Brake "Pop!" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake "Pop!"

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Doxastic
1998 ZJ 

Brake "Pop!"

So, whenever I brake really hard and come to a stop, I get a POP as soon as I left off the brake. I feel like it might be tied to my steering, but I'm not sure. My brakes may be effecting my steering just because I need an alignment. And the steering might have nothing to do with the POP. But it's definitely got something to do with the brakes.

Would my master cylinder pop like that? It's just one pop. And it happens when I let off the brake. And it sounds like it's coming from my feet.

Doxastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

sounds like you have an issuse in your brakes somewhere, maybe a stuck caliper or even a pad that has come off the backing. you're going to need to take them apart and inspect every part closely, make sure the caliper slides are nice and clean too.
mudruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Doxastic
1998 ZJ 

Hmmm... but why would any of that POP? And it sounds like it's coming from somewhere by my feet. I guess maybe if its the driver's side caliper.

A friend thinks it might be a spring. But it would POP when I stop, not when I let off the brake.
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

This could be a bunch of things actually. What comes to mind for me is a control arm bushing-maybe. Or if you have a lift, it could be the spring rubbing on the bump stop or something like that. Best thing to do at this point is crawling underneath and start looking for things that show wear, or signs of rubbing, grabbing stuff and trying to move it, or using a prybar and see if things have play/slack etc...
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, it could be alot of things, x2 on the control arm bushings. But you should just check everything, make sure your calipers are tightened down all the way, check all your bolts down there. A single "pop" is usually do to a loose bolt or worn bushing.

EDIT: Hey make sure to check your spring isolators, and shock mount.

Last edited by 98mopar; 03-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: add spell
98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Doxastic
1998 ZJ 

I don't see the bushing thing. Caliper maybe, if it's the driver's side. But the POP happens literally as soon as I take my foot off the brake. So, I apply pressure on the brake, come to a stop, stay stopped for a second as I look for oncoming traffic, lift my foot of the brake to press on the accelerator and POP!. I don't think it'd be in the suspension, because it would POP when I came to a stop, not when I lifted off the brake. Plus, sometimes I can get it to POP on the freeway if I slow down really quickly, and don't even come to a full stop.

It's definitely got something to do with the brake pedal and how hard I push it, which is why I first thought Master Cylinder. What about the Power Brake Booster? I don't even know what that is....
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

sticky caliper-my vote
Unread 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

usually is control arms or track bar. the axle is rotating under the braking load and the instant you let the tires unlock from the brakes it pops back into position.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

It could be a sticking caliper, if it has been happening for a little while, you can check your pads on the driver and passenger side and check for uneven wear. I would still think a control arm bushing, just like ratmonkey said, when you brake your putting a lot of reverse torque on your axle, and when you let off all the pressure is released. Do you ever get this pop when you go from reverse to drive?
The best thing to do right now, would be to jack it up on some jack stands, and get under there with a pry bar and see if you get any movement out of the control arms. If it is the caliper, then you will just have to buy a new one. So for the free time being, I would just get under it and check EVERYTHING you can. Check you spring isolators, and your shock mounts, and your tie rod end links. Check your caliper bolts, check your pads, ect.
98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Does one of your front wheels dirty up faster than the other, or does it pull to one side for the first few feet of movement after stopping? Both are signs of sticking caliper pistons or slides. If it's not doing either of those then you're not noticing or it's not the caliper.

Have somebody get down to where they can see/hear and move the truck back and forth a few inches. The pop should be much easier to isolate. good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
BigRed4x4
1993 ZJ 

x3 on the CA bushings. I've had more trouble out of my zj when it comes to bushings than anything else. I replaced all the CA bushings up front about a month ago and just last week I started getting a terrible pop. It was the lower CA on the driver side. Mine would be when I back up and press the brakes. I just needed to retorque it but this also happened when the bushings were shot. My "pops" also sounded like they were right under my feet and I could feel them pretty well. That was because the frame mount for the lower CA is right under the driver's feet and the unibody just lets any vibration reverberate right through.

Also check lug nuts. Sounds stupid but I have shop mechanics that come into work and tell me all the time how people have front end problems and it turns out to be loose lug nuts. Good luck
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

ZJ's are also known for having break pads wear slots into the sliders on your knuckles. This can cause things to catch and pop. The WJ's have replaceable slider covers that eliminate the pads wearing into the knuckles.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Doxastic
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Does one of your front wheels dirty up faster than the other, or does it pull to one side for the first few feet of movement after stopping? Both are signs of sticking caliper pistons or slides. If it's not doing either of those then you're not noticing or it's not the caliper.

Have somebody get down to where they can see/hear and move the truck back and forth a few inches. The pop should be much easier to isolate. good luck
I'll take a look at the wheels to see if one is dirtying up faster than another. But it definitely pulls to the right when I brake, which is why I thought I needed alignment work done. The harder I brake, the harder it pulls to the right. I can actually go around bends by braking.
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Doxastic
1998 ZJ 

So I'll take a look at the CA bushings. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bushing, either CA or Sway.

After I first got the car, I was going around a corner, and I felt something go loose. Now it doesn't corner the same. The only way I can describe it is, it feels like a drift. Cuz ya know how when you go around a corner, you sort of "spring" back. So if you go around a right hand corner fast, you'll spring toward the passenger after you take the corner.

My Jeep doesn't really do that anymore. It just stays wherever it is. No springing back to center. As if the body shifts its position relative to the axles, then doesn't spring back. And it feels kind of like a drift because your body will get pushed out a little but not return to center.
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxastic View Post
I'll take a look at the wheels to see if one is dirtying up faster than another. But it definitely pulls to the right when I brake, which is why I thought I needed alignment work done. The harder I brake, the harder it pulls to the right. I can actually go around bends by braking.
It sounds like your left caliper is not working properly, or like the left brake hose has deteriorated on the inside and isn't allowing fluid to force the caliper to work.

It could be in the rear as well, but I would check the front first.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.