brakes on 2000 wj - how to relieve pressure from ABS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > brakes on 2000 wj - how to relieve pressure from ABS

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
takedown
1988 YJ Wrangler 

brakes on 2000 wj - how to relieve pressure from ABS

Hey GUys! Simple question.

I'm reading a guide on autozone.com on doing my rotors but this is the first time doing brakes on a vehicle with ABS

step 2: Drain 2 / 3 of the brake fluid from the front reservoir. Use the bleeder screw at the front outlet port to drain the fluid. If equipped with anti-lock brakes, relieve the system pressure.

draining the fluid is not hard but how do i relieve system pressure on ABS???

thanks!

takedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Valkyrie0002
2009 JK Wrangler 

Don't need to relieve the pressure on the ABS system. I've never had to do anything different to change pads or rotors on a vehicle with ABS. Remove some fluid from the master cyl if it is full up so you have room when you push the pistons back into the caliper.

Good idea to flush/ bleed the system from all 4 wheels. Get a cheap hand vacuum pump kit and use that to pull fluid from the caliper or wheel cylinder bleeders. Don't let the resevior get too low.
Valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Like Valkyrie said you do NOT need to relieve any pressure.

Just unscrew the resevior cap, this will allow room for extra brake fluid to collect and make it possible to press in your caliper pistions.

Once your need pads and rotors are installed, replace the resevior cap and pump the brakes until they harden. If you don't open the lines, you often don't have to bleed the brakes. If they feel soft, them bleed them.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

do them as you would any other vehicle, no need to even open the reservoir if there wasn't fluid added while the pads were wearing down.
won't need to bleed them either unless you opened the lines for some stupid reason.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.