Brake problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake problem

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
garretthadsell
1998 ZJ 

Brake problem

Ok so ive got a 98 zj with 4.0 I just changed the brakes and rotors on it. I went out for a test drive and everything worked fine then all of a sudden the driver side front started making a clicking noise while braking kind of sounds like the caliper moving back and forth. It also smells like burning brakes bad. Does anyone know what it might be? I already checked the bolts and slides they are not siezed and it does not pull other than the alignment issue. Im thinking maybe a siezed piston anyone else think it could be?

garretthadsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

More than likely the calipers are shot.
You can get replacements with a core return for real cheap. Just replace both sides.

When you go back into replacing the the calipers, take a look at the slides that the pads move back and forth on. After a time the pads will wear a divot into the slide and cause the pads to apply uneven pressure to the rotors and cause them to wear out unevenly and reduce the stopping power.
Get them filled in with a welder.

Your brakes will feel like new. Also check the rears.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
sdhsbaseball
1994 ZJ 

I had the same issue in that my driver side pad, caliper, rotor started smoking one day after a short drive but when i let it cool everything seemed fine. Brake caliper wasn't stuck and brake pedal didnt seem stuck or mushy. I still replaced pads, rotors, and calipers on the front since they were pretty worn anyway and i haven't had the issue since.
sdhsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Might be the flex.hose. most likely the caliper.is shot.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
garretthadsell
1998 ZJ 

Well figured it out tonight new it wasnt caliper cause it would be pulling to one side when I hit the brakes thought it was driver side but ended up being passenger side I replaced the hub not to long ago and the studs are wrong I guess so the stud is slipping back and forth in the rotor holes hopefully fixing it this weekend
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
garretthadsell
1998 ZJ 

Well its still doing it but its not as loud anymore kind of a thunking/grinding sound I can feel it in the brake pedal and in the floor still cant figure out what it is
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Its very common for calipers to seize up after replacing pads and rotors. Especially for old calipers. Its happened to me often enough that I now do calipers, pads, and rotors together.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead
Its very common for calipers to seize up after replacing pads and rotors. Especially for old calipers. Its happened to me often enough that I now do calipers, pads, and rotors together.
Really?never had that problem
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Really?never had that problem
No, I'm making it up.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
garretthadsell
1998 ZJ 

Shouldnt it be pulling to one side if they are siezed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.