Brand New tires seems to be wearing badly... again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brand New tires seems to be wearing badly... again

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Brand New tires seems to be wearing badly... again

I replaced my old bald tires a week ago on the 5.9.. They wore on the outside to the point where i lost traction in the rain and needed new tires.. I for 2 years tried to fix the problem, replacing the VC, replacing control arms, bringing it to shops for alingment and spending tons of money to have mechanics diagnose it... Everyone tells me the Jeep is fine and nothing is wrong with it... They tell me its just my agressive driving and or that these Jeeps are agressive when it comes to wearing tires out because when you turn the wheel the tires lean side to side..

these tires (BFG Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/16) seem to be wearing like the other ones.. The drivers side looks ok, the passenger side the outside very outside edge where the rubber stops.. looks like its being shredded.. There are small tiny chunks coming off that i can grab with my nails and pull off and or it looks craterd like a pitted face like someone took very rough sand paper to the tread.. and the little hairs are already gone while the drivers side they are still there... I noticed this with my other tires.. The passenger side was the worst side as far as wear went...

I dont get it, i brought it in for an alignment right after i got them.. The guy spent like 45 minutes readjusting everything, bringing the caster from 6.50 to 7.50 and made the toe litterally at 0.07 for both sides.. he made it all perfect litterally then even jacked up all four wheels and with the engine running watched how they moved, turned the wheel and watched the cv axles to see if they wobbled.. Nothing was wrong.... Also my steering wheel is off center again... According to his machine its perfectly center but when im driving i have to turn the wheel about 1/2 or 1 inch to the left to keep straight on the road.. I took a drive on the freeway last night and while my road noise vibrations that i had for 2 years are gone.. (musta been my old tires) the Jeep pulls to the right if i put my wheel to the center and let go of the wheel..

Something is wrong with my freaking car and After 2 years i still cant figure out what is doing this between parts and money spent on alignments and diagnosis i've spent probly $700 trying to fix this.. ... no mechanic i bring it too can either they say everything is perfect.. I adjusted my steering wheel myself using the little steering linkage bar underneeth per what people said on the forums.. I made it perfectly center so it didnt pull to the side anymore... but according to the alingment shop that made my steering off center... When he adjusted it back to center i have to drive with the wheel turned an inch to the left... This makes no sense to me..

I'll take a picture when my mom gets backs home from work she is borrowing my Jeep.. This is my old tire tho on the outside edge.. As you can see obviously the tire has some decent tread left.. Maybe 6-8k miles after this picture was taken.. the tires even with rotation's were so bald right there, that there was litterally no tread left on the outside lugs.

This is the inside of the that tire taken at the same day look how much tread is left.. Its like double the thickness.. and after i got rid of these tires.. when the outside had nothing left.. The inside had about what the first picture looks like.. It was nearly down to the wear mark but still decent tread left..

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Post all the numbers.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

To what he adjusted them too, from what they were prior ?

Ok I'll do that I'll scan the paper and post the picture, My mom has my Jeep tho and the chart is in my glove box. : / I'll drive up there and get it out of my box then.. I'll be back in like 30 minutes.
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Both
Caster at 7.5 is pretty high and will follow the road crown leading to a passenger side pull.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well her BF just took the other Jeep... so im stuck at home lol.. I'll post the number later tonight then.. damit lol.. I do know tho off hand, the old caster was 6.53, the new was 7.50. The old TOE combined was like 0.24, afterwords he brought it down to 0.07 or something around that i believe

The chart he had had a billion numbers on it i couldnt remember all off hand
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

How many alignment racks has this thing been on? If the answer is one, get it verified at a different shop.

Adjusting the steering wheel to center does not affect the actual alignment, you can do that yourself. Don't confuse an off center steering wheel with the alignment specs, they're not related.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Its been on 3 different racks, about 5 times now... I went to another Merchants today, they checked the alingment and had the master mechanic look at it while on a lift, he poke and proded my joints with a pry bar, checked for loose parts he said my steering and suspension is in good shape...

The adjustments the prior shop was good, cept he said the toe was a little off.. it was 0.03, they adjusted it to 0.14. The steering alingment was way off all the way on the left of the red bar.. It was like 0.34 degree's or something like that.. He adjusted it to 0.02.. I took it home and all that did was make it worse... Now my steering is like a good 2-3 inches to the left and its hard to drive the Jeep and keep it center..

This is pissing me off..

Here is the alingment chart from the shop i went too the other day, prior to today.. All the specs are the same, cept the toe is now 0.14 instead of 0.03 and 0.10

Unread 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

No expert, but looks perfect. Maybe Ratmonkey will spot something.

Maybe your VC is causing the tires to scrub.

Try swapping the two front tires and see if the pulling to the right changes.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

The tires are brand new, that wont do anything because it did with the old worn out tires as well, the VC is only a year old i replaced it already it isnt that.

Here look at my tires... This is with 200 miles on them.. Note how the first picture which is the drivers side. Is wearing smoothly.. Then note the 2nd picture the passenger side how its all scrubbed and rough and missing tiny bits of rubber on the outer edges of the tread... That doesnt look normal to me for 200 miles..

Expand the image to see it better.. You'll notice the diff between the 2 tires right away... One is smooth, the other is rough, missing corners of the tread already.. Looks terrible compared to the other side.. The other problem is outa those 200 ish miles i drove 120 were on the freeway last night... So no sharp fast hard turns. just straight driving at 65mph... Something is wearing out my tire on that side, and im wondering if its related to the off center steering.

Unread 11-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Just throwing out ideas...

Like Foundrydude said, steering wheel position has nothing to do with anything.

Just because you replaced a part doesn't eliminate it from the equation. Try the figure 8 test after a good drive. You should be able to idle in a circle with the steering wheel at full cock too. Its a free test
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Try swapping the two front tires and see if the pulling to the right changes.
Do that. Has the vehicle ever been in an accident? Is the frame straight?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

It was in a minor fender bender earlier this year, but that isnt what did this.. It was doing it prior to that. I can drive fine in a locked circle, or figure 8 the Jeep doesnt bounce. I dunno about idling in a full locked circle tho lol, i dont think I could do that even with the new VC... I never tried it tho, I'll see what happens
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The SAI cross is way to much and most likely your issue.Just because all the major settings are "in spec" does not mean you will not get tire wear.Got some bad #'s in the rear that maybe the cause for the front tire wear,seems like it's pushing the front(scrubbing and a little dog tracking) from the rear settings.Remember the front toe is set by the rear axle position.
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

I took mine to two different shops, 1st said all was good, nope, track bar mount worn. 2nd shop,all is good, nope, loose steering box. Ticks me off too that you go to a place that swears they know jeeps, and they checked everything, and find out yourself that they didn't. Too bad for them, bad news travels fast.
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The SAI cross is way to much and most likely your issue.Just because all the major settings are "in spec" does not mean you will not get tire wear.Got some bad #'s in the rear that maybe the cause for the front tire wear,seems like it's pushing the front(scrubbing and a little dog tracking) from the rear settings.Remember the front toe is set by the rear axle position.

Yea the place that chart is from said my drivers rear toe was off.. Said it could be from a bent hub or something.. If they are suppose to adjust the front via the rear then why the **** arent they doing that !!! Can you please explain to me what "bad numbers" means for the rear i dont know much about all these numbers to be honest

As for the SAI i dont even know what that is.. What is it suppose to be at... God this is frustrating.. i wish one of these bozo mechanics would get this damn thing fixed..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.