broken rear latch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > broken rear latch

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
kristine_66

broken rear latch

The rear latch on my 95 Cherokee was acting up, then finally a couple days ago when i went to open it ---- nothing. There is no resistance at all when you pull up on the handle, so whatever holds it together has come completely apart. So,,,,,,,, how do i get to the latch to fix it? I assume you can take the cover off the door to access it?? If so, can anyone tell me step by step or have any diagram as to how this is done? Remember, the door can not open, so all work must be done with the door closed. Please help!!!!

kristine_66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I just recently had this problem with my 96. I was able to push and pull the rear hatch while pulling the handle several times. The hatch finally opened and I was able to put some lubricant into the latch mechanism on the hatch. I haven't had any problems since I did that about two weeks ago.

If you have to go from the inside try pushing while someone is on the outside and at a last resort try taking off the interior trim to get to the latch mechanism.

Good Luck!
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
kristine_66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RedBird
I just recently had this problem with my 96. I was able to push and pull the rear hatch while pulling the handle several times. The hatch finally opened and I was able to put some lubricant into the latch mechanism on the hatch. I haven't had any problems since I did that about two weeks ago.

If you have to go from the inside try pushing while someone is on the outside and at a last resort try taking off the interior trim to get to the latch mechanism.

Good Luck!
Yeah, I was going to shoot some WD 40 in it when it started acting up, but as usual, always forgot about it until I would try to get into the back. I was alone when I needed to open the back to load some stuff and that's when I tried one too many times and now I just have a floppy handle when I try to open it so I know I need to get to it from the inside - the question is how??? I found a couple screws to take out, but nothing that really helps. I'm so afraid of just pulling on the cover to 'unpop' the clips cuz it feels like it's going to break - especially since it's so cold here - I worry of the plastic being brittle.
kristine_66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristine_66
I'm so afraid of just pulling on the cover to 'unpop' the clips cuz it feels like it's going to break - especially since it's so cold here - I worry of the plastic being brittle.
Brittle plastic due to cold is a very real concern. If you can't get indoors to work, then I recommend waiting until a warm day. You are going to have to work from the inside, and try to release the latch.
The latch works just like the latches on your doors. so study one of them before you start to get an idea of how the parts move. The post is mounted to the body, and the moving latch part is in the liftback. I haven't tried this myself, but it seems that if you get a thin hooked tool you may be able to release the latch by sliding it under the door, then turning it so the hook is up inside the latch, then pulling it toward you (inside the Jeep). Failing that, you will have to pull the hatch panel away from the base of the hatch enough to reach in and release the latch. Failing that you will have to call a locksmith.
Unread 01-07-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

I've been through the same exact problem that your going through right now and im gonna try to explain to u as best i can.
The way the latch works is that the handle, that u pull on to open the trunk, is connected to a rod and this rod is connected to the latch at the base of the trunk door. So when u pull up on the handle, the handle pulls up the rod and the rod releases the latch. The handle and the rod are connected together by a pin and what happen in my situation is that the pin snapped. Now that there is no connection bet. the handle and the rod the latch cant be released. So you'll have to access the handle through the inside of the Jeep.
The way i did this is that i removed as many screws as possible on the interior panel, throught the inside of the jeep. Then i gently pulled on the top part of the panel, just so i can see inside, and with a flashlight i located the rod that is connected to the latch. Then with a wire hanger i hooked onto the rod and pulled up on it, and the trunk door released. Then, I finished taking the panel off.
Now you can buy a new pin but Jeep wont allow u to buy just the pin, you'll have to purchase the whole handle assembly, which i believe they wanted $90? I wasn't gonna spend all that for a pin, so what i did is that i reconnected the handle and rod together with a heavy duty thick wire, and it worked.
To ensure that the wire wont break and this wont happen again, I always keep the latch lubed by applying grease to the latch every once in a while, in order to reduce the tension on the connection bet. the handle and the rod.
I know your worried about breaking the plastic, but the only way to get to the handle is from the inside, so be very cautious and try your best not to break it, easier said than done. Hope I helped and good luck.
Unread 08-22-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
danchendrickson

I have the exact same problem on my 2000 Cherokee. The aditional problem is I have a chest of drawers taking up the whole back, so I have no room to get back there to fix it. I will try and crawl back overtop of chest, but if I am unable to remove the plastic interior peices does anyone have any ideas on a next course of action? Thank you

l
danchendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
97RedBird
2009 MK Compass 

I repeatidly pulled the handle, in an out and up direction, and it finally came open. After that I took it (the latch mechanism) apart and oiled it real good. Still not having any problems with it.
97RedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.