier post about not needing to cut off the nubs on which the rollers sit and then drill them out. I just put the regulator on top of my vice with the nubs in the slightly open jaws and knocked them out with a punch and a hammer from the back side.
Unread 05-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
NJ2MDJim
1993 ZJ 

Awesome fix! Thanks so much for figuring this out. Thanks to you, my passenger front window now works!
NJ2MDJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.