Brake Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Problem

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

Brake Problem

i have a 93 ZJ and brakes will not grab idk why i think maybe master cyclinder but i dont know can anybody point me in the right direction

GrandJoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Hows the pedal feel? Any leaks anywhere? How old are the rotors/pads (or drums/shoes if they are in the rear)?

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

The pads and shoes are all new and the rotors just got turned and as long your not moving the pedal is hard but when your moving its goes soft
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
kevo94zj
1994 ZJ 

check your brake lines for leaks ...
good luck
kevo94zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

have any hissing coming from that area of the dash?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

thats just the thing theres no hissing and there are no leaks
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

I'm having issues along this line as well. I've been told that if it's not the master it might be the proportioning valve. I'm taking it in to be checked next week. I'm not savvy enough with the mechanical stuffs to work on my own brakes. I like living too much.

If this thread's still about, I'll give an update here when I get info from the shop. Hopefully it will be of some help to the OP. It's crazy how the brakes just seem to become soft when everything appears to be in order. I don't understand it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

yea i know tell me about it but i replace my proportioning valve and it didnt really help much but plz let me know what they says
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandJoker View Post
yea i know tell me about it but i replace my proportioning valve and it didnt really help much but plz let me know what they says
Well, he just tested out the brake pedal while it was in park, so that doesn't help much. He'll have to actually take it out and drive it, then go over all the various bits and pieces to see what's up. He just mentioned it 'could' be the proportioning valve. I've even heard, in another thread on JF, that the brake lines are rubber and can get old so that they expand when you press the brakes, softening the response of the brakes. Who knows in the end? It's like everything else with Jeeps, it's always got 50 possible causes and usually turns out to be the last one you test out. Process of elimination is key.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
GrandJoker
2009 JK Wrangler 

yes i know lol there great vehicals but so complicated but i have heard that to but there really aint a way to check it. is there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.