Bought a new Jeep, few problems. Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bought a new Jeep, few problems. Need Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
95GrndChrkLmtd
1995 ZJ 

Bought a new Jeep, few problems. Need Help!

So I bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 180,000k. 4.0L 2 days ago for 1000$, and I did a full tune up on it (plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter/air filter/oil change) and I'm still having a few problems. My oil pressure gauge is all over the place. My temperature gauge is fine, except everytime i hit the gas it drops right down to 0, soon as I let off it goes bback up instantly. My infinity gold CD player in it is a little mixed up, I hit 1 button and sometimes it does the right function, or instead does the function of the button right below it. And also it idles at 500 RPM, but it idles fine when im driving, other than when I'm stopped at lights and stuff it idles rough. Any ideas guys? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm Riley, and I'm new to the forum.

Thanks

95GrndChrkLmtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

New sending unit for the gauge, new stereo, temp gauge sounds like an electrical problem someplace maybe just the sensor, the idle is probably a dirty IAC maybe a failing TPS. Wouldnt hurt to replace em both. 180K and 17 years is a long time for anything.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think it's normal for the oil pressure gauge to rise and fall a bit with engine speed especially after start up it will be lower. Mine fluctuates between 35 and 50 or so.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Yes it will fluctuate some but not from 0-30 + lbs. It should never fall to 0 unless you have a problem.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

I'd say replace the oil pressure sender, and the temp gauge sender. Since its a 95 the temp gauge sender is located on the *** end of the block, under the wiring from the injectors with about 5mm of space to play with. (You get two senders with the 93-95 zj's, one is in the water outlet tube where the thermostat is, and is for the computer. The other is right in front of the firewall towards the back of the block. Removal is easy if you have a 1/4 ratchet and the right socket break off plastic bit and unscrew the copper plug, but installation is a PITA.)

Normal range for the oil sender I'd say is 40-70 when cold, then 20-45 when warm. It will climb when you hit the gas, and fall when you idle. If its all over the place replacement is a 5 minute procedure, the oil pressure sender costs about 30 from NAPA or 15 bucks from rockauto.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
infinity gold , oil pressure , rough idle , temperature gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.