Bought My First Jeep - Wat should I add - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bought My First Jeep - Wat should I add

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-12-2002, 07:48 AM   #1
marley1

Bought My First Jeep - Wat should I add

Hi guys, 1st post here. I just bought a '94 Grand Cherokee w/ the 6cyl. Hella clean truck and good for my first car. Now its a decent speed car but acceleration kinda suxs. Wat could I add to this that would gain some horsepower for some better acceleration. Keep in mind im a high school student and still need a stereo. My tech teach told me i should get a superchip and better exausht. I really just wanna be able to beat some kids V8 Jeep in acceleration.

Thanks alot.

marley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2002, 09:03 AM   #2
Big Dumb White Guy

are you going to go off-road with it? if so TOW_HOOKS front and rear ASAP!!

other mods.
1.) e-mail strider@xjoffroad.com and ask about getting your Throttle body bored out and a TB spacer. you could do those 2 for under $125.00. also check here -intake cheap! for a "homemade" K&N intake. i did these and it works nice.

2.) exhaust is another thing to have done. easy (more) air in + easy (more) air out = more H.P.

3.) i have a Crane Cams Fireball ignition waiting to be installed. i found a coil and ignition box from summit racing, for $150. normally the box alone is $175.

4.) stay away from the "chip" unless you have BIG $$$$. maybe look into the Mopar Performance 'puter. not sure who sells them, but i am sure someone here knows.

i'll tell you now, the stereo won't make you any faster..... . go for the speed stuff first, then the looks....

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
marley1

What kind of exauhst would u reccomend?

Also i would like to stay away from the chip because i would have to use better fuel.

Anything else that i could use. How much does intake and exausht usualy give horsepower?
Unread 02-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #4
Neil

Headers!
Unread 02-12-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
marley1

well i think im gonna get a gibson exausht and k&n air filter. according to the specs it says 20hp and 7hp gain accordingly. so ill be very close to the hp on the v8.

anything else that i could do cheaply. new radiator fan or anything. i really dont know bout this stuff but i do wanna beat the kids v8
Unread 02-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #6
WharfRat123

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil:
Headers!
Ditto. That and some sort of cold air induction kit should be your first mods.

Replacement ECU after that, or a good chip (not JET) if an ECU is not available for your ZJ.

I would still go higher rather than faster if I were you

Unread 02-13-2002, 07:43 AM   #7
marley1

do you happen to have a link to the induction?

im only like 5hp away from the v8s hp.

stock 6cyl is 190hp with a gibson exauhst it says like 15-20hp and hten filter says like 5-7hp gains. So im only a little bit away from hte v8s 220 hp specs.

Also I'm planning on getting a stereo system. Som kid offered me a 12" JL sub and a amp that he had in his Ranger. Do you think that would be enough to create some good sound in hte GC. I dont want a system that would be like heard around the block but i want it to hit hella hard. Also keep in mind im a high school student. Or maybe i should just get a deck and replace factory speakers.

Thanks
Unread 02-13-2002, 08:07 PM   #8
titancc

I have a 95 GC with a 4.0L a Gibson Exhaust and K=N filter. They were good add ons, but I doubt it would really give you 22-27 horse power. Before I had these two additions I couldn't chirp my tires, and now I can, so there must be some difference, but there is no way it is as fast as a v8 yet. The big plus side ofr me was better gas milage, probably at least 2mpg. Rosser jeep sells a air filter tube called a Rock-It hi flow air tube that you could combine with a k+N air filter and would probably give you more hp than just a drop in air filter. Has anyone else used one of these?
One thing with the Gibson exhaust, if you are looking for a more aggresive sounding miffler this probably is not it. It is pretty close to stock, and I am no thrilled with the sound. I think I was sent the wrong part, had to have a muffler shop bend the pipe, weld two new brackets, and square out a section of the tube. I do not think this was Gibson's fault, I will never order from Desert Rat again though. The bow was open, no included installation accesories included, and awful customer support. Stick with Rosser Jeep in my opinion, www.thinkjeep.com. I have only had good luck with them.
Also, 1 12 in a ported bow with a big enough amp will be really loud in a Grand Cherokee, the sound difference between that and a ranger is huge. GC's are one of the loudest vehicles I have every heard a system in, besides small hatchback cars.
Any other ?'s just ask. I also know about being a poor hs student, I am one too.
Good luck, John
titancc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:37 AM   #9
marley1

