Bought a new ZJ. 5.2 & NP249 questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bought a new ZJ. 5.2 & NP249 questions.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Bought a new ZJ. 5.2 & NP249 questions.

Since a couple structural cracks developed on my jeep, and my timing belt snapped on my daily driver Saturday night, I needed to get a new DD and wheeling rig ASAP. I had the cracks welded for a temp fix so I can DD the jeep until I found something new.

Happened to stumble on a good deal on another ZJ on craigslist last night. My jeep not surprisingly made the 200 mile round trip to Vermont to look at it today. And needless to say I bought it for $700.

It's a 98 ZJ with the 5.2, 198k miles. NP249 t-case. Body looks PERFECT minus the hatch being black on a silver jeep. It also came with a Rough Country 4.5" lift installed and I was surprised to see it's not a hack job. Has all adjustable control arms, RC shocks, and all that jazz. He told me he only put about 2000 miles on it since installing the lift, and never took it off road since he started getting driveshaft vibrations after putting the lift in and he pulled the front shaft. Makes sense since it had the CV style shaft which doesn't have quite as much telescoping abilities as the U joint style. You can tell looking at the jeep that it's never seen a trail.

Anyway I've never owned a 5.2 before so I'm not too keen on them. It's got a couple issues I need to take care of. The seller told me when it's cold it runs great but when it warms up it has no power and sputters and told me it's because the cat is clogged. It does have a P0420 code (cat below efficiency), as well as P0442 (evap leak) and a random, as well as 3 cylinder misfires. Does it sound more likely that it's the cat, or that it's the notorious plenum gasket leak? I'm thinking the latter, but that there may also be an issue with the cat or an O2 sensor.

Since he said he put 2000ish miles on it with no front shaft, does that mean the viscous coupler is shot? I plan on swapping the 249 out for a 242 anyways. My brother has a spare one out of a '97 kicking around.

Does the 5.2 & 44RE set the transfer case back further? Curious if after swapping in a 242 if the front shaft & pinion yoke out of my '95 4.0 NP231 would work in it.

Oh, since this thread is worthless without pics...

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

a 98 5.2 doesnt have the 46rh, it has the 44re. if the viscous coupler was fine before he pulled the shaft, it should still be ok. you only need to worry about that on the 93-95 np249. the u joint yoke will work for sure, but im not sure on the driveshaft. someone else will have to chime in on that
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
a 98 5.2 doesnt have the 46rh, it has the 44re. if the viscous coupler was fine before he pulled the shaft, it should still be ok. you only need to worry about that on the 93-95 np249. the u joint yoke will work for sure, but im not sure on the driveshaft. someone else will have to chime in on that
Thanks. Sorry I screwed that up, like I said I don't know much about these! I'm used to the 4.0. Any idea about the cat or plenum?
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

first id throw a set of plugs and wires in, along with a new cap and rotor. i dont think a leaking plenum would cause 3 cylinder misfires, but i could be wrong.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Fix all the stuff you know is broken and then go from there. You are going to need a double cardon U joint front shaft and yoke to go with it. Measure the shaft and try to find one that is a close match. I would take care of the cat first of all and then probably get two new 02 sensors to go with the new one.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Fix all the stuff you know is broken and then go from there. You are going to need a double cardon U joint front shaft and yoke to go with it. Measure the shaft and try to find one that is a close match. I would take care of the cat first of all and then probably get two new 02 sensors to go with the new one.
Well I don't know whether the cat is junk or not. I have the double cardan/u-joint style shaft on my 95 so I'm planning on taking that & the pinion yoke and swapping them into this.

Regardless, I can get all the parts I may need online for something like $220. Cat, muffler, tailpipe, and plenum gasket.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

$2,500 obo and you got it for $700? I bet car dealers hate you. Good job and use that $1,800 left over to buy goodies.
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
$2,500 obo and you got it for $700? I bet car dealers hate you. Good job and use that $1,800 left over to buy goodies.
Car dealers hate me because I don't shop there Bunch of crooks!

I don't really have $1800 left over... went there with $1000 in my pocket. I looked it over real close and pointed out some things he didn't know about and told him "based on all that stuff I have to do I can't go much higher than $700" and he barely hesitated at that. Plus he had come down on price since the pics.

As it is I'm broke until I can sell my car. It already has the skids from the Up Country package. Already lifted & done right. As far as goodies go, I'm going to get a set of JCR sliders and some quick discos for the front sway. I'll be taking the ARB bumper off the ZJ I have now. Then I should be pretty good...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.