Broken Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broken Hitch

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Broken Hitch

Hey everyone. I have a pretty big problem. I have a 95 Grand Cherokee and in the past years from towing our camper, the frame where the hitch was mounted had split like a banana. It peeled the frame from back to front. We did a quick weld job a few years ago to get by. I am trying to repair it now and after taking the bumper and brackets and hitch off there are big holes where the bumper brackets are supposed to be mounted. I need new bumper brackets, and to figure out a way to fix the holes and mount a new hitch back on the frame where it used to be. I have a welder and planned on welding some plates in the holes but from some diagrams I saw the jeep has bolts that mount the bumper brackets and the hitch in the same bolt. I don't know how they are mounted and need some helpful solutions. I have some pictures that I can post on soon. Thanks for the help.

http://www.swmjeepers.com/forums/mem...3-MustangJAB02
MustangJAB02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

have you considered an after market bumper with a hitch?
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo21 View Post
have you considered an after market bumper with a hitch?
No, I am trying to do this very inexpensive. I am actually reusing the hitch that came off of it in the first place because it is still solid. I just need to fix the frame where the bumper and the hitch mount to because they share the same bolts.

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you need to plate the frame and make your own mounting system for the hitch.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you need to plate the frame and make your own mounting system for the hitch.
doing it the same way the manufacturer did it is a lot easier then trying to figure something out on my own. The way it is mounted is pretty ingenious.

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

unless yours is much different than my 1997 it's not that clever really. get some channel in 3/16 that fits over the rails snugly, measure the hitch mount locations on it. weld nuts to the "inside" of the c-channel and cut clearance holes in the frame where the bolts go into the stock nut plates. you now have a much more solid mounting surface to work with. i would use flange nuts in a 1/2 13 thread pitch for the mounts.

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
unless yours is much different than my 1997 it's not that clever really. get some channel in 3/16 that fits over the rails snugly, measure the hitch mount locations on it. weld nuts to the "inside" of the c-channel and cut clearance holes in the frame where the bolts go into the stock nut plates. you now have a much more solid mounting surface to work with. i would use flange nuts in a 1/2 13 thread pitch for the mounts.
How would I put the bumper back on then? The bumper brackets and the hitch share the same hardware but there is a nut welded to the bumper bracket and a bolt is threaded into that, the bolt has no head but had nuts on each end with the frame of the jeep between them.

Unread 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangJAB02 View Post
doing it the same way the manufacturer did it is a lot easier then trying to figure something out on my own. The way it is mounted is pretty ingenious.
Doing it the way the manufacturer did..................failed. Plate it and be done.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
Doing it the way the manufacturer did..................failed. Plate it and be done.
Actually the manufacturer didn't fail. It was user failure. My dad hooked our camper up wrong and the weight if the camper at the incorrect angle ripped it off. I figured out a way to do it. I guess nobody has ever fixed a similar problem.

Unread 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

lots of people(not here) have plated the rear frame there for addition of a much stronger rear bumper and hitch combination.

it really isn't that hard to figure out some bracketry.

Unread 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help! I actually did it very similar to this but ordered new bumper brackets and bolts that threaded into the bumper brackets and the other end of the bolts where also threaded so I drilled holes through the new frame that I welded on using c-channel and bolted the hitch up to those. I would have taken pictures but I was kind of in a rush and didn't have a vehicle while working on it. The hitch works great and tows like a champ. Hope the welds hold up! Thanks again!

Unread 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
bigray122
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangJAB02 View Post
Actually the manufacturer didn't fail. It was user failure. My dad hooked our camper up wrong and the weight if the camper at the incorrect angle ripped it off. I figured out a way to do it. I guess nobody has ever fixed a similar problem.
How did you get the bolts out. I just bought some PB blast (as mine are rusty) I was just figuring on loosening them with a pair of vice grips. Please tell me how you did it.
bigray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

The bolts are attached to the rear bumper brackets. I have to replace the frame on both sides where these brackets go so I went to the dealer and ordered new bumper brackets because I couldn't find them anywhere else. I didn't loosen the bolts because the old ones that where rusty and apart of the bumper brackets came out with the part of the frame I took out.

I would think that PB and an impact would get them though if that is what you are trying to do. Otherwise you can get a removal socket that grips the nut with a reverse thread. I usually always break the bolt off with this method though because things are so rusty.

Unread 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigray122 View Post
How did you get the bolts out. I just bought some PB blast (as mine are rusty) I was just figuring on loosening them with a pair of vice grips. Please tell me how you did it.
Drilled ours out even after an extractor got stuck in there LOL. Bumper brackets can be bought at moparpartsoverstock.com
The bolts, if you can save them, is good. Theyre rare..i purchased two a month ago and there were only under 20 new,unused bolts in the country according to moparparts
95GCL is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.