The bottom part of the PCV fell into the valve cover... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The bottom part of the PCV fell into the valve cover...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

The bottom part of the PCV fell into the valve cover...

I was removing the PCV when it kept breaking apart and eventually the round bottom portion of the valve fell into the engine. Is there anything keeping it from falling farther. Do I have to take off the valve cover now and fish it out? Any opinions anybody? This has NOT been my day!

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Looks like you will be removing the valve cover. May as well replace the gasket.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Looks like you will be removing the valve cover. May as well replace the gasket.

Any tips on getting the valve cover off?? It wont clear the AC line.
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I found a leak in my ac line when I did my plenum gasket so I unhooked it then. I did the valve covers later but I had the ac lines unhooked by that point. I'm unsure if you can wiggle it out without taking it apart. If anything I would unbolt the compressor with the ac lines intact and see if you can gently shift it out of the way without bending anything too much but that is just a guess. I would google search "ZJ valve cover removal jeep forum".

In fact here is a thread. Yardman Harry did what I was thinking. You just have to be careful because bending the hose can cause a leak where they are crimped. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...askets-806604/
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I found a leak in my ac line when I did my plenum gasket so I unhooked it then. I did the valve covers later but I had the ac lines unhooked by that point. I'm unsure if you can wiggle it out without taking it apart. If anything I would unbolt the compressor with the ac lines intact and see if you can gently shift it out of the way without bending anything too much but that is just a guess. I would google search "ZJ valve cover removal jeep forum".

In fact here is a thread. Yardman Harry did what I was thinking. You just have to be careful because bending the hose can cause a leak where they are crimped. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...askets-806604/
The compressor is loose. Only the AC line is stopping me. In that link it looks like there is something that would catch the broken PCV part to keep it from doing any damage... But Im already this far. Maybe a real hard tug would get this thing off. What a PITA!
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
The compressor is loose. Only the AC line is stopping me. In that link it looks like there is something that would catch the broken PCV part to keep it from doing any damage... But Im already this far. Maybe a real hard tug would get this thing off. What a PITA!
There is a bulkhead right under the top of the valve cover but I wouldn't take a chance leaving pieces in there.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

lift the driver hard side up push that way to then it'll clear the radiator hose. Then lift up on the front. disconnect the accelerator cable from the back of the engine bay and push it behind the valve cover. Then it's lifting and wiggling. Id suggest the felpro gasket it's 30$ but reusable and has torque stops. very worth it. Whatever you do don't get cork.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

and it didn't fall into the valves there's a filter like thing inside blocking it. don't put the pcv,boot on till after the covers back on. It'll just get in the way.
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
and it didn't fall into the valves there's a filter like thing inside blocking it. don't put the pcv,boot on till after the covers back on. It'll just get in the way.
I got it off! I cant get that piece out of there at all. I dont think there is any chance of it coming out of there. The parts store by me has the felpro gaskets as well.

Some dirt fell in the valve area, Ill try to get as much out as possible but would the oil filter protect me as far as that goes?
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

I got it off! I cant get that piece out of there at all. I dont think there is any chance of it coming out of there. The parts store by me has the felpro gaskets as well.

Some dirt fell in the valve area, Ill try to get as much out as possible but would the oil filter protect me as far as that goes?
Yea it should mostly just oily dirt you should be fine as long as it wasn't metal. are you talking about the grommet or that stem? I,just replaced my stem couldn't get the grommet out but it still almost eliminated my rough idle. Id but the gasket on the block then put the cover on. Saves you from scratching the **** out of it when dealing with putting the cover back on.
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Yea it should mostly just oily dirt you should be fine as long as it wasn't metal. are you talking about the grommet or that stem? I,just replaced my stem couldn't get the grommet out but it still almost eliminated my rough idle. Id but the gasket on the block then put the cover on. Saves you from scratching the **** out of it when dealing with putting the cover back on.
Yeah just oily dirt and sand. I vaccumed it out but some might have fallen down inside there as I pulled off the valve cover. Next time I will clean that before I do the job. Grommet? You mean PCV valve? I tried to get the new one on there but it was a little too big. Might have to go the dealer route for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.