Brake Fluid Leak? Come on! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Brake Fluid Leak? Come on!

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Brake Fluid Leak? Come on!

After being away for a week I came home and noticed some small drips under the WJ. (I was pretty concerned, because this thing never leaks anything) Went to look and it look liked transfer case fluid was sprayed underneath the rig. So I didn't think much of it at this point.

Then I went to drive the thing and had to step on the brakes fairly hard at one point, and noticed the brake light came on. I was immeadiately angry because the same thing had just happened about three months ago and I didn't think anything of it, just topped it off and kept going.

So now it looks like my brake line(s) are leaking, which is something I have never experienced before. I figured if it were brakes they would just all fail severely, maybe its just a loose fitting, but I need to check it out tomorrow.

Any one experience this? It might be a stealership job, we'll see and I'll fill you guys in tomorrow, meanwhile the WJ is parked. Man I hate stuff breaks/leaks.

Unread 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Turbonut

Didn't say where the leak or spot was located under the Jeep, but on our '01 the left rear brake line was pretty well rusted in a 2" area. Not rusted through, but quite corroded.

Maybe a leaking master cyl. and fluid is dripping down off the booster.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Could be a bad caliper. I'd probably pull the wheels off myself and see what it looks like and go from there.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Houdini
1984 CJ7 

Not a Grand Cherokee but my 01 Ram was leaking from my proportioning valve. I thought that was pretty rare and so did the dealer. It wasn't obvious unless you put your fingure under it. It was close enough to the master cylinder that I thought that was where it was coming from. Worth a look if you haven't found the leak yet.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Which part of the master cylinder did you have to top up; the section that goes to the front or the section that goes to the back brakes? That should help you narrow it down.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I did a quick check this morning and 99% of the drips are coming from the driverside rear control arm area. the lines don't look corroded at all, and I'm gonna tear into it later today. I'm definitely gonna check the master cylinder, but it looks as if the entire length of the brake line has fluid on it, but I would guess this is just from the thin consistency dripping downhill from whereever the leak is.

I'm gonna change the oil today too, At least that should go as I plan.
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The hard lines running on the A-arm in the back aren't that bad to replace, I bought mine from Kolak and I think they were like $20 or something. They run down into the breather vent block and then split to the left and right wheels from there. Can you see where it is leaking from exactly? It'll help if you clean the area with brake cleaner and then have someone hit the brakes so you can watch it leak.
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
georged
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM626 View Post
Which part of the master cylinder did you have to top up; the section that goes to the front or the section that goes to the back brakes? That should help you narrow it down.
On our Jeeps does the reservoir have two independent chambers? My 04 GCL has only one cover though. The reason I asked is that on a Dodge PU I had the reservoir had two covers and I assumed one went to the front and the other to the rear. When I had the reservoir off and was cleaning it, I found both covers went to one chamber.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
CrazyDrivinJoe
1994 ZJ 

i had a line rust out and just sprayed dot fluid everywhere when u hit the brake it was a 5 dollar 40 inch brake line fix jus keep hittin the brakes and find where the puddle is
CrazyDrivinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged View Post
On our Jeeps does the reservoir have two independent chambers? My 04 GCL has only one cover though. The reason I asked is that on a Dodge PU I had the reservoir had two covers and I assumed one went to the front and the other to the rear. When I had the reservoir off and was cleaning it, I found both covers went to one chamber.
Probably just internal baffeling you saw...
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your jeep is fairly new, after about 1970, then by law it must have a dual master cylinder. When these cylinders first came out they were huge hunks of cast iron hanging off the firewall and the front and rear portions of the reservoir were clearly separated. IMO it was in an effort to reduce weight and cut costs that domestic manufactures copied offshore manufactures by turning to aluminium master cylinders with a detachable plastic reservoir, with only one filler cap. The reservoir must still have a separate reservoir for each braking system. I have noted that the barrier need not be from the bottom of the reservoir to the top, but rather they are lower in the reservoir to allow filling through a common filler cap, where after one portion is filled, the brake fluid spills over the "dam" and into the other one. Oddly enough not all master cylinders are separated front brakes/rear brakes. Some are one side front, opposite side rear/ other side front/other side rear. There are probably other variations as well.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
georged
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Probably just internal baffeling you saw...
On my Dodge the reservoir was one chamber. If you looked in through from the side or put a heavy wire through there was no baffeling in the way.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I mashed the pedal with one foot, while stretching to look and can see that its dumping out of the lowest brake line right above the rear rontrol arm. Right where it bends up to ascend to the rear suspension there is a plastic clip and its now gushing out from there. (It also looks like the transfer case has minor leak, can't tell from where but there is some red fluid along its seam, but that's minor and I don't mind for now).

So tomorrow I'll be getting my line fixed, the fluid changed, and the lines rebled because the pedal's getting spongy now, because I think it sucked up some air.

At least the oil change went well.
Unread 02-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr View Post

At least the oil change went well.

Nice

At least it was just a brake line and not a caliper
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I am confused (a pic would help), are you referring to this part:

Body-->A-arm:

Or this part, A-arm-->Axle:

If it is the second one, is it leaking at the block?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.