Brand New tires seems to be wearing badly... again - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brand New tires seems to be wearing badly... again

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well that alingment i had was on the 8th on this month ratmonkey.. The alignment i had like 5-6 months ago was AFTER my accident.. I went right in after my wreck and got my alingment done and thats when i paid for the 1 year free alignment thing..

I asked the guy today when i had the alignment checked (to make sure the one in in the picture was accurate) why my toe was so off like youre mentioning.. He said it was probably because the vehicle was alinged with those severly uneven tires.. and once i got new tires on it showed what the alingment really was at.. Does this make sense ? If you want I can scan the paper from the alignment i got after the accident ? I still have it. But no to your bet, a 2nd opinion at a 2nd shop showed my corrected toe and caster were exactly what they were to set too at the first shop in that picture.. So it didnt change again

As for the wheel bearing.. Should I take the wheel bearing hub off on that side and see if its bad ? I know wiggling the tires up and down and left and right when you jack it up doesnt show any play.. Im familier with taking the hub off, because I replaced my moms cv axles not too long ago.. So it wont be a problem to check if you think I should ?

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well I appritiate all the help guys, i learned a lot.. Thanks everyone... For now ill get them to center my wheel, and rotate religiously every 2-3k miles.. and when I get the cash I'll go to a body shop and have them look over my Jeep to see whats wrong with the rear axle and anything else.
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #33
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Oh hey guys look what i found, I made this 2 YEARS ago... This was litterally 1,000 miles after i purschased my Jeep. So 2 months after i got it.. The right front was wearing back then like it is now... Now do you see what im talking about ? The accident i had this year didnt cause this, it was already like this when i bought it. Drivers side is fine its the passenger side that is wearing

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2001959AAdN1AM
Unread 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Here is another picture of that tire... Look how horrible that is after 2-300 miles.. Notice the outside how shredded it is.. then look at the tread on the rest of the tire.. its got rubber peeling off
all over the tread

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #35
timbo1969
2003 WJ 

So ... bumping this to see if there is any new information on this issue.
I am experiencing nearly identical issues.
Though, my wear is on the driver's outside.

Multiple alignments, new tires, new suspension components ... even a visit to a shop that has a "jeep dude" who only replaced the track bar that i replaced a year earlier.
ARGH.

To the point of writing the history down and taking it to the dealer ... with instructions to not do anything until i visually observe what their "diagnosis" is ...

Thoughts?
timbo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1969 View Post
So ... bumping this to see if there is any new information on this issue.
I am experiencing nearly identical issues.
Though, my wear is on the driver's outside.

Multiple alignments, new tires, new suspension components ... even a visit to a shop that has a "jeep dude" who only replaced the track bar that i replaced a year earlier.
ARGH.

To the point of writing the history down and taking it to the dealer ... with instructions to not do anything until i visually observe what their "diagnosis" is ...

Thoughts?
Exactly what suspension components?

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I would also suspect wheel hub/bearing or axle shaft.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

what tire pressures are you running? I have a similar issue with mine and noticed that the wear decreases dramatically if I bump the tire pressure from 35psi to 38-40psi with the Destination AT tires. For the Blizzak tires, on the other hand, that's too high, I get wear in the middle of the threads.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #39
timbo1969
2003 WJ 

sebian:
Upper / Lower Control Arms
Complete linkage (tie rods, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings)
Track Bar (2)
Stabilizer
Shocks
Springs
Rear Control Arms
Rear Track Bar
(have not changed the Ball Joints)

4Slow9erHybrid:
Good question. Just checked. 37psi all around.

Noticed that the jeep had a hard time stabilizing a couple of months ago after hitting bumps, etc. (i replaced the whole front end about a year ago - Moog components on the tie rods, etc. and Crown on the Control Arms and Track Bar).
Looked underneath, didn't see anything immediately.
Lifted it up, checked the tires for ball joints, etc. ... didn't notice anything.

Took it in to Tires Plus where I bought my tires in November, thinking that maybe one of the weights had fallen off, or perhaps the alignment had slipped out. They rotated, balanced, re-aligned. The issue remained.
Drove it for about another week ... had another shop look at it (Firestone owns Tire Plus and honors the lifetime packages).
He looked at the front tires and said "There's your problem. The tires are bad. See how they are wearing uneven? I will go ahead and warranty them under the Road Hazard, and I bet you'll be okay."
Two new tires, rotated and balanced, realigned ... driving home ... not as bad, but still there.
"Whatever" ... I thought.

Called around and found a shop that had a "Jeep guy."
Sweet.
Well, he just changed the Track Bar and replied ... it's a Jeep, that is just how these drive.
I have driven this Jeep since 1998 ... it is not "just how they drive."

I am leaning towards a bad Ball Joint ... as it would cause a unique wheel to be the identified with wear, while giving the whole steering a problem ... maybe?
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
timbo1969
2003 WJ 

I do hear a rythmatic wah-wah-wah-wah quite often while traveling at speeds about 45mph.
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #41
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I would have included ball joints, but I figured you did those with the rest of the work. I agree, check the ball joints, one or both may be bad.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Didnt realize this thread was still going

My issue is pretty much fixed, the horrible picture you see up top it hasnt done that since the like 6 th alignment i got actually corrected my issue.. I do have some slight wear on the outside on the passenger side vs the drivers side, but then I do make alot of high speed left hand turns (stop lights ect) so thats a given i believe.. Im just rotating my tires every 2-3k miles to keep the wearing even.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.