JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Brake problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/brake-problem-1543856/)

garretthadsell 07-01-2013 10:31 PM

Brake problem

Ok so ive got a 98 zj with 4.0 I just changed the brakes and rotors on it. I went out for a test drive and everything worked fine then all of a sudden the driver side front started making a clicking noise while braking kind of sounds like the caliper moving back and forth. It also smells like burning brakes bad. Does anyone know what it might be? I already checked the bolts and slides they are not siezed and it does not pull other than the alignment issue. Im thinking maybe a siezed piston anyone else think it could be?

JS97ZJ 07-02-2013 07:54 AM

More than likely the calipers are shot.
You can get replacements with a core return for real cheap. Just replace both sides.

When you go back into replacing the the calipers, take a look at the slides that the pads move back and forth on. After a time the pads will wear a divot into the slide and cause the pads to apply uneven pressure to the rotors and cause them to wear out unevenly and reduce the stopping power.
Get them filled in with a welder.

Your brakes will feel like new. Also check the rears.

sdhsbaseball 07-02-2013 08:54 AM

I had the same issue in that my driver side pad, caliper, rotor started smoking one day after a short drive but when i let it cool everything seemed fine. Brake caliper wasn't stuck and brake pedal didnt seem stuck or mushy. I still replaced pads, rotors, and calipers on the front since they were pretty worn anyway and i haven't had the issue since.

exmilitary 07-02-2013 09:32 AM

Might be the flex.hose. most likely the caliper.is shot.

garretthadsell 07-02-2013 08:55 PM

Well figured it out tonight new it wasnt caliper cause it would be pulling to one side when I hit the brakes thought it was driver side but ended up being passenger side I replaced the hub not to long ago and the studs are wrong I guess so the stud is slipping back and forth in the rotor holes hopefully fixing it this weekend

garretthadsell 07-10-2013 01:24 PM

Well its still doing it but its not as loud anymore kind of a thunking/grinding sound I can feel it in the brake pedal and in the floor still cant figure out what it is

Technohead 07-10-2013 04:54 PM

Its very common for calipers to seize up after replacing pads and rotors. Especially for old calipers. Its happened to me often enough that I now do calipers, pads, and rotors together.

dusterdude 07-10-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technohead
Its very common for calipers to seize up after replacing pads and rotors. Especially for old calipers. Its happened to me often enough that I now do calipers, pads, and rotors together.

Really?never had that problem

Technohead 07-10-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusterdude (Post 15663573)
Really?never had that problem

No, I'm making it up.

garretthadsell 07-10-2013 09:59 PM

Shouldnt it be pulling to one side if they are siezed

The time now is 10:28 AM.