Bought Grand Cherokee. Have a few problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bought Grand Cherokee. Have a few problems.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-25-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
rollerbones

Bought Grand Cherokee. Have a few problems.

I just got my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI. I have a few problems I need help with. One is the drives heater for the seat dont work...Is there a way to replace? Also the drives door bottom Hinge pin seems bad. I open the door and it drops. Can I replace the pin easy or is there a place that sells the whole hinge?

Thanks for the help
Tom

rollerbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2003, 09:18 PM   #2
Stocker

Welcome to the board & congrats on your new Jeep! Can't help with the seats, but I have replaced my lower hinge pin (actually it's the bushings that are worn; you'll need two bushings and a new pin). Anyhoo, best if I refer you to this JU thread:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ght=hinge+pins

Good luck!
Unread 12-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #3
rollerbones

Thanks. I will check it out.

Also one more thing. I notice my idle is around 450rpm seems kind of low but is running fine. Normal? and My Volt meter does not show a chage higher then 14volts Normal also?

Thanks for the help again.

Tom
Unread 12-25-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
Stocker

450 is too low (if your tach is accurate); not sure what it sould be but I think around 700. Probably ought to be charging at about 14 1/2 volts, but is likely OK - I wouldn't trust the oem gauges to be terribly accurate!
Unread 12-26-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

There is an Idle screw on the passenger side of your throttle body..
IT may be under a small cap.. Its a torq driver screw.
Here is a pic of how it loooks..

Hope that helps..

Carl
Unread 12-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
rollerbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
There is an Idle screw on the passenger side of your throttle body..
IT may be under a small cap.. Its a torq driver screw.
Here is a pic of how it loooks..

Hope that helps..

Carl
You think if I just turn that out a bit it would fix the low idle? Or is there some type of sensor that would need chaged also?

Thanks for the help
Tom
Unread 12-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #7
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

YOu could check your TPS.(drivers side of carb) There are writeups on how to check it..
But just turning the screw might do what you need..
It worked for me...
Unread 12-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
rollerbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Boy
YOu could check your TPS.(drivers side of carb) There are writeups on how to check it..
But just turning the screw might do what you need..
It worked for me...

I see the area where the screw should be. there is a silver looking solid piece in there. Does that pop out to show the screw?

Thanks
Tom.
Unread 12-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #9
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

heated seat problem

This doesn't concern the idle but i think i can help u with ur heated seats. My Zj limited also has that problem and its because the wires in the seats that heat up tend to break in time, a little defect thats common on the heated seats. So Jeep offers a repair kit that i think is like $15? Anyways, the kit contains wires that have to be installed into the seats by taking apart the seat upholstery. Now, unless ur a professional seat upholster, i recommend u take ur jeep to someone that can install the wires for u and patch ur seat back up. I haven't done it yet to my jeep, but by what i have heard and read on this forum, thats what u gotta do to fix that problem. Hope that I helped. Good Luck
Unread 12-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #10
RockPaws

If your idle is actually low or maybe your tach reads low. These can be a problem with either the idle air (sensor) motor or the throttle position sensor. You may be able to clean the idle air sensor with fuel injection cleaner spray. Personally I would not try and adjust the idle screw. Idle is controled by the idle air sensor, thru the PCM.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]

Last edited by RockPaws; 12-30-2003 at 02:43 AM..
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2003, 06:05 AM   #11
rollerbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPaws
If your idle is actually low or maybe your tach reads low. These can be a problem with either the idle air (sensor) motor or the throttle position sensor. You may be able to clean the idle air sensor with fuel injection cleaner spray. Personally I would not try and adjust the idle screw. Idle is controled by the idle air sensor.
I have replaced the IAS and today I mite try replacing the TPS. They ar eonly $32 each. Could not hurt I guess.

Thanks
Tom
Unread 12-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #12
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Roller bones.. If need be.. THe silver cap does come off..
Just pop it out of there..

I changed my IAS and TPS to no avail. Popped out the cap and idled her up a bit.. Im all set..
Unread 12-30-2003, 02:40 AM   #13
RockPaws

Have you checked for any error codes?

The idle screw that people are refering to is actually a set screw used to mechanically limit the position of the throttle body plate. This is factory setting. All idle speed functions are controlled by the PCM. By changing or adjusting this screw, you are also changing the output voltage of the TPS at idle. Thus increasing idle speed of the engine, and possibly creating a lean condition.
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 12-30-2003, 06:18 AM   #14
rollerbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPaws
Have you checked for any error codes?

The idle screw that people are refering to is actually a set screw used to mechanically limit the position of the throttle body plate. This is factory setting. All idle speed functions are controlled by the PCM. By changing or adjusting this screw, you are also changing the output voltage of the TPS at idle. Thus increasing idle speed of the engine, and possibly creating a lean condition.
I am going to change the TPS sensore this week , if that does not do it what else can I try besides adjusting? What else mite cause the low idle? It is not throwing a CEL but does it always if a sensore is bad?
Unread 12-30-2003, 09:12 PM   #15
RockPaws

If its neither the IAC or TPS, I would take it some where and have the computer checked. I do not like throwing parts at a problem to see what fixes it. (we call it "Shotgun Maintenance").

Here is what the PCM looks at idle mode, at operating temp (closed loop). Inputs to the PCM:
1) A/C select signal
2) A/C request signal
3) Battery voltage
4) Crankshaft position sensor
5) Eng coolant temp sensor
6) Intake manifold air temp sensor
7) Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
8) TPS - throttle pos sensor
9) Camshaft position sensor (is distributor)
10) Park/neutral switch
11) O2 sensors
Based on these inputs - voltage is applied to the fuel injectors with the ASD relay via the PCM. The PCM wil them control injection sequence and injector pulse width by turning on and off voltage to each injector, thru its ground circuit.

The PCM monitors the O2 sensorsinput and adjusts air fuel ratio by injector pulse width. It also adjs eng idle speed thru the idle air control (IAC motor).
The PCM also adjs ignition timing by inc or dec spark advance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.