Break problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Break problems...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

Break problems...

My rear pads are worn down. They have been grinding recently. When I went to break today the e brake light came on and the grinding stopped. Also I noticed I have to press a lot harder on the brake to stop and the break peddle moves further than before. My rear pads can't be working anymore cause I would be able to hear it. I got new pads and I am planning on taking a look tomorrow and change the pads. Any ideas or suggestions?

nothinlikeaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
chich
1995 ZJ 

I recently got a 95 and my e brake wasn't working.When I pulled it apart there was absolutely no pad left at all and it was pretty rusted up in there.I'm waiting for new pads and a hardware kit to see if I can get it operational again.I guess the PO hardly ever used it.It's possible your emergency brake pads were dragging,and that's what you heard.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
camojeep95
1995 ZJ 

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinlikeaJeep View Post
My rear pads are worn down. They have been grinding recently. When I went to break today the e brake light came on and the grinding stopped. Also I noticed I have to press a lot harder on the brake to stop and the break peddle moves further than before. My rear pads can't be working anymore cause I would be able to hear it. I got new pads and I am planning on taking a look tomorrow and change the pads. Any ideas or suggestions?
I had a problem like this but my ebrake would get really hot expand and wouldent let my jeep move...the rear was shifted about 2 inches forward quick way you can tell measure from front tire to back tire they should be the same number on both sides easy fix if thats what your issue is!
camojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

Your ebrake hardware is probably shot.

If the grinding is really bad you've probably scored grooves in your rotors as well.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinlikeaJeep View Post
You'd better pick up a sets of drums (or rotors) plus a new set of return springs.

P.S. Check the fronts too......might as well start fresh since they are the first to wear out.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
sebian
1995 ZJ 

X2 on getting new rotors/drums. I wore my pads down like that once and it made grooves in my rotors.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

Okay so I just took my tires off to see what's up. The grooves are pretty hardcore. I changed the pads about 6 months ago and there was just some minor scratches, but now it's like the grand canyon. The old pads were still on there as rusty as they were. I didn't even bother putting the new pads on yet because of how bad the grooves were. I bet my mechanic friends are going to tell me grinding them down isn't even an option, o well.

So here's my situation. I'm suppose to be moving tomorrow and I got a good 3 hour drive. Fortunately it's almost all highway so I won't be needing to break much. Hopefully I make it without dying. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
melk
1996 ZJ 

Wow. That's all I have to say!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If your back brakes are that bad, I would definitely replace them before making the trip. It will take maybe 2 hours of your time, and that will be time well worth it. Both for you, and others on the road.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

I would definately change them before the trip too. If you have rear disc brakes, the job won't take long at all & the parts shouldn't be much more than $30 per rotor & around $20 for the pads, at least in my area.

I too had problems with my e-brakes. They were rusted up & padless. I removed the entire e-brake assembly from each side of the rear brakes until I get the time to replace it all.

Also, there's a recall for the brake rotors. It has to do with corrosion, may be worth looking into.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

This is what happens when you ignore something like BAD BRAKES and then all of a sudden you have a long trip to make and you are scrambling to fix something that should have been fixed long ago. And you are worried about YOUR safety??

What about the other family you might kill if your brakes fail? What do you say to that?
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

My front pads were just changed within the last month and those rotors are fine. I care about my safety and others and I wouldn't drive it if I thought I was endangering anyone.
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
nothinlikeaJeep
1995 ZJ 

Just a little update. I made it safe and sound no problem. I found out my brake fluid was empty so I put some in a pumped the brakes. I got a big hole in my break line gushing fluid. I figure I should fix that before I tackle the drums and pads. While I'm at it should I get new calipers? They were really rusty and if its not expensive I might as well right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.