Brake lamp problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake lamp problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
gregoryc.

Brake lamp problem

Hello all,
I have a 2000 GC and noticed a problem with the drivers side brake lamp. Lamp works fine normally but when I turn on the headlights and apply the brakes, the brake lamp (running light) goes out instead of illuminating brighter. The passenger side works fine, normally and with the headlights on. Any ideas on where to start looking.
Thanks

gregoryc. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

replace the bulb maybe!!!
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryc.
Hello all,
I have a 2000 GC and noticed a problem with the drivers side brake lamp. Lamp works fine normally but when I turn on the headlights and apply the brakes, the brake lamp (running light) goes out instead of illuminating brighter. The passenger side works fine, normally and with the headlights on. Any ideas on where to start looking.
Thanks

Is this something that just cropped up by itself, or has somebody been working on the rear of the Jeep lately? Say installing a hitch and wiring harness, perhaps?
If no one has done any work back there recently, then the next thing to check is the bulb itself. Make sure it is the right type and has no corrosion. Likewise, check the contacts in the socket for corrosion. Ensure the bulb is inserted correctly. It's difficult, but they can be put in backwards.

If all else fails, swap bulbs from left to right and see if the problem persists.

HTH
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
gregoryc.

Hello,
I swapped the bulb but the problem stayed with the drivers side. I did install, about a year ago, a wiring harness for a hitch. The harness is made by Draw-Tite and was a direct plug-in into the existing Jeep wiring with no cutting or soldering involved. One other thing I noticed last night, my third lamp (on top side of hatch) was burned out. I thought that would solve the problem but after I replaced it the problem was still there. I checked any wires leading to the lens assembly that I could and they seemed fine. I unplugged the D.T. trailer wiring harness and checked the lights but that didn't help.
Thanks
gregoryc. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

The lamp is a dual filament type. One ground two hot leads & one bulb. It sounds like the second hot (brake induced) goes to ground. I believe the brake switch is proving a high resistance to ground, instead of providing a 12 volt supply...or something along those lines. If you have a multimeter, then I would check this out. It is a mechanical part (something like a sliding cylinder) that provides the switching; when you step on the brake pedal.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.