Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

brake pedal going to the floor!!

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dustem 
#1 ·
Hello, I need help on my 1994 grand cherokee. Back brake shoes have 2000 miles on them. Front pads about 1000 miles since replaced. New wheel cylinders and drums on the back and rotors on the front. I have inspected all brake lines and hoses for leaks. Brake fluid level is fine. Three out of five times the pedal will go to the floor real slow when stopping. Brake light comes on and it will start rolling! You can let off the brake and sometimes it will hold, sometimes it wont. Does the same thing in neutral. Vaccum is good to the booster. Dont know what the small round cylinder is that the brake lines go to out of the master cylinder. It also has two rubber lines. Thanks GB

#3 ·
Did you loose all the fluid when you changed the cylinders. If you lost the fluid in the master it needs to be bled. I would then go to the right rear and stick a tube on the blender screw. Stick the other end into a clear jar with brake fluid. Then pump the pedal and look for air bubbles. Repeat on left rear. Then right front then left front.

I use a mighty vacuum with the bleeder system they sell them at autozone or pepboys worth every penny. If no air and abs light is not on and if it goes to floor. Then you pump it up and had your foot on it and slowly goes down I would then say it is the master.

I am sure the emergency brake and the shoes are adjusted properly.

#4 ·
I have recently moved and could not find my tool that you pump to pull the air out of the lines. I did push a little fluid out of the front of the master cylinder when doing the front brakes so I added fluid as I bled them. I took my time bleeding both ends by pumping the pedal but maybe I need to use the bleeder to make sure all air is out. When using the vacuum tool I think I am suppose to push and hold the brake pedal in just about 1 to 2 inches? Is that correct? I will give it a try. If it is air I still dont understand why it took this long to be a problem. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, GB

#8 ·
Brake trouble

Bled the brakes with 'tool' and nothing changed. Took all three plugs (electrical)loose from brass fitting that brake lines go to and ABS motor. Drove Jeep and problem quit. Then I unplugged the long rectangle plug on a box mounted on the drivers inner fender. It is a brake control box. I guess I reset some kind of problem but it is O.K. for now. I have drove it about 200 miles with no brake issues. Thanks for all the input and help, GB:2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.