Bought 95' Orvis, info? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bought 95' Orvis, info?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
OrvisOwner

Bought 95' Orvis, info?

I just bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition off of EBAY last night. I'm pretty excited. It only has 74,000 miles on it, and it looks almost new. Best thing is, it only set me back $7000.

Does anybody have the detailed specifications of this vehicle. I pretty much know all the basics, but I haven't found anything real detailed on the vehicle yet.

Does anybody else own a 95' Orvis, or does anybody know much about them. I'm pretty excited to test it out. If anybody knows much about them, feel to let me know. I'm interested as to what everybody's opinion is.

OrvisOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

What kind of specifications are you looking for? You can take the Vin number to the dealer and they will give you a list of every option and spec the vehicle had on it when it was manufactured for free!!
Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
thunderchooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
RockPaws

While you at the dealer, get all the maintenance records. That will tell you what has been done by the dealer. Then you can start all the preventive maintenance out right.
To learn more about it, get your self a factory service manual. Great way to learn about how it works and fix it.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 08:50 AM   #4
OrvisOwner

I may do that. I hope it doesn't need much maitnance work. The vehicle looks to be in tip-top shape. It was always garaged and looks flawless all around. It also looks like it hasn't been off-roading either.

I'm concerned about the timing belt. When are they usually replaced? 60K, 75K, or 100K? I hope it is either 60 or 100, I'd hate to have to blow a grand here in the next year to get a new one in.
Unread 08-28-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

DOOD! Run to the store and buy at least a cheap Haynes manual on Grand Cherokees and read! There is no timing belt at all....

That engine has a timing chain, not a belt, and there is no maintenance or replacement schedule on a timing chain. Maybe someday when the engine is well over 100,000 miles AND IF the engine gradually begins to run roughly or poorly, then perhaps the timing chain may be stretched and causing that. But at that time you'd go through some steps to determine what the problem is, since it could be injectors, throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, etc.

It's pretty easy to determine how much slack there is in the timing chain so it's easy to diagnose. And it's more likely to be an issue at closer to 200,000 miles if you're treating the vehicle right.

I would definitely recommend that you keep a little savings aside in case of a problem. You can assume that the air conditioner evaporator core will spring a leak very soon if it hasn't already been replaced. And you can assume that will be about a $1000 repair, so keep some money ready for unexpected repairs just in case.

Don't say I didn't warn ya....
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L

Last edited by Intrepidjeep; 08-28-2003 at 12:24 PM..
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
OrvisOwner

I'm glad to hear it runs on a chain, that is good. I sure hope I don't have any 1000 dollar repairs coming up, that wouldn't be nice. I know for sure that I do have to replace a CV Boot, but I think that will only cost 100 bucks or so including the labor.
Unread 08-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
madmanfrommars

My timing chain is fine at 194,500 miles

[URL=http://staff.filesnetwork.com/madman/CIMG1846.JPG]Illuminating the Night[/URL]

As far as I know, I'm the only person to own a flame red liberty with the light bar, and until someone disproves that to me, I'm going to enjoy it.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.