Broke the head off the sway bar mount - now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Broke the head off the sway bar mount - now what?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Broke the head off the sway bar mount - now what?

Besides crying, what else can I do? I can't even dream up a way to get the end of this bolt out of the frame rail, besides magic.

img_3856.jpg  
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

E-z out or drill it out and rethread or helicoil?
Magic is probably the best option.
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I once broke a lug nut in half trying to get it off the jeep the lugs are inset 2 or 3 inches on my wheels and it was very fun getting it off.
xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I usually break the EZ out off in the hole. Then I got a real problem.

I'd say use the biggest EZ out you can, spray it down with penetrant a few times over time, and then apply heat when you try to work it back and forth slowly.

Sounds almost like sex.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Sounds almost like sex.
Classy! Haha, but it was a much needed laugh, since I'm kinda torn between an incredible amount of anger, confusion, and sadness. Once I get that GD bolt out, there will be an obscene amount of screaming. Just like sex.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
shackwrrr

EZ outs are only for stuff that broke because you overtorqued it, they were never designed to remove rusted fasteners.

My suggestion is to drill completely through the bolt with a pilot drill, then up the sizes until you can either pick the remnants out or you can just re thread it.
shackwrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Guess I'll drill it out then. Can anyone tell me what the thread pitch is for the sway bar mounting bracket (where the rear sway bar meets the frame rail)? I have the FSM and exploded parts diagrams but it is only labeled as "bolt". How useful.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: And for that matter, what is the correct size socket/wrench I should use to remove the other bolts? I was using a 5/8" (I believe) which also stripped the head if you can tell in the picture. So that certainly couldn't have helped.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
shackwrrr

M8x1.25 bolt with 15mm head. Arount 30-35mm long.
shackwrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Like most newer cars, most of the nuts and bolts are metric. My poor SAE sockets and wrenches are getting dusty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.