brake line replacement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > brake line replacement.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

brake line replacement.

Have a full set of stainless brake line replacements to fit, if i keep the reservoir cap on can i fit each one seperately and bleed without screwing anything up or just remove everything and do one full bleed at the end?

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Leaving the cap on will not keep air from getting in or prevent fluid loss, though it may help to slow it down. If it were me, I would replace one line at a time, bleed, and move on to the next. I would also be sure to refill the reservoir in between and be sure not to let it run dry. I think this will make for easier bleeding in the long run.

Where did you source your lines from? I need to order a set for my daughter's XJ.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Leaving the cap on will not keep air from getting in or prevent fluid loss, though it may help to slow it down. If it were me, I would replace one line at a time, bleed, and move on to the next. I would also be sure to refill the reservoir in between and be sure not to let it run dry. I think this will make for easier bleeding in the long run.

Where did you source your lines from? I need to order a set for my daughter's XJ.

-Joe
That was the procedure i was thinking of.

Picked them up off eBAY a while back cant remember the seller but just have a look, wasnt that expensive, about $50 all in i think shipped to the UK

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Do you have ABS you're connecting the new lines to? That's the part you don't want to get air in or you'll have to take it somewhere to have it bled out with a DRB scan tool.

I have bulk poly-coated roll line and need to replace all my lines too. Believe I'm going to try and find something to plug the ABS ports with so the fluid doesn't all run out and get air in the system. Even thought about just cutting/crimping the lines near the unit since I'm going to have to run new lines anyhow. But then I would have to find new metric fitting to go into the ABS ports. They do make an adapter so you can use the fitting which come on pre-made lines. I'm also going to keep the fluid reservoir filled and someone posted to put a piece of saran wrap under the cap to help seal it. Not sure if that works or not. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

yeah got the stock 9er (well untouched ABS). Was thinking about some kitchen wrap etc under the cap so it acted like in the same manner as a finger over the end of a straw to stop the juice coming out ........ if you know what i mean

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Good luck. Be sure to let us know how they fit.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
yeah got the stock 9er (well untouched ABS). Was thinking about some kitchen wrap etc under the cap so it acted like in the same manner as a finger over the end of a straw to stop the juice coming out ........ if you know what i mean
Yeah, Saran wrap which I mentioned for under the cap is just a brand of plastic kitchen wrap here. Regardless what it's called which side of the pond you're on we're on the same page as far a creating a liquid vacuum like a straw.

I've heard you don't necessarily get air in the ABS HCU (hydraulic control unit) by disconnecting the lines going to the different brake locations but it's the lines between the master cylinder and ABS you don't want to go dry/let air in.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.