broken fr sway bar mount! Fix??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > broken fr sway bar mount! Fix???

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
The kits listed for this application (Addco 543) on ebay and Summit still show the L-brackets and links as included.
mine came directly from addco, it did not have end links for the front. the rear did have proper links.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I bought the '93-'95 kit for my ZJ, which uses the lower style, and the hole in the bar where the link passes through does not allow the 2 bushings to meet in the middle like they do in the picture. With them pushed apart, it's difficult or impossible to get the washer and nut started on the link. First, I had to re-use one of the crushed rubber bushings, and then I ended up cutting down the 2 new bushings.
thanks Marcos.
I assume this was because the hole in the bar was too small for the bushings? Or was it because the end link entered the SB holes at an angle instead of perpendicular?
"this 5.9 Grand Cherokee has a hold on me. I feel this incredible surge of power, like God must feel when Hes driving a 5.9."
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
mine came directly from addco, it did not have end links for the front. the rear did have proper links.
So which links did you end up using up front?

getting this information from you is like pulling freaking teeth lol
"this 5.9 Grand Cherokee has a hold on me. I feel this incredible surge of power, like God must feel when Hes driving a 5.9."
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i had RE discos.
the early model end links are your best bet. the addco has a different diameter hole in the bar than stock 96+.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i had RE discos.
the early model end links are your best bet. the addco has a different diameter hole in the bar than stock 96+.
cheers, I would have bet on discos based on your avatar

I'm really not liking the angle iron thing, so will give these "Mevotechs" from rockauto a try (and be prepared to trim down the bushes)
Worth a shot for $14 each.

or these Raybestos "Service Grade" links for $18 (both sides)
Unread 01-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
thanks Marcos.
I assume this was because the hole in the bar was too small for the bushings? Or was it because the end link entered the SB holes at an angle instead of perpendicular?
The stock bar has "pockets" on both sides that accomodate the bushings, whereas the Addco is just flat (about 1/2 - 5/8" thick) with a hole drilled through. I should really take pictures to document what I'm talking about. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. I wonder if I switched to the balljoint type links if it would work with the bar I have now.
Marcos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The stock bar has "pockets" on both sides that accomodate the bushings, whereas the Addco is just flat (about 1/2 - 5/8" thick) with a hole drilled through. I should really take pictures to document what I'm talking about.
Thanks Marcos, I know exactly what you mean.

I just ordered all the parts for my mechanic to install in 2 weeks while I'm away for the week. Hope it goes in smoothly, he's more used to working on sporty foreign cars lol

Rusty's:
2" BB with shocks $200 (couldn't resist... hopefully won't ride too hard)
Complete steering kit: HD tie rod, drag link, sleeve and all new ends $220
"Old style" ZJ sway bar links and hardware $35
new sway bar link mounts $29
with $55 shipping, total $542

Rockauto:
Centric Premium Brake rotors $64
Centric HiPo pads: $54

Almost ordered 4 new control arms, but the bushings didn't look too bad so will save this for later.

Will post pics when she's done!

BTW, found this great picture with all of the ZJ's front suspension bits labled, helped me to understand how it all works:

Unread 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Before leaving for a business trip last week dropped the 5.9 off to have all the goodies installed. The anticipation on the way to pick her up this morning was fun

So far she feels great. The Rusty's shocks ($200 incl BB) feel a little bouncier than before (I think they were Monroes), but not bad at all overall.

My mechanic called the ever helpful Zak at Rusty's to confirm the rear BB pucks needed trimming, which he did with a sawzall. He removed the old, broken SB mounts with a cutting torch and welded on the replacements from Rusty's with a MIG.
Said everything went in easily enough, but for alignment the tie rod and drag link were almost too long i.e. close to being not enough adjustment 'in'.
I'm suprised about this - unless you're lifting WAY up high I can't imagine that these parts would need to be much longer (and then you'd install a dropped pitman arm right?).

Anyway, it drives fine, especially since the last time I drove her was without any front sway bar :P

Total cost:
parts as listed above: ~$660
grade 8 nuts/bolts for shocks and SB links from ACE: $15
Installation (sway bar axle mounts, links, new steering stabilizer, tie rod and drag link, shocks, BB, front brakes, alignment, oil change): $512

Height from ground to fender lip
before: 31 1/4"
after: 32 1/2"

Thanks for the advice all, especially NewfieZJ for pointing me towards Rusty's for the SB axle mounts!

