The bottom part of the PCV fell into the valve cover... - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 656
The bottom part of the PCV fell into the valve cover...

I was removing the PCV when it kept breaking apart and eventually the round bottom portion of the valve fell into the engine. Is there anything keeping it from falling farther. Do I have to take off the valve cover now and fish it out? Any opinions anybody? This has NOT been my day!

StPaul59 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,407
Looks like you will be removing the valve cover. May as well replace the gasket.
PolkaPower is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Looks like you will be removing the valve cover. May as well replace the gasket.


Any tips on getting the valve cover off?? It wont clear the AC line.
StPaul59 is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,407
I found a leak in my ac line when I did my plenum gasket so I unhooked it then. I did the valve covers later but I had the ac lines unhooked by that point. I'm unsure if you can wiggle it out without taking it apart. If anything I would unbolt the compressor with the ac lines intact and see if you can gently shift it out of the way without bending anything too much but that is just a guess. I would google search "ZJ valve cover removal jeep forum".


In fact here is a thread. Yardman Harry did what I was thinking. You just have to be careful because bending the hose can cause a leak where they are crimped. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...askets-806604/
PolkaPower is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I found a leak in my ac line when I did my plenum gasket so I unhooked it then. I did the valve covers later but I had the ac lines unhooked by that point. I'm unsure if you can wiggle it out without taking it apart. If anything I would unbolt the compressor with the ac lines intact and see if you can gently shift it out of the way without bending anything too much but that is just a guess. I would google search "ZJ valve cover removal jeep forum".


In fact here is a thread. Yardman Harry did what I was thinking. You just have to be careful because bending the hose can cause a leak where they are crimped. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...askets-806604/
The compressor is loose. Only the AC line is stopping me. In that link it looks like there is something that would catch the broken PCV part to keep it from doing any damage... But Im already this far. Maybe a real hard tug would get this thing off. What a PITA!
StPaul59 is online now  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
The compressor is loose. Only the AC line is stopping me. In that link it looks like there is something that would catch the broken PCV part to keep it from doing any damage... But Im already this far. Maybe a real hard tug would get this thing off. What a PITA!
There is a bulkhead right under the top of the valve cover but I wouldn't take a chance leaving pieces in there.
PolkaPower is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 2,952
lift the driver hard side up push that way to then it'll clear the radiator hose. Then lift up on the front. disconnect the accelerator cable from the back of the engine bay and push it behind the valve cover. Then it's lifting and wiggling. Id suggest the felpro gasket it's 30$ but reusable and has torque stops. very worth it. Whatever you do don't get cork.
xrunndonex is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 2,952
and it didn't fall into the valves there's a filter like thing inside blocking it. don't put the pcv,boot on till after the covers back on. It'll just get in the way.
xrunndonex is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
and it didn't fall into the valves there's a filter like thing inside blocking it. don't put the pcv,boot on till after the covers back on. It'll just get in the way.
I got it off! I cant get that piece out of there at all. I dont think there is any chance of it coming out of there. The parts store by me has the felpro gaskets as well.

Some dirt fell in the valve area, Ill try to get as much out as possible but would the oil filter protect me as far as that goes?
StPaul59 is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

I got it off! I cant get that piece out of there at all. I dont think there is any chance of it coming out of there. The parts store by me has the felpro gaskets as well.

Some dirt fell in the valve area, Ill try to get as much out as possible but would the oil filter protect me as far as that goes?
Yea it should mostly just oily dirt you should be fine as long as it wasn't metal. are you talking about the grommet or that stem? I,just replaced my stem couldn't get the grommet out but it still almost eliminated my rough idle. Id but the gasket on the block then put the cover on. Saves you from scratching the **** out of it when dealing with putting the cover back on.
xrunndonex is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Yea it should mostly just oily dirt you should be fine as long as it wasn't metal. are you talking about the grommet or that stem? I,just replaced my stem couldn't get the grommet out but it still almost eliminated my rough idle. Id but the gasket on the block then put the cover on. Saves you from scratching the **** out of it when dealing with putting the cover back on.
Yeah just oily dirt and sand. I vaccumed it out but some might have fallen down inside there as I pulled off the valve cover. Next time I will clean that before I do the job. Grommet? You mean PCV valve? I tried to get the new one on there but it was a little too big. Might have to go the dealer route for that.
StPaul59 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome