Brakes Locked Up - 96' ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brakes Locked Up - 96' ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
JasonCasperLive
1996 ZJ 

Brakes Locked Up - 96' ZJ

I was on my way home from work today and I noticed that my jeep was kind of lagging, lost power in my acceleration, tranny wasnt going into overdrive, and my brake pedal was hard as a rock. So I pulled over (noticing a burning smell). Got out and all 4 wheels were smoking (brakes)... This has never happened to me before. So I turned off the jeep waited a while, fired it back up and brake pedal was fine and It drove great after that (other than the fact I wore down alot of my brake pads). Anyways Im looking to see if anyone knows what this could be... because I dont want to drive it knowing there might be something wrong with the brakes.

*To answer a few questions now. I have a new master cylinder and brake booster in it, the lines have been bled plenty, and the brake light switch is new.

Only possibility i can think of is maybe... i noticed the boot (dust cover) on my caliper diaphragm was f*&^ up but I didnt bother to replace when I put new brakes on a few months ago. I went with high dollar brakes and rotors and was low on funds for new calipers.
But I dont see how it would make ALL 4 brakes lock up.

Any Advise.
I do everything myself on my jeep, being is how everything on jeeps are very easy to work on but Ive never ran into this problem with any vehicle. I would hate to have to take it to a shop.

Thanks.

JasonCasperLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

All four locked does seem strange.

If you went with high dollar pads and rotors then calipers are cheap in comparison. After having calipers freeze up numerous times within days/weeks of doing pads/rotors I always do calipers at the same time.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
BeDifferent
1995 ZJ 

if is all 4 (mine was both rear = rear brake hose split) all 4 is the - "something brake valve" __ some one help with the correct name here ! -
a control valve near the abs setup, its not part of the abs could be stuck or faulty..,

OR, bleeding the lines is good, but does not mean that they are 'good', it does seem unlikely that all 4 (5) brake lines fault at the same time, but when a rubber line faults the inside puffs/ swells/ restricts the flow, so when cold it bleeds well, and the wheels turn freely, but hit the brakes hard a couple times and the fluid compresses on the brake side of the hose, keeping the brake on, till it slowly releases back to the system.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDifferent View Post
if is all 4 (mine was both rear = rear brake hose split) all 4 is the - "something brake valve" __ some one help with the correct name here ! -
a control valve near the abs setup, its not part of the abs could be stuck or faulty..,

OR, bleeding the lines is good, but does not mean that they are 'good', it does seem unlikely that all 4 (5) brake lines fault at the same time, but when a rubber line faults the inside puffs/ swells/ restricts the flow, so when cold it bleeds well, and the wheels turn freely, but hit the brakes hard a couple times and the fluid compresses on the brake side of the hose, keeping the brake on, till it slowly releases back to the system.
That would be the brake proportioning valve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
JasonCasperLive
1996 ZJ 

thanks.. looking into it. will let you know
JasonCasperLive is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.