bought a ZJ- questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > bought a ZJ- questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
EvilVOG
1998 ZJ 

bought a ZJ- questions

Bought a 98 ZJ limited on Tuesday, 110k, 5.2. Basically to use as a DD/ winter beater so i could get my Challenger off the road before it gets too nasty. Here's what I know about the car:
Original owners towed it behind a camper, and took excellent care of it, and left record of it in the notes section of the manual. They fed it synthetic, swapped the wheels and put new shocks under it in '04, must have sold it not long after. The son of the people I bought it from owned it after that, and he lived in Arizona or something, and he sold it to his parents where it became his Mother's daily driver.

Truck is Immaculate inside and out. Leather is perfect, body is in great shape. Drives straight, K&N intake, Pioneer radio (no lockpick however), fairly new battery, remote start.

Haven't been able to really get under it since I work so much. Drove it back and forth to work twice already (40 mile highway trip each way). Oil pressure good, temp good. Here's what i've come up with to check more into, I know some of this is in the stickies i just have to find it.

Had to top off the ATF and power steering fluid, neither were severely low, but the atf was getting close.
Driver door hangs, but just a little.
Heat worked great on the test drive, and it does get sort of warm now, but it doesn't get hot. (again car runs at 210 right on the money)
throttle will surge 200 rpm while under cruise control. saw something about cleaning the IAT i will try that when i get a day off.
Seat heater seems to not work
There is a "clack" noise when I'm under braking coming from behind the driver's side dashboard kind of high up (not necessarily in the dashboard). Not a loud noise just strange.
Don't expect i'll ever need this tow rig in the front bumper, can it be removed?
I have a fog light switch, but cannot locate any fog lights.

Any help would be appreciated, mostly just introducing myself.

EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

That's a good looking zj. The tow bar up front should be able to be removed. Its probably bolted up behind the front bumper cover. With the cover off you should be able to see any wiring for front fog lights. I thought all limiteds came with them, could be wrong about that though.
My seat heater quit working on me and ended up being a broken wire under the seat
I'd try flushing the heater core and see if that helps the heat. Worked on mine when I got it this past winter
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Brendan4862
1998 ZJ 

A neat thing I do is send your vin to Chrysler. (Either input the VIN on their website or email them.) And ask for your build sheet. They will send it to you so you know exactly what went in that jeep at the factory. Also, welcome to the forum! Make sure you read the FAQ section and read up on the stickies under ZJ. There is a wealth of info on this site, and everyone will be willing to help. You already listed some common problems. (Lukewarm heat at operating temp) Do a search first though before posting about it. Pretty much every topic has been covered more than twice. Once again welcome and good luck. She's a beauty!
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Muzramp
1997 ZJ 

The fog light switch should be in the same panel as the headlights, it's a little square button.
the tow hooks? yeah just unbolt them.
Muzramp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
...Truck is Immaculate inside and out. ...
as i was told by someone here in one of my very first posts, it's not a truck, it's a jeep

looking good and sounds like a very good vehicle. i also have the issue of the heat, have yet to dig into it - so good luck with that and keep us posted, oh and yeah, welcome to the forum
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
cj92345
1998 ZJ 

tow bracket for sale??
cj92345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Driving lights should be located low in the front bumper. Zip ties work for removing the radio by the way.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
EvilVOG
1998 ZJ 

If I can get that bracket off, it will be for sale or trade.

Yeah I know about the stickies and searching, this post was mainly to say hi and for the less common questions i had. But as long as I was mentioning those I figured I would just list everything.

Hopefully it's nice Sunday for me to get into it more. My only day off. These JK's won't build themselves.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Congrats on the real nice ZJ buy and welcome to the forum!

Below is the thread/link for cleaning the IAC and just don't twist/pull on the pintel. It's best to just remove the whole throttle body and clean it too. Every time you disconnect a sensor, like the IAC, disconnect the neg battery cable 1st.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...4/#post7047001

Get an antifreeze tester and make sure they have about 50/50 mix in the rad (around -25 to -30 F) since with too much antifreeze you may not be getting any heat. But in running 210 it should be fine.

When back-flushing the heater core remove the hoses toward the front of the engine rather than removing them from the core at the firewall which can cause damage to the tubes or solder joints.

For you sagging driver's side door here's the fix with part numbers from the FAQ's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3295899

Since the trans and power steering units don't use fluid you should check for leaks. The o-ring between the PSP and reservoir is a common leak place. On the trans check to see if the pans leaking and make sure it isn't coming out of the front bell housing.

While you're lucky you don't have any major problem there's a whole lot of useful info in ZeeJay's dirty dozen thread in my signature.

While it may not be politically correct to call a Jeep/ZJ a 'truck' it's a whole lot better than calling it a 'car'.

Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

i got stuck at "winter beater"
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
EvilVOG
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Uni. lots of stuff to check out. Haven't seen any leaks. There was some oil on the day i brought it home, but i think it was actually left over from a neighbor's car. Haven't seen a drop now that i've been parking in my own driveway instead of the street.

Jeep is a brand name, which is why I don't just call it a Jeep.

The winter beater thing... it's because i drive this when it's warm:
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the tow brackets were installed through the holes that the fog lights would be mounted in. I suspect the lamps were removed so the brackets could be installed. You should be able to reverse the process.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
It's hard to tell, but it looks like the tow brackets were installed through the holes that the fog lights would be mounted in. I suspect the lamps were removed so the brackets could be installed. You should be able to reverse the process.
I think those go in place of the tow hooks if you zoom the page you can see the tow brackets are not in place of the fogs.
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That tow apparatus is useless without the other part that it attaches to each side from the vehicle pulling it. It's not designed as a recovery point that gets yanked on either. It's only for towing.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I wasnt suggesting they were to be used as a recovery point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.