Brief rpm increase while driving. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brief rpm increase while driving.

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Brief rpm increase while driving.

This has been happening randomly since I had my trans leaks sorted out, but while im driving i'll notice a slight increase in my rpm every now and then. Today while driving home i was going 65ish kp/h rpm's were at about 1800 rpm and it briefly increased rpm about 200. Trans is full and fluid is a bit lighter than a maroon color but the atf new was almost the same color new just a bit lighter.

What should i start looking at would this be the engine or trans causing this?

xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

this is usually caused by a bad brake switch. to confirm, hold accelerator steady and lightly touch the brake pedal. the rpms should quit cycling.

normal operation is the brake switch deactivates the torque convertor clutch solenoid. this is on a different set of contacts than the brake lights and speed control.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

It doesn't always do it though and I have not figured out a pattern yet.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
It doesn't always do it though and I have not figured out a pattern yet.
Is it when your cruise control is on? If so you have a bad TPS.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So far everytime its happened I have not been using the cruise.
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ok so watching the tech pump out some fluid today I noticed how dark the fluid was when it came out so if I wanted to do a cheap fluid flush and remove the pressure line and let some fluid out will that work or is there another way so I dont have to buy a gasket again. I just did the atf fluid change but the remander of the fluid that was in there must have darkened up the new stuff. Ive only put 5000 kms on it since the change.
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
a70eliminator

So what advise did you get from the tech?
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

That I should service it lol duh.
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I just dont want to replace another pan gasket because I get trans fluid free and I can do this on saturday if I had some input
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
a70eliminator

Well as already discussed the lock-up-converter recieves input from the brake switch, have you ruled that out?
I had the same issue it's like the trans would slip in and out of OD causing a 100-200 RPM fluctuation, I only then realized I was subconciously riding the brake pedal with the side of my leg. it doesn't take much you barely have to touch it. try it and find out for yourself.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ill play around on the way home then thanks. But as for the atf change will dissconecting the pressure or return line work to empty out my fluid and how much will come out that way. Enough to make a difference?
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So i tried stepping on the brake while driving and was getting no fluctuation. So im not loosing rpm im gaining like 200-300 rpm and its completely random sometimes it will go weeks without doing it and sometimes it will happen multiple times in 1 run. Now that i know the fluid is fairly dark will old fluid cause that kind of behavior?
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
So i tried stepping on the brake while driving and was getting no fluctuation. So im not loosing rpm im gaining like 200-300 rpm and its completely random
What you are describing are the exact symptoms of a bad brake switch. Think of the TCC as fifth gear. If you drop down a gear at the same acceleration, the RPMS go up. What you need to do is catch it fluctuating and then lightly touch (not "step on") the pedal while holding steady acceleration.

You haven't eliminated the brake switch as cause yet.

If your fluid is dark you need to change it regardless of any perceived problems it may be causing.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

I have the same surge on occasion. I replaced the brake switch but still have the problem. It will do it with or without the cruise on. I have a slow transmission leak but I watch it and keep it within the safe zone. I have not noticed it doing it as frequently since it got warmer.. but it does still happen. Usually on fairly level pavement.. more often I think as I'm entering a curve but not always.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Daniel
qxotic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Well I cant be of much help because its so random for me. I wonder if it has something to do with the overdrive itself?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.