Rusty's goodies

front parts

front shock

rear BB

after

she grew a bit!
Unread 03-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
cheers, I would have bet on discos based on your avatar

I'm really not liking the angle iron thing, so will give these "Mevotechs" from rockauto a try (and be prepared to trim down the bushes)
Worth a shot for $14 each.

or these Raybestos "Service Grade" links for $18 (both sides)

So which sway bar links did ya go with? Looks like the "Mevotechs" judging by the blue bushing, did you do both sides?

The passenger side link on my project 1994 ZJ is broken, and I was thinking to just do the raybestos service grade. I am also planning a BB, do the stock links still have a good angle with the BB?
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaubinoe View Post
So which sway bar links did ya go with? Looks like the "Mevotechs" judging by the blue bushing, did you do both sides?

The passenger side link on my project 1994 ZJ is broken, and I was thinking to just do the raybestos service grade. I am also planning a BB, do the stock links still have a good angle with the BB?
I got the links from Rusty's with the other parts. Price was about the same as Rockauto.
If you have a Addco sway bar just be aware that the length (link-to-link hole) is about 3/4-1" shorter than a stock bar. This is why Addco supplies the angle-iron 'adapter' pieces. You can see in the pic of my 'new' link (which is really an early ZJ version) that the links are angles in towards the top, deforming the bottom bushing. I really should get longer bolts and put a ~3/8 spacer between the link and the axle mount.
The SB bushing angle at rest is very close to horizontal with the 2" BB (which is closer to 1-1/2" but I'm very happy).
When I put in the spacers in a few weeks I'll post more pics.
cheers
Kurt
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #26
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I got the links from Rusty's with the other parts. Price was about the same as Rockauto.
If you have a Addco sway bar just be aware that the length (link-to-link hole) is about 3/4-1" shorter than a stock bar. This is why Addco supplies the angle-iron 'adapter' pieces. You can see in the pic of my 'new' link (which is really an early ZJ version) that the links are angles in towards the top, deforming the bottom bushing. I really should get longer bolts and put a ~3/8 spacer between the link and the axle mount.
The SB bushing angle at rest is very close to horizontal with the 2" BB (which is closer to 1-1/2" but I'm very happy).
When I put in the spacers in a few weeks I'll post more pics.
cheers
Kurt
THANKS! Yeah I think I will just get those cheap $18 links. I have a 94 ZJ and have the same style "early links. The later ones with the ball joint are very similar to the TJ links.

Since this 1994 ZJ is my extreme budget project for my sister, glad to hear I can make the stock sway links work with the BB!
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #27
IslandJeep1
1995 ZJ 

Can it get worse Running without Front Sway Bar

What is the down-side to running off-road without the front Track (Sway) Bar ? My ZJ is used exclusively off-road on very rough terrain. I crawl mostly. I heard the thunk clang and the sway bar is hanging (on the passenger side). The mount is torn clean off (nice shiny, metal edge). Since I am in the field, can Remove the Track bar completely and continue on? It could be 1-2 months before this can receive professional attention. Any ideas?

1995 Grand Cherokee on a remote island.
IslandJeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandJeep1
What is the down-side to running off-road without the front Track (Sway) Bar ? My ZJ is used exclusively off-road on very rough terrain. I crawl mostly. I heard the thunk clang and the sway bar is hanging (on the passenger side). The mount is torn clean off (nice shiny, metal edge). Since I am in the field, can Remove the Track bar completely and continue on? It could be 1-2 months before this can receive professional attention. Any ideas?

1995 Grand Cherokee on a remote island.
The track bar and sway bar are two completely different things. The trackbar is what holds the axle centered under the vehicle. It is a long bar going from the passenger axle to the drivers side frame. You cannot drive the vehicle with this removed.
The sway bar keeps the vehicle from tipping or leaning too much. It has a horizontal bar across both framerails, with vertical links at each end. The sway bar is fine to remove, and if this is strictly an off road vehicle, it will actually help your flex to remove it.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
digglah

Same thing on my 98 5.9
image-1836987591.jpg   image-2369451704.jpg   image-1776871169.jpg  
digglah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.