On the bright side, one of my clunks is gone.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > On the bright side, one of my clunks is gone....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

On the bright side, one of my clunks is gone....

Well i was doing a little offroading yesterday and towards the end of the trail, i realized that a clunk that i had acquired earlier in the day was getting worse and worse. I figured i was almost out, about a half mile of easy trail left until maintained gravel road, so i'd just wait 'til i was off the trail to check what was up (because i didn't have any tools with me and i wouldn't be able to fix anything out on the trail anyway).

Well with about a quarter mile to go, i heard what sounded like a small bell ring from just inside my right rear tire. So i got out to have a looksie and saw:

As you can see, basically where the swaybar link attaches to the "frame" just decided to rip out. I panicked at first, but then figured i didn't NEED my swaybar, so i drove home.

Now for the bad news. I need to drive 700 miles back to school on Tuesday. I was originally planning on driving the Jeep and pulling about 3000 lbs of trailer. But now i don't think that would be safe to do. But i want to ask you guys. There's an offroad shop right near campus that i trust and i would love to have them fix this problem. But i'm wondering if driving the Jeep such a long distance (especially towing a trailer) would completely ruin the frame. So what do you guys think?

Edit: some more pictures

Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

I've driven my jeep for at least 5k miles without a rear sway bar, you'l be fine.

EDIT: Nevermind, since you're towing a trailer I wouldn't recommend it. At this point you're going to have to have someone weld in a new mount.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Black95ZJ
1995 ZJ 

Ouch. Yeah, I have to agree with Gator. There's no way you should tow anything with that looking like that. Better to have someone weld a new one in (hey, added beef....) than to even think about chancing it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...thread-900114/

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY MEMBER

MILITARY JEEPERS MEMBER # 203
Black95ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

I towed my CJ5 180 miles without a rear sway bar. I forgot it was off. No problem on my end. I also tow lots of other things besides it.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
CrazyWalnut13
2000 WJ 

Well i'm not so much worried about having no sway bar as i am about having a gigantic chunk of frame missing.

I can handle leaving earlier and driving slower if there's no swaybar, i just want to know if the integrity of the frame is compromised by missing a fat piece.
Formerly Default Jeeper #13
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 with stuff. Look left for the deets.
CrazyWalnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

It's nothing to worry about but definitely get a new bracket welded on when you get done with your trip. You will also have to be careful on the highway of other people. With no rear sway bar, the rear really likes to roll so any quick lane changes could be dangerous, especially towing.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Just go 45mph.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.