k, well just looked at the site that stuff is gettin kinda expensive. i really dont want hte exausht to sound like a ricer but sound a little bit louder. Do u suggest the borla one then. it has some strange tip on it but if it will give abetter more performance it will be good.

anything else you can think of that will add performance but isn't so much. all i really want is to beat the v8 in acceleration.

bout the stereo would i have to replace the factory 6.5 or could i ues them still and just have them go off a new deck with hte amp powering the sub.

thanks alot
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:48 AM   #10
marley1

also im not finding that intake you were talking about it looks like its only for hte newer ones unless im reading it wrong.
Unread 02-14-2002, 03:40 PM   #11
titancc

I have never heard the borla exhaust, but it is at least $100 more than the Gibson. Don't get me wrong on the Gibson, it sounds good, but it is not that much louder than stock. My girlfriends uncle owns a muffler shop and he did not recommend the Borla, he did not like the sound on a 4.0L. Start with the air filter, then the exhaust, then headers if you have the $. I don't know about beating a V8 still, I think it will take more than just a exhaust and filter, they seemed quite a bit faster to me when I drove one, but I like the select trac over Quadratrac.
If you have the stock Infinity soundsystem you can just add a new deck, it will actually sound quite a bit better. Start with a new deck, then sub and amp, and wait on the new door speakers until they blow or you have more $. Good luck,

John
titancc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #12
marley1

Well I have the stock sound system. I was just in my car before listening to a rap radio station and it sound pretty good for stock speakers. If i got a new sub and amp and deck could i run the standard speakers off the deck and then the sub powered by the amp till i get more money?

Now it looks like with the exausht and air filter i may get at max 20hp add. I think that will be enough for me. screw the v8 im never gonna race it so i rather just have it allite faster and have it sound a little better. It would cost a little more to get it up to those specs.

If you know any other cheap things that increase perfornace that would be good.

oooo has anyone tried this http://jeepsunlimited.com/zj/kandnold/knold.htm look kinda cool but i really dont know

thanks
Unread 02-17-2002, 01:34 PM   #13
Big Dumb White Guy

yep. works fine.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Unread 02-17-2002, 11:45 PM   #14
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't just add up manufacturer claimed horsepower improvements. The K&N might add 7 hp, but at what rpm? 5000rpm? Where's peak power for the 4.0? 4600rpm, afterwhich it tapers off. So peak power might be unaffected, or even less than stock. Same goes for the exhaust. Maybe it makes 20 extra hp at 2500 rpm, but at higher rpms it chokes (I'm not saying it does!), resulting in less than 190 hp.

I'm not saying they're worthless mods. I believe that they're important in increasing power and fuel efficiency. I'm just saying that you can't add what the manufacturer claims, unless you've got dyno graphs of all the mods done together to back it up.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2002, 11:31 AM   #15
Big Dumb White Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by horatio102:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't just add up manufacturer claimed horsepower improvements. The K&N might add 7 hp, but at what rpm? 5000rpm? Where's peak power for the 4.0? 4600rpm, afterwhich it tapers off. So peak power might be unaffected, or even less than stock. Same goes for the exhaust. Maybe it makes 20 extra hp at 2500 rpm, but at higher rpms it chokes (I'm not saying it does!), resulting in less than 190 hp.

I'm not saying they're worthless mods. I believe that they're important in increasing power and fuel efficiency. I'm just saying that you can't add what the manufacturer claims, unless you've got dyno graphs of all the mods done together to back it up.
TRUE!
take the low end of the claim - divide by 2 and then you might be close.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.