Borla Exhaust review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Borla Exhaust review

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Borla Exhaust review

I installed a Borla cat-back exhaust last fall. The system is very well built with stainless steel. The clamps are higher quality than the standard cheapos at the parts store. The install was straight forward and fairly easy. The tough part was removing the old muffler. Some cutting and grinding was needed in tight quarters.

The sound is nice, a bit more throaty, but not overwhelming. However, when you get up to 70mph on the freeway, it droans like crazy. This is very annoying and makes your ears hurt after 50 miles.

The nice chrome tip is nice as long as you keep it clean. It did not take too long in a Minnesota winter for it to look like crap.

Overall, it is a well built system, but I will look at other mfgs. for my next jeep. Also I wanted to have a stainless header, headpipe, and hi flow cat to complete the system, but to no avail on a 2004 WJ. I hope this helps those looking for a new exhaust.

Unread 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

If you have the V8, they don't make headers due to space issues: There's not enough!

There should be high-flow cats available though, unless you have california emissions and have 2 pre-cats...

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
ntaousakis
1999 WJ 

I thought it was a waste of money. My tip is messed up now too. I wish I went the cheaper route and just got a different muffler installed. its 2 1/4" pipping on the borla and the same from factory.
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I've never had any real issues with the standard aluminized exhaust piping rusting within a few seasons, other then surface rust. To me going stainless, especially polished, is a bit of a waste.

I think you'd be very happy with the Kolak System.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

send an email to kolak@aol.com (Nick) and he sells great exhaust kits.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Hey Dave - thanks for the review. I've been waiting to see if someone would post their honest opinion about it. It seems that there are a lot of Flowmaster and Kolak fanaticals here

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

You know, it IS possible to clean and polish an exhaust tip.

A little elbow work will make it look as good, or better than, as new.

Does your WJ have the I6 or the V8,?

If you have the V8, do you have just the 2 small pre-cats, 2 pre-cats and a larger 3rd cat?
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I ran the Borla catback exhaust for a couple years.

I moved to Kolak's 2.5" FM70 setup. Much better and cheaper IMHO.
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Update

It has been many years since my install of the Borla system on my WJ 4.0L. Aside from the cosmetic blemish of the tip due to corrosion from constant MN winters and the system coming loose and melting the rear bumper cover to it, the structure of the system is good. I have a bit of undiagnosed OCD, so the tip kinda pisses me off and no, it will not come clean, it is pitted from salt spray. Yes, after many years after it has been installed...I would have rather have purchased a different system, just didn't get the cost vs gain benefit. I finally had a muffler shop weld some of the system together to stop the awful rattling. I have never been good at getting an exhaust system to stay where it needs to. I do suppose I could get a new tip and make it shiny again However, I rather have it coated in mud from my last trail adventure anyway. Final vote, don't waste your money, there are other systems available with similar benefits that are cheaper on the pocket book.
Unread 07-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Muffler el broko

I just fixed another exhaust leak as the band clamps on the Borla system just don't hold worth a damn. A week later, the sound of another exhaust leak. I look over the system and find that the sheetmetal on the outlet of the muffler has torn. Of course, after searching high and low, no receipt for their million mile warranty. They want about $200 to replace the same muffler, ridiculous! So I will probably be swapping an American made Cherry Bomb muffler in soon. I did get about 6 years of service out of it before it failed. In retrospect, i would have the system fully welded initially and toss the band clamps. I would also probably go with a different mfg and not waste so much money on it.
borla-muffler-fail.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

That last photo made me reminisce! I had a Borla catback on my 1993 ZJ way, way back in the late 1990s and the muffler tore in _exactly_ the same way. I threw the entire thing in the trash and put together a custom 3" setup which was the foundation for my Kolak Exhaust. So I owe it all to Borla for the motivation
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
That last photo made reminisce! I had a Borla catback on my 1993 ZJ way, way back in the late 1990s and the muffler tore in _exactly_ the same way. I threw the entire thing in the trash and put together a custom 3" setup which was the foundation for my Kolak Exhaust. So I owe it all to Borla for the motivation
Same here. Although to be fair the hanger behind the muffler was broken and I did a lot of fast driving off road. Borla sent me a replacement system under their "million mile" warranty.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
namtrah
2004 WJ 

No receipt

Yeah, it says they require the receipt. After two moves and about 6-7 years, no idea where it is. Probably in the ex-wife's file cabinet with my luck.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
namtrah
2004 WJ 

The request...

I sent this email off to Borla trying to get a response. I'm irritated I spent my hard earned cash on a product with a Million Mile Warranty and it all hinges on a receipt from 6 plus years ago. I will keep you all updated whether they come through or not.
sales@borla.com
Sir or Ma'am,
I installed a Borla cat back exhaust on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee approx. 6 years ago. The system has been flawless and sounds great...until recently. I developed what sounded like an exhaust leak. Upon inspection of the exhaust system, I was disappointed to see the rear of the muffler had a large crack partially around the outlet. I have attached a picture of the rear outlet that I mentioned. Also a pic showing it is indeed a Borla muffler as part of the cat back system.
The issue... I cannot locate the original sales receipt. I have relocated twice since it was purchased. The bottom line is that Borla offers a Million Mile Warranty. One of the selling points of the product. I need a replacement muffler for my Jeep Grand Cherokee as the exhaust leak is more than annoying. Borla should provide me a replacement per the warranty to the original purchaser.
I have several groups, forums and Facebook pages that are aware of my issue with my exhaust. A few others have voiced similar issues with the rear outlet, more or less, tearing. They have decided on other manufacturers to replace their system and wrote off Borla. I would like to report back to them that Borla stands behind their product and they will replace defective components. I will be sharing my message to you with them so they also can see if Borla will stand behind their warranty to the original purchaser. A piece of paper should not stop a company from standing behind their product. I may have returned a warranty card to Borla upon purchase, however, your website does not offer a way to check. If there is an online registration, then there should be record of that.
Please advise on whether Borla will stand behind the product I purchased?
Thank you,
David Hartman
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Good news!

Had a busy day, but have great news to report. My email was read this morning and I received a phone call from Borla, but missed it, returned it and missed them. Right before we left for the fair, got another call back. He asked where I originally purchased the catback and what date. I said I only have the original install instructions and cannot recall the online retailer. He says," So it may have been Borla online?" Hint hint....He says,"I just need a retailer and a date and we can warranty the system." He says," so it was in Feb of 2004? Maybe the 10th?" Sure, sounds good! He says, now that I have that information, I am going to send you a complete new system." Fricken sweet! So it was well worth pestering them and giving them a guilt trip. The guy I spoke to says it is common in the Jeep exhaust due to only one hanger in the front and one in the rear. He says even wranglers have a similar issue. So he fully admits that it is common and that he was surprised the catback lasted as long as it did! He tells me that it will arrive by fedex some time within the next week or so. He ends the conversation with, "Borla will stand behind their product 100%." I'm a happy camper with a new exhaust on the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.