borla vs. kolak (sound) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > borla vs. kolak (sound)

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
fiddlyD

borla vs. kolak (sound)

i was hanging out with Othoni today and he has a 2001 WJ I-6 with intake and borla exhaust with carsound cat..

my question is this: the kolak uses a flowmaster 70.....which is louder?? the borla exhaust or the flowmaster 70??\
i dont want it too loud.... i want to cruise on the highway in peace... i loved Othonis sound but it may be a little too loud for me.... i want to get an idea of how the flowmaster compares to this.. i too have WJ I-6 with intake.

fiddlyD

fiddlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

I got Flomaaster 50 Delta on my ZJ v8 and it isn't loud atall.
With Flomaster mufler gets louder as number goes down 70, 50, 40 etc.
Get 70 or 50 SUV you'll like it.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
KingZeke

It is possible just because of the way they are made that the flowmaster muffler will still be louder than the Borla. The borla will idle with a very soft throaty tone and will only get loud as you step on the exceleration. Flowmaster will idle a bit louder and that might be the only real difference in sound. I would go with Borla or Magnaflow because of the design inside of the muffler. The more wide open straight flow usually results in better performance.
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]IMCO Exhaust[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Almighty 2" BB Club Member # 38 [/COLOR]
KingZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
fiddlyD

now im even more confused
Unread 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Fiddly,

Check out my sig to see my exhaust components.

Nice throaty sound without being overbearing. You can easily carry on a conversation with the windows down and the neighbors haven't complained. It does drone a bit at highway speeds (70mph) but it's not bad. I think you would be happy.

HTH

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
fiddlyD

anybody ever compare the two??

fiddlyD
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
CaliforniaJeep

I have the DF40 which has rich throaty note, I luv it. I can set a few car alarms off with it Delta Flow Flowmasters are desighned different from regular Flowmasters. The interior sound is less with a DF40 than a normal 40 series. The DF50 should be perfect for your needs!

Hope that helps
-Johnny-
Unread 01-27-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Ahh this post it a set-up for Warren to include his audio link

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Othoni

I have a friend that has a 00 WJ I6, he has a flowmaster 40 on it and it sound louder more throaty then my borla exhaust. FiddlyD if you want an exhaust thats not to loud I suggest you go with flowmaster 70 if you don't want to upset your neighbors.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.